Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthy eating

Healthy eating

Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:32 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Healthy eating

The problem with Wholefoods is that it is extremely expensive....much more so than Trader Joe's and the bakery and meat prices there are daylight robbery.

There is a 'Wholefoods' in our town (they even have UK Heinz baked beans and Neal's Yard Dairy (Covent Garden) and other niche UK cheeses but although I do like the quality of the produce I can't really do a proper family shopping trip there; for example if you want toothpaste they tend to focus on brands like 'Toms of Maine' and not Colgate, Aquafresh etc. and they have very limited selections of things like washing detergents, shampoo, toothbrushes, bin liners, pet food etc. so you end up taking another trip to another supermarket.

Our local 'Wholefoods' has an enormous selection of various Vitamin and homeopathic supplements....I guess most of their targeted customers want to live 'forever' LOL!

Woodsey: I'm astonished that the quality of your fruit and veg is so poor in California, as that seems to be where most of the produce is from which we're getting here in the North East. I reckon most of the produce is not exactly 'fresh' but has been in cold storage for some time...I'd love to know how much food is irradiated here. I remember the big public outcry in the UK when the large supermarkets wanted to introduce irradiated fruit & veg, especially soft fruit such as strawberries, and in the end they didn't implement it. However, I'm sure a lot of the food over here is irradiated....also I don't like the look of the 'monster' sized (and tasteless) forced strawbs here.

I think that Monsanto has a lot to answer for with all their bloody genetically modified food in the US.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthy eating

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
..they even have drive through diaquiri bars in Louisianna
not all bad then
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

There is a 'Wholefoods' in our town (they even have UK Heinz baked beans and Neal's Yard Dairy (Covent Garden) and other niche UK cheeses but although I do like the quality of the produce I can't really do a proper family shopping trip there; for example if you want toothpaste they tend to focus on brands like 'Toms of Maine' and not Colgate, Aquafresh etc. and they have very limited selections of things like washing detergents, shampoo, toothbrushes, bin liners, pet food etc. so you end up taking another trip to another supermarket.
Though that random green shite isn't alway bad, the laundry detergent we got, $13 for a tub, but it has lasted over a year, i ain't kidding..but then again, only the two of us...but it does a great job, so worked out really cheap...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:00 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Wholefoods is that it is extremely expensive....much more so than Trader Joe's and the bakery and meat prices there are daylight robbery.

You're right: you can't get Coke there or non-organic/freetrade/etc mainstream brands of food. You'll be presented with biodegradable bin liners and organic pet food. You do have to separate your shopping into "mainstream" and "Whole Foods."

If we went shopping every day or every other day as if we truly were living in a town with a market, we'd doubtless get fresher produce and meats. But without preservatives and other additives, that food has a short shelflife. Given that the average American wants to shop for enough food for a week all in one go, is it any wonder that the fruit/veg/meat/cheese has to be genetically modified or mummified in order to last that long?

We would be much better off with smaller shops that sold these perishables, with many of them near to neighbourhoods, and bigger shops that sold things with a longer shelf life, but fewer of them. Pity suburban America wants all shops well away from houses in a ghetto of their own.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:32 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Am I eating healthier here? No, I'm eating just the same foods/meals I was in the UK. Hubby's eating habits have improved since I've been here though.

I get to blame pregnancy for my extra weight gain - I was doing so good up until then.

Re. the high fructose corn syrup - I will never again have to endure a revolting, sugary loaf of bread - I got myself a breadmaking machine a couple of days ago, omitted the sugar and dried milk from the recipe and am thoroughly enjoying yummy, decent-tasting bread! Love it!!

As for Wholefoods - don't ever buy their dishwasher liquid - it sucks!! I don't tend to buy too much in there but will pop in there for some decent cuts of meat and decent veg/salad, just as a bit of a change to the norm. It's also the only place where I can get smoked haddock to make kedgeree.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:35 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Though that random green shite isn't alway bad, the laundry detergent we got, $13 for a tub, but it has lasted over a year, i ain't kidding..but then again, only the two of us...but it does a great job, so worked out really cheap...
a $13 tub of laundry detergent lasted you a whole year?! :scared: damn bob i know it's cold over there but damn you guys must be ripe!! *lol*
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:36 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Whom here has taken to healthier eating than they were used to, since moving over stateside?
Yeah, but it took me 12 years of eating crap before I decided to do it! LOL! (Because it does take real effort.)
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

a $13 tub of laundry detergent lasted you a whole year?! :scared: damn bob i know it's cold over there but damn you guys must be ripe!! *lol*
cheeky...it's actually a huge drum of detergent...got it at the green store...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Eat a more healthy diet in the US after moving from the UK? You've got to be kidding?

In the UK I rarely ate out as it was just so expensive, but salad was always in plentiful supply and I loved those Danone coconut yoghurts too (can't get them here)!

In the US the salad produce is always limp and disgusting within a couple of days of buying it. I once paid an exhorbitant price for a European cucumber (so much nicer than the US equivalent) and it was totally rotten three days later. Also, I just don't get why they have sprinklers on the salad and vege sections ... does it really need watering? It just really irritates me that all the produce is soaking wet and I don't get why they do it!

