British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   heinz mulligatawny soup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/heinz-mulligatawny-soup-361738/)

Leslie Mar 17th 2006 3:03 am

Re: heinz mulligatawny soup

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Never tasted Moroccan cuisine. There's a restaurant quite close by. But still haven't been able to drag hubby there. The one I'm talking about has dumplings in it. I saw it on a cooking show once awhile back.

If it had a beef stock base.....That is actually a French soup commonly served in upscale restaurants in Morocco. You wouldn't normally find it in Moroccan home cooking though. Moroccan cuisine is heavily influenced by the French Haute cuisine because of the long-term French occupation. I don't have a recipe for it but I have eaten it in restaurants and it is delicious. You probably won't find anything if you search for a "Moroccan dumpling stew" but will have more luck looking on a French Cooking website.

Hope that helps. :)

Leslie Mar 17th 2006 3:08 am

Originally Posted by clydegirl
should be spicy.
Here's another recipe to compare.
http://www.soupsong.com/rchickn5.html
Hope that link works.

Ooohh... excellent. :) Thanks. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. :cool:

Desdemona Mar 17th 2006 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Leslie66
If it had a beef stock base.....That is actually a French soup commonly served in upscale restaurants in Morocco. You wouldn't normally find it in Moroccan home cooking though. Moroccan cuisine is heavily influenced by the French Haute cuisine because of the long-term French occupation. I don't have a recipe for it but I have eaten it in restaurants and it is delicious. You probably won't find anything if you search for a "Moroccan dumpling stew" but will have more luck looking on a French Cooking website.

Hope that helps. :)

Will do hon, and thanks. All I remember is that the dumplings were spicy and harissa paste was one of the ingredients.

Bob Mar 17th 2006 4:29 am

Originally Posted by vegas
Heinz mulligatawny soup is Beef curry yet this recipe uses chicken maybe mulligatawny just means curry.

I wouldn't have a clue, I've never had it...

Leslie Mar 17th 2006 4:43 am

Will do hon, and thanks. All I remember is that the dumplings were spicy and harissa paste was one of the ingredients.

That sounds like lamb stew .... I've only ever had it served over couscous but I found this recipe that has the dumplings:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...th_70880.shtml

This is a basic lamb stew (I don't ever measure anything)

Lamb Stew

olive oil
1 onion, chopped
lamb fillet sliced thinly (chicken breast is good too or just vegetables)
2 carrots - cut into chunks
2 potatoes - cut into chunks
couple spoonfuls harissa paste
couple teaspoons of pressed garlic
2 cans chicken stock (I don't mess around with saving my own stock)
salt and pepper
1 can chick peas drained and rinsed
1 can chopped/diced tomatoes
a couple of handfuls of baby spinach leaves
one pickled lemon (just juice a lemon if you don't want to learn how to pickle them).

sauté the onions in the olive oil for a few minutes

add lamb and cook until just brown

add potatoes, carrots, garlic, and harissa - sauté for a couple of minutes before adding tomatoes, lemon juice, and chicken stock.

season with salt, pepper, and cumin.

cook at high heat until potatoes and carrots are soft

add chickpeas and baby spinach.... boil at high until spinach is cooked (just takes a minute or two).

This can be served with bread, over cous cous or rice, or you could try the dumpling recipe in the link above.

It is divine and pretty healthy. Some people use sweet potatoes but I don't like them as well as the potatoes and carrots.

During cooking.... you may find the stew is too thick ..... just add more water.

In lieu of chicken stock you can use water with a couple of chicken bullion cubes.

Desdemona Mar 17th 2006 4:51 am

That sounds like lamb stew .... I've only ever had it served over couscous but I found this recipe that has the dumplings:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...th_70880.shtml

This is a basic lamb stew (I don't ever measure anything)

Lamb Stew

You must have been reading my mind :) Cos I found the dumpling recipe I wanted.

