Reload this Page >

Heathrow airport taxi

Heathrow airport taxi

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Henry08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heathrow airport taxi

Hi,
I am struggling to choose right kind of heathrow airport taxi services, will anyone suggest me to right kind of service..
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heathrow airport taxi

Generally I would try to avoid using taxis to or from Heathrow. Where are you trying to get to or from?
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

I have no affiliation with this company, but have used Heathrow Airport Cars on several occasions. London Heathrow Cars | Heathrow Taxis | Heathrow to London | Airport Transfers
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 12:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Generally I would try to avoid using taxis to or from Heathrow. Where are you trying to get to or from?
Why? We used a taxi from and to LHR on our recent trip, it made for a very relaxed experience in both directions, though not a cheap one. We were picked up at LHR by a taxi from the city we were going to, and the same driver took us back.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 12:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why? We used a taxi from and to LHR on our recent trip, it made for a very relaxed experience in both directions, though not a cheap one. We were picked up at LHR by a taxi from the city we were going to, and the same driver took us back.
Was this an actual taxi? I thought for longer journeys, prebooked, there would be some kind of hire car type option that would be cheaper and equally reliable.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Was this an actual taxi? I thought for longer journeys, prebooked, there would be some kind of hire car type option that would be cheaper and equally reliable.
An actual taxi, with a Hackney Cab badge, but charging a fixed fee (not on the clock). It was the driver my mother normally uses, locally (on the clock, she doesn't drive - never has) and for airport runs.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have recent experience with this and I'd say DO NOT USE A BLACK CAB!

I had to go to High Wycombe (Bucks New University) yesterday to conduct a PhD viva. I was told to take a cab because it would not be much different than the cost of a train.

Being used to taking taxis from airports in the US, after landing at LHR, I naively followed the signs for "Taxis", and was led to a Black cab taxi rank.

Long story short: Black cab from LHR to High Wycombe cost £115.50. "Regular" taxi back to LHR from High Wycombe the next day was £30.

I'd say Google and find some local taxi companies and call/email them to ask whether you can call them from LHR to order a taxi, then use that number when you land. Or pre-order a taxi.

I think the mark-up by the London taxi cabs is disgracefully extortionate. I was also pissed off at the driver's attitude when I asked him (before we left) if I could pay by credit card.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
..... Long story short: Black cab from LHR to High Wycombe cost £115.50. ......
Holy cow! You paid more than three times the rate/ per mile than I did! The rate back was very similar, actually slightly less per mile.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Holy cow! You paid more than three times the rate/ per mile than I did! The rate back was very similar, actually slightly less per mile.
I plan to call the London taxi cab company (there is a phone number on the receipt), because the driver also added a 10% surcharge, I presume for using a credit card. However, that wasn't explained when I was paying. I was told the fee would be £105. I saw him type £105.00 into the handset, but when he handed it to me, there was just a screen that said "Enter your PIN code". It wasn't until I got into the hotel and looked at the receipt that I realised I had been charged £115.50.

I will never ever use a black cab again in my life.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have recent experience with this and I'd say DO NOT USE A BLACK CAB!

I had to go to High Wycombe (Bucks New University) yesterday to conduct a PhD viva. I was told to take a cab because it would not be much different than the cost of a train.

Being used to taking taxis from airports in the US, after landing at LHR, I naively followed the signs for "Taxis", and was led to a Black cab taxi rank.

Long story short: Black cab from LHR to High Wycombe cost £115.50. "Regular" taxi back to LHR from High Wycombe the next day was £30.

I'd say Google and find some local taxi companies and call/email them to ask whether you can call them from LHR to order a taxi, then use that number when you land. Or pre-order a taxi.

I think the mark-up by the London taxi cabs is disgracefully extortionate. I was also pissed off at the driver's attitude when I asked him (before we left) if I could pay by credit card.
Yes black cabs are very expensive, especially from LHR. About 12,000 recently demonstated about the competition of mobile apps UBER, who are about 70% cheaper I think.
You won't find a poor black cabbie unless he only works 2 hours/week.
Try and get a quote first.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 3:42 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by audio
Yes black cabs are very expensive, especially from LHR. About 12,000 recently demonstated about the competition of mobile apps UBER, who are about 70% cheaper I think.
You won't find a poor black cabbie unless he only works 2 hours/week.
Try and get a quote first.
I think it was a learning experience for the university (I won't pay ultimately as they have to reimburse me). I don't think they realised how much of a mark-up there is on black cabs.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

We live slightly over 100 miles from Heathrow, and use a local firm for a private chauffeur. Look under car hire - private chauffeur or airport transfers in the yellow (?) pages. Best is a local reference (for example, ours doesn't advertise).

Always nice cars with courteous and professional (uniformed) drivers. We leave for Heathrow at 5:00 am, and on return to the UK are collected at Heathrow at 7:00 am. They have always been on time to collect or meet us, and we use the service at least once a year.

Cost is £110 to Heathrow (delivered to terminal) and £120 return from Heathrow (driver stands in that group of people you always see holding up names outside arrivals), so £230 (plus tip) round trip.

The spouse grew tired of lugging baggage on and off transfer buses, and I objected somewhat the first time we used them. After that first trip, I never objected again. It's worth it for the stress free travel.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
We live slightly over 100 miles from Heathrow, and use a local firm for a private chauffeur. Look under car hire - private chauffeur or airport transfers in the yellow (?) pages. Best is a local reference (for example, ours doesn't advertise).

Always nice cars with courteous and professional (uniformed) drivers. We leave for Heathrow at 5:00 am, and on return to the UK are collected at Heathrow at 7:00 am. They have always been on time to collect or meet us, and we use the service at least once a year.

Cost is £110 to Heathrow (delivered to terminal) and £120 return from Heathrow (driver stands in that group of people you always see holding up names outside arrivals), so £230 (plus tip) round trip.

The spouse grew tired of lugging baggage on and off transfer buses, and I objected somewhat the first time we used them. After that first trip, I never objected again. It's worth it for the stress free travel.
Sounds lovely, albeit a luxury I couldn't afford/justify at the mo! You don't drive I take it? So it's either public transport or this?
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sounds lovely, albeit a luxury I couldn't afford/justify at the mo! You don't drive I take it? So it's either public transport or this?
I agree, I take a rental.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, I do drive and the car's large enough to take all the luggage.

Given the cost to leave a car at a (safe) Heathrow car park for two weeks, or the cost of a rental car for both trips; the cost isn't that much additional.

We usually book cattle car class on the flight and I don't sleep well in those seats. Arriving at 6:30 am at Heathrow with only a few catnaps on the flight back doesn't leave me at my best. Therefore I view the cost of the return from Heathrow to our house as a 'life saving' investment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.