Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heindsight for the hasty! UK to USA (Mid-West)

Heindsight for the hasty! UK to USA (Mid-West)

Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Daniel_Robert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heindsight for the hasty! UK to USA (Mid-West)

Thanks everyone for your input; it's all greatly appreciated.

Vikingsail, we get spoilt for holidays here, I get around 30 days given to me at the beginning of the financial year, as do most over here. Good tip for the job hunting front too. I just also heard from another source that Ann Arbor is actually very expensive (one of my wife's friends is visiting from Chicago). We may well look a little further afield. No, I'm not a Harry!

Rob106, NC is actually my wife's favourite state, if it wasn't for her family being in the mid-west we would have liked to move there too. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Mrken30, good schools is one of my priorities. Thanks.

SanDiegogirl, I appreciate I am being vague with regards to employment, I have not yet got it all figured out but I have time on my side. Experience wise, I have 7 years military as an officer leading a platoon of 47 men, including Afghanistan and Iraq, before that and in no particular order, I have managed a gym for a year, managed a team of 30 special effects artist for 2 years, taught classes of 60 students in China for a year, got a BSc in Media, and various other qualifications and diplomas in Leadership and such. So my background is a little scattered and abstract. In terms of industries and fields, I have been thinking about this for the last couple of years, yet have not yet settled on a final answer. I looked into event management, among many other things and even considered retraining as a Physiotherapist, but this would be too risky as anything I did over here will seemingly not transfer too well over there. I've considered other fields such as construction, and many others. Short answer, I don't know.

I have done research and continue to, Ann Arbor seems to have a big medical background, which I have no experience in.

I just used maternity leave as an example as it's on our mind at the moment as we are sorting out our own. It should be a non-issue for future kids as my wife wants to be a stay at home mum. Your point about medical insurance is a very good one though, it's hard to have a job lined up before we move over, but we don't want to move over without a job lined up! Catch-22. We are also discussing the point you raised about British citizenship, we have thought a lot about this, our current view though, is that we are not terribly keen on putting everything on hold while we qualify for this, if we make a plan to move over I will be looking to start a new career and be climbing a ladder somewhere, asap. Thanks again.