Hello again

Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:52 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice
Default Re: Hello again

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
I live in Pittsburgh too near Cranberry north of the city - where are you?
I know Cranberry - I remember when Krispy Cremem opened ! LOLOL... I have friends from Mars.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 2:26 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Hi. We are in Upper Saint Clair in the South Hills. I know where Cranberry is as my OH occasionally works up there.
Any recommendations for things to see and do around Pittsburgh?
Lots of things - the incline, as someone else said, for the view; best thing to do is get a local guide book. Look out for the City Paper as well - free on street corners downtown, and most good stores.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:49 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of things - the incline, as someone else said, for the view; best thing to do is get a local guide book. Look out for the City Paper as well - free on street corners downtown, and most good stores.
Thanks for the info. We pick up the city paper if we see it and thanks to that we went to Fright Night at Kenneywood. A great evening. We plan to do the incline. Been skating at PPG Plaza. Took teenage daughters shopping to Shadyside and Sewickley. (Which is where we found out that you are not meant to jay walk) Off to Ohiopyle(?) at the weekend. OH gets all around the city with work. He is based in the South Side on East Carson street so we go down there quite a bit.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

We spent New Year's staying with friends who live in South Park which is right next to Upper St. Clair! We had a great time! Have you been to Mt. Lebanon yet -- that was very much like an English small town to me! We also spent a day with our boys at the SnoZone where they went tubing, hit the IKEA store, went to Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's famously designed house and went to the incline! Our friends are trying to persuade us to move up there so they made sure we had a good time! The whole middle school starting in 5th grade would be a worry, although isn't Upper St. Clair one of the best school districts in the country? Anyway, enjoy the area -- there seems to be so much for families to do.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:59 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
We spent New Year's staying with friends who live in South Park which is right next to Upper St. Clair! We had a great time! Have you been to Mt. Lebanon yet -- that was very much like an English small town to me! We also spent a day with our boys at the SnoZone where they went tubing, hit the IKEA store, went to Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's famously designed house and went to the incline! Our friends are trying to persuade us to move up there so they made sure we had a good time! The whole middle school starting in 5th grade would be a worry, although isn't Upper St. Clair one of the best school districts in the country? Anyway, enjoy the area -- there seems to be so much for families to do.
Hello
Yes Upper Saint Clair is a good school district. My academic daughter loves it,my less academic teenager misses the arts courses she was doing in the UK. She wants to go to Art School. But she has joined in with the arts stuff they do at school. Also she was hopeless at maths in the UK and hated it, also sciences. Here they have put her in the right level class,really helped her and she has just got A's in both subjects and it has really given her a boost.
There are two middle schools in Upper Saint Clair. One is grade 5 and 6 and then they move to another middle school for 7 and 8. I don't know if that is normal for the US. At least they all move schools together. My middle schooler doesn't like the school and at least she has only two years there.

We nearly moved to Mt Lebanon which also has excellent schools. We liked both areas but couldn't find a house we liked in Mt Lebanon and for lots of reasons we only had a week to find a house.
Did you see the bison in South Park?
I like it here so far. (But there have been days when I would have been on the next plane back to the UK )

I assume from your name you are originally from Yorks? I am from Leeds...many moons ago.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

debbie#1 will become famous soon enoughdebbie#1 will become famous soon enough

Glad to see you made it OK to Pittsburgh, I wondered what had happened to you. Hope you are doing OK and if you ever want to get together just pm me.

Debbie

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Hello
Yes Upper Saint Clair is a good school district. My academic daughter loves it,my less academic teenager misses the arts courses she was doing in the UK. She wants to go to Art School. But she has joined in with the arts stuff they do at school. Also she was hopeless at maths in the UK and hated it, also sciences. Here they have put her in the right level class,really helped her and she has just got A's in both subjects and it has really given her a boost.
There are two middle schools in Upper Saint Clair. One is grade 5 and 6 and then they move to another middle school for 7 and 8. I don't know if that is normal for the US. At least they all move schools together. My middle schooler doesn't like the school and at least she has only two years there.

We nearly moved to Mt Lebanon which also has excellent schools. We liked both areas but couldn't find a house we liked in Mt Lebanon and for lots of reasons we only had a week to find a house.
Did you see the bison in South Park?
I like it here so far. (But there have been days when I would have been on the next plane back to the UK )

I assume from your name you are originally from Yorks? I am from Leeds...many moons ago.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

debbie#1 will become famous soon enoughdebbie#1 will become famous soon enough

It's nice to know of another english person in Pittsburgh - I live in Moon right by the airport - maybe we could all get together sometime including Jumping Doris.

I live in Pittsburgh too near Cranberry north of the city - where are you?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:07 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbie#1
It's nice to know of another english person in Pittsburgh - I live in Moon right by the airport - maybe we could all get together sometime including Jumping Doris.
July 4th, point state park ?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:44 pm
Who?

July 4th, point state park ?
I'll be on holiday then but would like to get together another time.