Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthy eating

Healthy eating

Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Healthy eating

Whom here has taken to healthier eating than they were used to, since moving over stateside?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Healthy eating

I can safely say that we are so much worse out here than back in the UK. We find general grocery shopping very expensive, yet it's so cheap to eat out (and not only at McDs). Also, I'm struggling to find good quality vegetables that don't turn to mush as soon as you bring them back from the store!

Lottie (with a rapidly expanding waistline!)
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:50 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Whom here has taken to healthier eating than they were used to, since moving over stateside?
The complete opposite is true for me - I seem to be constantly putting on weight no matter how much exercise I do. I do now try to eat only half of the food on my plate at restaurants. I eat steak far more often than I did in the UK, and cook less for myself since it's pretty cheap to eat out when you factor in that what you take home means you get at least 2 meals out of it.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by neil
I eat steak far more often than I did in the UK, and cook less for myself since it's pretty cheap to eat out when you factor in that what you take home means you get at least 2 meals out of it.
But do you ever eat what you take back home from a restaurant? The idea is always appealing at the time, but then when you look at it the next day for dinner, some how it's not that appetizing!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lottie
I can safely say that we are so much worse out here than back in the UK. We find general grocery shopping very expensive, yet it's so cheap to eat out (and not only at McDs). Also, I'm struggling to find good quality vegetables that don't turn to mush as soon as you bring them back from the store!

Totally with you on that Lottie - eating out is so cheap and groceries so expensive.I have put on 18lb in 9 months (but thankfully lost 50 odd before we left the UK)
Also the portions are so bloody big even our kids have put on weight - only plus is here in CA the fruit is good so at least we are eating lots of that oh and my pork pie habit cannot be fulfilled here
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

But do you ever eat what you take back home from a restaurant? The idea is always appealing at the time, but then when you look at it the next day for dinner, some how it's not that appetizing!
ha ha ha ..........our joke to the waitress who asks if we want a box is "yes so I can throw it my bin in two days rather than yours now "- they never laugh
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:12 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

It depends what it is - it's much better if it's something like Thai or Indian because that extra day makes no difference. There's a great Thai place near me that makes the food to your requested level of spiciness - it always seems slightly spicier and tastier the next day. It doesn't really work if you go out and eat meat and 3 veg - although slicing the rest of a rare steak and putting it in a sandwich is pretty good.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

have to agree, grocery shopping is horrendously expensive, and the quality of fresh produce is crap, don't understand how oranges from 100 miles away cost $10 a bag, and then go off in 3 days I have never seen so much junk for sale in supermarkets, the cereal aisle alone makes me want to vomit, just how much sugar can one child consume Can't believe there is no real equivalant to sugar free dilute pop, can get Robinsons at the English shop but its $11 a bottle Give my son watered down apple juice but its still bad for his teeth. Doesn't seem to be much choice in things such as yogurt and cheese either compared to back at home. Trader Joes is the only place I've found so far where you can buy decent good quality healthy food but its still expensive.
Eat out far too often but it is so cheap, try and choose healthy options but most restaurants don't have them. Wish restaurants would give kids a healthier choice on the menu rather than the usual pizza, burger or corn dog (which incidently should be banned)
I honestly thought healthy eating would be much easier here but sadly so far I'm very disappointed.. I am going to try the farmers markets though, hopefully they might be better.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

It depends what it is - it's much better if it's something like Thai or Indian because that extra day makes no difference. There's a great Thai place near me that makes the food to your requested level of spiciness - it always seems slightly spicier and tastier the next day.
OK, I give you that, as there is nothing better than extra spicy Thai or Indian food. Have found a nice Thai restaurant, but I'm definitely missing good Indian food. Trouble is, although my home-made Indian cooking smells wonderfully authentic, it never tastes as good
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:35 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Our local state university has just added an Indian food section which is fantastic. Just like Indian food back home It could be worth checking out your state uni. If they get a lot of international students you may find they do a similar thing

Woodsey, you should find your local farmers market very good. Also it could be worth looking at your local coops too where the farmers have gone organic and you pay a set amount each year and get a box of their produce every week during the spring, summer, autumn seasons. You may even get it all year round if you are in a climate that is warm all year. they do appear to be quite expensive at first because you have to pay up front a few hundred. But if you work it out of how much you would pay each week for the amount of fruit and veg you get from them, it isn't bad at all
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

grocery shop ain't to bad, fruit and some veg is expensive in maine, especially herbs...but it's a lot cheaper to cook up a meal than to go out, we can't afford it. Eating less crap too because junk food isn't all that important....haven't lost any weight because of it though.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Woodsey, have you tried Whole Foods? They are based here in Austin but offer a huge selection of organic and minimally-processed foods from around the world. There are even stores in the UK.

In SoCal:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/list_CA-s.html
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Woodsey, have you tried Whole Foods? They are based here in Austin but offer a huge selection of organic and minimally-processed foods from around the world. There are even stores in the UK.

In SoCal:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/list_CA-s.html
no I haven't but I will now thanks...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:17 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The complete opposite is true for me - I seem to be constantly putting on weight no matter how much exercise I do. I do now try to eat only half of the food on my plate at restaurants. I eat steak far more often than I did in the UK, and cook less for myself since it's pretty cheap to eat out when you factor in that what you take home means you get at least 2 meals out of it.
Would suggest you eat out less often but keep up the same amount of exercise. I would expect you'll start to loose weight then.

Probably a little difficult for you to do since you eat out often, but check products you consume for corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup. The earlier in the ingredients list, the greater the concentration in the product. CS and HFCS are culprits for weight gain.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:27 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Would suggest you eat out less often but keep up the same amount of exercise. I would expect you'll start to loose weight then.

NC Penguin
yeah exactly what i was thinking if you live in the southern U.S especially, i think it's probably the change in lifestyle rather than the food that makes you gain weight....you have to drive everywhere here..no car ...no life...you can't even do simple things without a car....all those times in the U.k you absentmindedly walked to a friends house, to work, around town, from pub to pub etc you were burning calories, you don't get to do that over here...over here you have to actually slot a time for exercise, you have to be more conscious of it..have to make more of an effort...drive though everythings over here...they even have drive through diaquiri bars in Louisianna

no wonder nearly everyone is a fat bastard!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.