100 gms self-raising flour
50 gms plain shredded suet
4 tbsp. water
2 tsp. Harissa paste
2 tbsp. chopped parsley

And make the dumplings in the usual way

And thanks for your own personal stew recipe, Les. You've made my day :) Karma will be sent when I can. Yum!!!

Edit: And believe it or not I have an unopened jar of pickled lemons :)

Leslie Mar 17th 2006 5:04 am

You must have been reading my mind :) Cos I found the dumpling recipe I wanted.

100 gms self-raising flour
50 gms plain shredded suet
4 tbsp. water
2 tsp. Harissa paste
2 tbsp. chopped parsley

And make the dumplings in the usual way

And thanks for your own personal stew recipe, Les. You've made my day :) Karma will be sent when I can. Yum!!!

Edit: And believe it or not I have an unopened jar of pickled lemons :)

Excellent. I will be much better with the pickled lemon. Just remove the lemon prior to serving. Also, the chicken stock is really supposed to be lamb stock (but again I never save mine) ..... but if you have access to lamb stock that would be even better.

Desdemona Mar 17th 2006 5:16 am

remove the lemon prior to serving.

Good tip :) Thanks and Smoochies.

TRPardoe Mar 17th 2006 9:53 am

Heinz mulligatawny soup is Beef curry yet this recipe uses chicken maybe mulligatawny just means curry.

I think the original Hindi words mean Pepper Soup.

Google it, there are dozens of recipes.

TRPardoe Mar 17th 2006 9:56 am

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I think the original Hindi words mean Pepper Soup.

Google it, there are dozens of recipes.

I found the reference. It is a pair of Tamil words meaning Pepper Water

Lord Lionheart Mar 17th 2006 9:58 am

heinz mulligatawny soup

God I miss this soup has anyone seen it anywhere in the States

Yes

Leslie Mar 17th 2006 11:18 am

Good tip :) Thanks and Smoochies.

Another thought.....

Pickled lemons are very salty so you may want to avoid salting the stew. I love salty food but if you are not a big salt fan you may want to use low sodium chicken broth. IMO the dish is better salty, but you can always salt to taste upon serving.

Enjoy :)

Desdemona Mar 17th 2006 11:26 am

Another thought.....

Pickled lemons are very salty so you may want to avoid salting the stew. I love salty food but if you are not a big salt fan you may want to use low sodium chicken broth. IMO the dish is better salty, but you can always salt to taste upon serving.

Enjoy :)

This is what I love about tried and tested recipes :) I shall not fail to call it "Leslie's Moroccan Lamb and Dumplings" and pass it down to my children's children's children's children's children ;) Thanks gorgeous.

Leslie Mar 17th 2006 11:44 am

This is what I love about tried and tested recipes :) I shall not fail to call it "Leslie's Moroccan Lamb and Dumplings" and pass it down to my children's children's children's children's children ;) Thanks gorgeous.

The thought of yummy little hot dumplings has me all a tither. :D I may branch out and make it with dumplings. :cool:

The broth should have body but shouldn't be too thick.

(think beef stew as opposed to cream of mushroom soup)

The starch (from the potatoes, carrots, and chick peas) is normally a good enough thickening agent. If you find it too watery, a dab of corn starch is ok... but really, not much at all. :cool:

gruffbrown Mar 17th 2006 11:47 am

The thought of yummy little hot dumplings has me all a tither. :D I may branch out and make it with dumplings. :cool:

The broth should have body but shouldn't be too thick.

(think beef stew as opposed to cream of mushroom soup)

The starch (from the potatoes, carrots, and chick peas) is normally a good enough thickening agent. If you find it too watery, a dab of corn starch is ok... but really, not much at all. :cool:

Without getting deeply involved in the cookery thing, what is Suet called over here? If I ask at the store, they slap a slab of beef fat on the counter. Meaxuna once told me to try the Asian Market stores, but no luck there. I've tried Matso ball mix, but it ain't the same.