Hello all

Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

celticwarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello all

Hi to everyone who is interested to read this.

here is the base line.

wife ,two teenagers and me......... fed up with cold damp weather in Ireland have decided o try somewhere like Florida ( but open to ideas and sugestions)..... wife works with sprecial needs kids especially autistic kids, kids still at college (17 and 15) and i have three businesses ( one with 2 stores specializing in candy, a computer repair and assistance centre and the other working with businesses to help develop their image and focus on their goals)

basically what we are asking is for help and advice about visas, places to live and schooling and work oppurtunities.. we have been reading these posts for a while and we thought if we throw this into the public domain we could get first hand advice and suggestions from people on the ground who have had experiences that can be related too.

all replies positive or negative really welcome..............

thank you for your time for reading this
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:59 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hello all

Have you ever visited the US or lived here for any amount of time? How do your kids feel about the move?
Its a big thing to move to another country, especially for kids.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

You say you're from Ireland so I take it that you're from the Republic of Ireland.

The following BE Wiki article will be of some help to summarize your possible routes to the US. Bear in mind, it was written for British citizens in mind.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is sunny and warm and a lot easier to move to, if you speak the language you have more choice in jobs too.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

celticwarrior is an unknown quantity at this point

Family are all on for new move and new expreriences. kids seem happy....spain would be a easier move no doubt but the language barrier previals avnfd i dont fancy running or owning an irish bar. 8-)
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticwarrior
Family are all on for new move and new expreriences. kids seem happy....spain would be a easier move no doubt but the language barrier previals avnfd i dont fancy running or owning an irish bar. 8-)
Both countries have English as common language, but don't think that you won't have to learn a whole new language. There are plenty of words that do not mean the same thing. Granted it may be easier for you to learn the 'language' here, but Spain will be a heck of a lot easier to immigrate to.

From what you describe as your current employment, I would surmise that you will have extreme difficulty finding a visa you will qualify for. Unless you have upwards of $500k to invest in a US company.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you looked at the wiki link posted, you'd see how hard it is to come here.

Getting lucky on the lottery if your able is your best bet.

With kids, the investment option in a business might not be a very good one, depends if you want to stay long term, how old the kids are etc.

With the current economic climate and the businesses your running at the moment, I'd stay put personally because it's far more pricey and harder failing here than back in the UK. If you were young, in your 20's without kids, I'd probably say go for it, but you've got more responsibilities now so you shouldn't be so cavalier about things, especially when you have to consider the need for medical insurance etc.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:50 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine it could be potentially quite traumatic switching schools at ages 15 and 17. The US curriculum and school culture are markedly different from the UK, and, I assume, Ireland too.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:15 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You say you're from Ireland so I take it that you're from the Republic of Ireland.
Glad you clarified. I thought he was from French Polynesia.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it always Florida
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:21 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Getting lucky on the lottery if your able is your best bet.
The Diversity Visa lottery if a qualifying person is "chargeable" to the ROI or NI?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The Diversity Visa lottery if a qualifying person is "chargeable" to the ROI or NI?
Born there, usually, or with a spouse born there.

Already discussed a few months ago:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568080
Old Mar 30th 2009, 8:16 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Why is it always Florida
Florida is the USA's London. What i mean by that is when Americans talk about England they always mention London. When People in the UK visit the US its always Florida.
You get me ?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 8:40 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Why would you assume that ??
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:02 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Why is it always Florida
Miami Vice was more popular than Taxi or Night Court?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.