British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hello all (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hello-all-600641/)

celticwarrior Mar 29th 2009 8:34 pm

Hello all

Hi to everyone who is interested to read this.

here is the base line.

wife ,two teenagers and me......... fed up with cold damp weather in Ireland have decided o try somewhere like Florida ( but open to ideas and sugestions)..... wife works with sprecial needs kids especially autistic kids, kids still at college (17 and 15) and i have three businesses ( one with 2 stores specializing in candy, a computer repair and assistance centre and the other working with businesses to help develop their image and focus on their goals)

basically what we are asking is for help and advice about visas, places to live and schooling and work oppurtunities.. we have been reading these posts for a while and we thought if we throw this into the public domain we could get first hand advice and suggestions from people on the ground who have had experiences that can be related too.

all replies positive or negative really welcome..............

thank you for your time for reading this

YoungSteve17 Mar 29th 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Hello all

Have you ever visited the US or lived here for any amount of time? How do your kids feel about the move?
Its a big thing to move to another country, especially for kids.

NC Penguin Mar 29th 2009 9:24 pm

You say you're from Ireland so I take it that you're from the Republic of Ireland.

The following BE Wiki article will be of some help to summarize your possible routes to the US. Bear in mind, it was written for British citizens in mind.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Mummy in the foothills Mar 29th 2009 10:24 pm

Spain is sunny and warm and a lot easier to move to, if you speak the language you have more choice in jobs too.

celticwarrior Mar 29th 2009 10:44 pm

Family are all on for new move and new expreriences. kids seem happy....spain would be a easier move no doubt but the language barrier previals avnfd i dont fancy running or owning an irish bar. 8-)

Bluegrass Lass Mar 29th 2009 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by celticwarrior (Post 7433063)
Family are all on for new move and new expreriences. kids seem happy....spain would be a easier move no doubt but the language barrier previals avnfd i dont fancy running or owning an irish bar. 8-)

Both countries have English as common language, but don't think that you won't have to learn a whole new language. There are plenty of words that do not mean the same thing. Granted it may be easier for you to learn the 'language' here, but Spain will be a heck of a lot easier to immigrate to.

From what you describe as your current employment, I would surmise that you will have extreme difficulty finding a visa you will qualify for. Unless you have upwards of $500k to invest in a US company.

Bob Mar 30th 2009 12:47 am

If you looked at the wiki link posted, you'd see how hard it is to come here.

Getting lucky on the lottery if your able is your best bet.

With kids, the investment option in a business might not be a very good one, depends if you want to stay long term, how old the kids are etc.

With the current economic climate and the businesses your running at the moment, I'd stay put personally because it's far more pricey and harder failing here than back in the UK. If you were young, in your 20's without kids, I'd probably say go for it, but you've got more responsibilities now so you shouldn't be so cavalier about things, especially when you have to consider the need for medical insurance etc.

Octang Frye Mar 30th 2009 12:50 am

I would imagine it could be potentially quite traumatic switching schools at ages 15 and 17. The US curriculum and school culture are markedly different from the UK, and, I assume, Ireland too.

Manc Mar 30th 2009 1:15 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 7432819)
You say you're from Ireland so I take it that you're from the Republic of Ireland.

Glad you clarified. I thought he was from French Polynesia.

Ash UK/US Mar 30th 2009 3:46 am

Why is it always Florida :confused:

snowbunny Mar 30th 2009 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7433332)
Getting lucky on the lottery if your able is your best bet.

The Diversity Visa lottery if a qualifying person is "chargeable" to the ROI or NI?

JAJ Mar 30th 2009 4:41 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 7433620)
The Diversity Visa lottery if a qualifying person is "chargeable" to the ROI or NI?

Born there, usually, or with a spouse born there.

Already discussed a few months ago:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568080

YoungSteve17 Mar 30th 2009 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 7433567)

Florida is the USA's London. What i mean by that is when Americans talk about England they always mention London. When People in the UK visit the US its always Florida.
You get me ?

BigDavyG Mar 30th 2009 8:40 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 7432819)

Why would you assume that ??

Xebedee Mar 30th 2009 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 7433567)

Miami Vice was more popular than Taxi or Night Court?