HELP!!!

Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Rachael Reilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!!!

Hello, I wonder if there is anyone out there that can help me.

My husband and I together with our 21 and 15 year old daughters are hoping to emigrate to the USA early next summer. We are looking to start a business of our own as this seems to be the only way to get in and are looking at Florida, Georgia and South Carolina.

As you will probably understand the whole process fills me with a lot of anxiety, particularly the question of medical insurance as our youngest suffers from epilepsy (albeit mildly).

Any information and/or advice that you can give me would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Rachael.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!

[QUOTE=Rachael Reilly;6223200]Hello, I wonder if there is anyone out there that can help me.

My husband and I together with our 21 and 15 year old daughters are hoping to emigrate to the USA early next summer. We are looking to start a business of our own as this seems to be the only way to get in and are looking at Florida, Georgia and South Carolina.

As you will probably understand the whole process fills me with a lot of anxiety, particularly the question of medical insurance as our youngest suffers from epilepsy (albeit mildly).

Any information and/or advice that you can give me would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

US Immigration and Visa Forum
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

TexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really nice

You might want to look into group insurance for small businesses. That way the questionaire is less detailed, and they might not even ask about your children.

Insurance companies are government by state law, so what is possible varies quite a bit state by state. In Texas you need to be at least a 2-member LLC to qualify for group insurance. I read that in some states 1-member LLC's qualify for small business group insurance.

Attached is link, which outlines the basics of US health insurance, although mostly from an employee perspective:

http://usalivinginfo.com/insurance.html
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachael Reilly
Red flags:

* 21-year-old daughter is on her own -- unless you make her a 50% partner in the business. 15-year-old will age out in 5 years.

* no business experience stated -- "this seems to be the only way to get in" -- yet your permission to live here will always depend on your business

* health issues

I wouldn't invest in such a venture.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Red flags:

* 21-year-old daughter is on her own -- unless you make her a 50% partner in the business. 15-year-old will age out in 5 years.

* no business experience stated -- "this seems to be the only way to get in" -- yet your permission to live here will always depend on your business

* health issues

Yup!!! multi issues there ...
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:31 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! They said that to me and four years, thousands of dollars and one deportation later, here I am.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Hey! They said that to me and four years, thousands of dollars and one deportation later, here I am.
Yep -- but you can sell your skills freely in the marketplace, your sprog will be a dual citizen, and ginger hair ain't a health issue.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all

, and ginger hair ain't a health issue.
i beg to differ !!!

sorry roland
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

TexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really nice

Why so negative?

It is their dream. If it won't work, they will find out.

But it just might work out, as it did for so many people.

You never know what you can or can not achieve until you do it. You might just surprise yourself.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexasAlex
Why so negative?

You never know what you can or can not achieve until you do it. You might just surprise yourself.
Part of it is the telling them the truth early so a fly-by-night lawyer doesn't scam them.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Why so negative?

obviously you don't know the workings of an E-2
good for certain people but not all ..
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Why so negative?

We'd rather see people find out their dream won't work out before they've lost their 500k that's all. If people only want the nice answers to their questions they are asking in the wrong place.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:41 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
We'd rather see people find out their dream won't work out before they've lost their 500k that's all. If people only want the nice answers to their questions they are asking in the wrong place.
I agree ..I would rather somebody came back and say you were wrong
and it does happen ..

That turn around and say ..you told me wrong and I lost everything..

Point in question ...On my former Florida site I warned people about a
scam by Royal Development and Michael Leggett...that was in 2005
and most took heed ..a few did not and lost everything...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle266520.ece
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:50 pm
Septicity

Why so negative?

I'm single, have a great business idea, and want to take the American market by storm. Answer: Great -- get an E2 and come show these bloody stupid yanks how to run a business properly. That's what the visa was designed for!

I want to move permanently to Florida but:
* I have kids who will age out.
* Somebody in the family has health problems.
* We could just about raise the capital by cashing in our UK house.
* Nobody in the family has ever shown any entrepreneurial skill.
and the only visa that fits is the E2, a recipe for disaster in many cases.

Why is it a good idea to encourage people to do stupid things?

Last edited by fatbrit; Apr 17th 2008 at 10:04 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Since it appears that nobody has posted this link yet, read this succinct article about the legal means of emigrating to the US.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA