Help!!!!!

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 5:27 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help!!!!! Any Brits in NJ?

I've been here for a month, my boyfriend got a transfer, we were living together, so it seemed like the right thing to come here. Homesick? Understatement of the year. I can't work, because of the visa I got and I've got nothing to do all day.
Anyone who was in a similar situation and got through it?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 5:51 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same thing, I came over here on a work visa while she had to just sit and do nothing. I can say that it was stressing to have just one income, one car (no credit history meant a huge 20% APR at that time) and a bored partner. Luckily, I found an apartment that enabled her to walk to nearby shops and entertainment. She also went back to her homeland frequently for a couple of months at a time, and although it felt like hell at the time, we are both extremely pleased that we did not cave in and go back.

Stick with it, sure you'll get homesick, it's only natural, but don't look back with rose tinted glasses...a few people that were in the same boat at that time did exactly that and returned home, only to regret it later. The world's an extremely small place these days, what with the internet and email, and you only need to spend a few hours on a flight to be physically back there. Trust me, hang on...changing country is a hard time for anyone, but give it at least a year and you'll be surprised how established you become.

Best of luck!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about doing some voluntary work? It will get you out the house at least.

Ash
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 6:39 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default Re: Help!!!!!

Originally posted by hayley82
I've been here for a month, my boyfriend got a transfer, we were living together, so it seemed like the right thing to come here. Homesick? Understatement of the year. I can't work, because of the visa I got and I've got nothing to do all day.
Anyone who was in a similar situation and got through it?
where in NJ are you?

if you're not married, you must be on a visa waiver?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I know that feeling. Even with 3 kids (in school at the time though), I was pacing the floor and at that time there wasn't even internet or email to occupy me. So, I went back to school and got a degree- also did voluntary work and home-schooled my daughter. It was a long 7 years before I got employment authorisation- I would have died with boredom if I hadn't done something.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:12 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by Taffyles
I know that feeling. Even with 3 kids (in school at the time though), I was pacing the floor and at that time there wasn't even internet or email to occupy me. So, I went back to school and got a degree- also did voluntary work and home-schooled my daughter. It was a long 7 years before I got employment authorisation- I would have died with boredom if I hadn't done something.
the reason I ask about the visa you are on is because your options may be very limited, sure, you could do voluntar work (I think) but you will be resricted to a maximum number of hours per week, in order to study, you will need a visa.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 8:00 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
where in NJ are you?

if you're not married, you must be on a visa waiver?
I think I've got a B2 visa, just a tourist visa, I'm in for 6 months, then have to go home, then come back and so on. I'm in Hoboken, which is nice to be able to walk around, but with 1 income we're not loaded, there's only so far you can walk in a square mile!!
Thank you for all your encouragement, it's nice to know others have done it ok!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I've got a B2 visa, just a tourist visa, I'm in for 6 months, then have to go home, then come back and so on. I'm in Hoboken, which is nice to be able to walk around, but with 1 income we're not loaded, there's only so far you can walk in a square mile!!

Come and watch the footbal at mulligans on 1st, i'll be wearing the England Shirt, that should keep you entertained for 90mins.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:03 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I'm sure someone must be near you Hayley! -- I'm about an hour and a half away in Connecticut. I'll be down your way on saturday, but am pressed for time.

Start a new post asking if anyone is in NJ?

I've got it... pm me your phone number if you like... I know how to find brits in NJ!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

My first time out here I was so miserable, my husband expected me gone everytime he came home from work for 6 months, slowly things got better, I missed Uk terribly more family than place I think. Anyway that was the first 5 yrs in Arkansas, then returned to UK for 6 yrs and here we are again going through the same misery just in a different state. From past experience it won't be so bad after a while but it is hard getting to that point. It is expensive to go home to Uk and have just been now feel worse. I try to just look forward to a better time and make the most of what I have now.
Hope you feel better soon about things, I am volunteering in a couple of places and yes it not only relives the boredom but gives you a chance to hang out with some usually friendly people & talk to someone that isn't it yur family for a change... that or you end up befriending the shop assistants and postman!!! along with anyone else you can find...
Sue
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
I'm sure someone must be near you Hayley! -- I'm about an hour and a half away in Connecticut. I'll be down your way on saturday, but am pressed for time.

Start a new post asking if anyone is in NJ?

I've got it... pm me your phone number if you like... I know how to find brits in NJ!

Im in NJ!

I know there are a few others too, if you wanna head in to the city there are hundreds,

try this link if you want to meet some, ive been to this a couple of times and they are a friendly bunch

http://brit.meetup.com/members/321

Like I said earlier, Mulligans on 1st about 2.45.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Nathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Matt,
I've been going to Mulligan's for the England games. Are you heading there today? I'm meeting a couple of mates in there.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Nathan
Hey Matt,
I've been going to Mulligan's for the England games. Are you heading there today? I'm meeting a couple of mates in there.
Yep I am, leaving work around 2.00.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Nathan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll keep a lookout for the guy with an England shirt on and buy you a pint! Roooooooney.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:15 pm
dealing with it

Originally posted by Nathan
I'll keep a lookout for the guy with an England shirt on and buy you a pint! Roooooooney.
I hate you both...

I'm going to miss it and I can't even get FiveLive at 2500ft

Bastards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.