Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hello from the Land of Lincoln!

Hello from the Land of Lincoln!

Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:35 am
Just Joined

katie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hello from the Land of Lincoln!

I've been reviewing these boards now for a little while so thought i should introduce myself. My name is Katie and I'm a UK citizen currently living in Illinois, just across the river from St. Louis. I've only been here 4 months and am only just beginning to get my first homesickness pangs- mostly for ridiculous things like chocolate, but then I was a chocoholic! My husband is busy finishing up his degree course so I haven't really had the chance to meet new people, especially any Brits. I seem to be the only foreigner in this town, but that's ok, the accent certainly gets me a lot of looks! Just really looking for advice for how to deal with being away from "home" and not feeling ready to call the U.S your home yet, or if you live in Illinois or near St. Louis lets get something going for all us expats!

Katie
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:41 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from the Land of Lincoln!

Originally Posted by katie_UK
I've been reviewing these boards now for a little while so thought i should introduce myself. My name is Katie and I'm a UK citizen currently living in Illinois, just across the river from St. Louis. I've only been here 4 months and am only just beginning to get my first homesickness pangs- mostly for ridiculous things like chocolate, but then I was a chocoholic! My husband is busy finishing up his degree course so I haven't really had the chance to meet new people, especially any Brits. I seem to be the only foreigner in this town, but that's ok, the accent certainly gets me a lot of looks! Just really looking for advice for how to deal with being away from "home" and not feeling ready to call the U.S your home yet, or if you live in Illinois or near St. Louis lets get something going for all us expats!

Katie
Hello Katie, nice to meet you We're in New Jersey now, used to live in the Chicago burbs.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:54 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and Welcome katie, we used to live in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, loved it there
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums

Seem to be finding everyone that's moved out of your neck of the woods though *lol*
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Katie just keep popping in to BE, we've all been there mate.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:50 am
Just Joined

katie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone who's replied so far! I'm finding more and more what an invaluable resource this site is. It might sound silly but to just know that others are going through similar things and to read other peoples experiences makes me feel less like an "outsider" here in the U.S!

Katie
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:07 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome we must be near each other.I live in Mascoutah.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Katie
Hello and welcome to BE.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

My name is Katie and I'm a UK citizen currently living in Illinois, just across the river from St. Louis.
no offence, but isn't that "East St Louis" and a bit of a cackhole?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:55 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone who's replied so far! I'm finding more and more what an invaluable resource this site is. It might sound silly but to just know that others are going through similar things and to read other peoples experiences makes me feel less like an "outsider" here in the U.S!

Katie
We aim to please. Welcome, glad you enjoy the site. We certainly have a great bunch of people who know exactly how you feel.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

hello
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
no offence, but isn't that "East St Louis" and a bit of a cackhole?
East St. Louis is a cackhole, but I don't live there. I live 20 mins away, I wasn't trying to be specific with where I live, but I actually live closer to SIU edwardsville. There is no way I'd want to live in East St. Louis.

Katie
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:36 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

East St. Louis is a cackhole, but I don't live there. I live 20 mins away, I wasn't trying to be specific with where I live, but I actually live closer to SIU edwardsville. There is no way I'd want to live in East St. Louis.

Katie
My oldest goes to SIUE. Are you in Troy area?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clydegirl
My oldest goes to SIUE. Are you in Troy area?
I'm useless with the local geography but I think we're just off the Interstate to Troy. We live very close to Glen Carbon but I guess we are zoned as Edwardsville, I don't understand how they zone towns here! My husband used to help teach in Alton, but have no idea if that's classed as Troy area or not. I just moved here 4 months ago so still not to sure of local towns etc.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:49 pm
roamin in the gloamin

I'm useless with the local geography but I think we're just off the Interstate to Troy. We live very close to Glen Carbon but I guess we are zoned as Edwardsville, I don't understand how they zone towns here! My husband used to help teach in Alton, but have no idea if that's classed as Troy area or not. I just moved here 4 months ago so still not to sure of local towns etc.
You're about 30 miles from us then.I'm only up there if I need to pick daughter up. It's a nice campus for walking and bike trails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.