Anyway, IMO the food in the stores is total crap, but I guess the average American would probably say the same about food in the UK. In fact, my family say that British food is just too bland, as we tend to eat produce without drowning it in seasoning and oil first!

My diet here is total crap ... we eat out as a family all the time ... and whilst the food might be cheap, it's always the wrong type of food - and there is rarely an option to have any type of vegetables with a meal as you would in the UK. I really worry about the children here who are being raised on burgers and fries with unlimited quantities of sugar laden soda ... surely there is going to be a price to pay for that in terms of health when they get older?
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I'm astonished that the quality of your fruit and veg is so poor in California, as that seems to be where most of the produce is from which we're getting here in the North East.
I'm also in California and, yes, the fruit and vege is disgusting. Jeez, we even bought a sack of grapefruit from the small stores they have right beside the trees where they grow them - a dozen for just a $1 - but all of them were rotten within a week. Just doesn't make sense.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:58 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

yeah exactly what i was thinking if you live in the southern U.S especially, i think it's probably the change in lifestyle rather than the food that makes you gain weight....you have to drive everywhere here..no car ...no life...you can't even do simple things without a car....all those times in the U.k you absentmindedly walked to a friends house, to work, around town, from pub to pub etc you were burning calories, you don't get to do that over here...over here you have to actually slot a time for exercise, you have to be more conscious of it..have to make more of an effort...drive though everythings over here...they even have drive through diaquiri bars in Louisianna

no wonder nearly everyone is a fat bastard!
I actually do walk most places - I live in a college town; right in the centre so will always walk to restaurants and bars. I even cycle to work once or twice a week (when the weather allows it) and that's 10 miles each way. I'm working every other week in Cincinnati and the office I go to is 10 minutes walk from the hotel as are many restaurants so I make sure I take the opportunity to walk then. Maybe it's more to do with the fact I'm settling down (I've lived with my fiancee for 2 years now) - I heard that's supposed to contribute to putting on weight.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

God I wish we were eating more healthily but no. As most people have said, the fruit and veg is pretty naff and finding a yoghurt that isn't loaded with all kinds of artificial colourings etc; is next to impossible. I really miss Rachels Organic Yoghurt from back home.

My children's diet is much less healthy. At home they loved cheese and yoghurt and beans and wholemeal bread etc; but here the yoghurt is bright pink or blue, the cheese is rubbery or tasteless and the bread is more like cake.

We've been trying to lose the weight we gained the first year recently by eating out less, cooking as healthily as possible and torturing ourselves with exercise - hubby bought himself a bike to ride to work which is a health risk all on it's own here in Garland, and hubby has lost 23 lbs now but I'm finding it a real challenge.

Woodsey - I had to get the powdered drinks that you mix with water for our kids. Not the Kool Aid - Crystal Light and Country Time are the two brands we use. The diet versions - no sugar, but they do have artificial sweetener which is really controversial now, so I really limit the amount of flavoured drinks my children have and they will drink water if I let them stick loads of ice in.

My local Kroger has a few of the Robinsons cordials and they are cheaper than you are paying - somewhere around the $5 mark I think but they don't very often stock the low sugar or sugar free. I wish they'd get the Ribena Toothkind.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:23 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I actually do walk most places - I live in a college town; right in the centre so will always walk to restaurants and bars. I even cycle to work once or twice a week (when the weather allows it) and that's 10 miles each way. I'm working every other week in Cincinnati and the office I go to is 10 minutes walk from the hotel as are many restaurants so I make sure I take the opportunity to walk then.
well i wasn't refering to you personally and by the sounds of it you get plenty of chances to exercise...down here, further south it's near impossible, no wonder Houston is THE fatest city in the country there's nothing to do but go to a resturant and shop, really nothing out doorsey to do , you really have to make the effort, no green areas etc so on a good day you either shop or go and eat

luckily i have a okay metabolism i guess so i've never been over weight really but if i want to exercise i either have to consciously go to the gym or make the effort to ride my bike on the bicycle trail , there's no riding your bike to get somewhere you need to drive on main roads and highwqys to get anywhere
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lottie
I can safely say that we are so much worse out here than back in the UK. We find general grocery shopping very expensive, yet it's so cheap to eat out (and not only at McDs). Also, I'm struggling to find good quality vegetables that don't turn to mush as soon as you bring them back from the store!

Lottie (with a rapidly expanding waistline!)
I am guessing that most of the people on here writing about this are either in their 20s or 30s. How can you say that eating out is cheap? Where are you eating, I want to go there? I find the standard of fruit and veg and most of the stuff I used to buy in the UK that I buy over here is way cheaper. Sure McDs is cheap, but is absolute shite. We do not eat out much, and never have fast food. I cook from scratch, but then that is how I was brought up, I am a fair bit older though than most of the people on here. If you are all anything like my sister who is 36, then you don't know how to cook, I know she doesn't.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
My local Kroger has a few of the Robinsons cordials and they are cheaper than you are paying - somewhere around the $5 mark I think but they don't very often stock the low sugar or sugar free. I wish they'd get the Ribena Toothkind.
Could try checking out the booze section, I've seen a few bottles of cordials for $3...lime is big...and then a few others, grenadine, and raspberry...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.