Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare solution for the self-employed and possibly others

Wikiposts

Healthcare solution for the self-employed and possibly others

Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare solution for the self-employed and possibly others

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not insured for six months is enough together with a pre-existing condition. You don't need to be refused coverage. If you're over 40, just get a doc to write you've got hypertension if you can't find anything else.
If you are pretty young and basically healthy, I'm not sure the risk pool is the best alternative since the premium is still fairly high. When the exchanges kick in, those will be a good deal particularly if you are young and/or earn less than 400% of the poverty level no matter if you are healthy or not.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

Not insured for six months is enough together with a pre-existing condition. You don't need to be refused coverage. If you're over 40, just get a doc to write you've got hypertension if you can't find anything else.
So, would i apply online or somewhere local,to where i will be? Are there people who advise if this is a better option than anything else out there etc? When i apply for medicaid for pregnancy would they know about Obamacare?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 4:10 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
If you are pretty young and basically healthy, I'm not sure the risk pool is the best alternative since the premium is still fairly high. When the exchanges kick in, those will be a good deal particularly if you are young and/or earn less than 400% of the poverty level no matter if you are healthy or not.
Premium for me here in AZ is $240. $2k deductible, 80/20, $25 co-pay, max out-of-pocket $6k. Bargain compared with non-government plans, which wouldn't cover me anyway!
Old Jan 14th 2012, 4:25 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

FB just seen this. Hope they manage to get you repaired as quickly as possible and with the least amount of damage to your wallet and person.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Premium for me here in AZ is $240. $2k deductible, 80/20, $25 co-pay, max out-of-pocket $6k. Bargain compared with non-government plans, which wouldn't cover me anyway!
Wow, that is cheap. However it is not the A plan (probably the C plan) when the exchanges kick in which has a very low deductible, I believe a lower co-pay, and a maximum of about $2,000 out of pocket annually.

When I applied for Blue Cross/Blue Shield 10 years ago, I was denied because of fatigue but was offered a risk pool at $600 per month, $10,000 deductible, 30% co-pay, no limit on out of pocket expenses, and no prescription medications. Today the same plan would probably cost $1,200 a month for someone at age 56 with a minor preexisting condition (fatigue) where I never had bills totaling more than $2,000 in any year previously and normally less than $300.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 14th 2012 at 4:54 am.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jukes
So, would i apply online or somewhere local,to where i will be? Are there people who advise if this is a better option than anything else out there etc? When i apply for medicaid for pregnancy would they know about Obamacare?
You say that you have never lived in the US - although you are a US citizen.

Are you eligible for Medicaid then?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied for Blue Cross/Blue Shield 10 years ago, I was denied because of fatigue but was offered a risk pool at $600 per month, $10,000 deductible, 30% co-pay, no limit on out of pocket expenses, and no prescription medications. Today the same plan would probably cost $1,200 a month for someone at age 56 with a minor preexisting condition (fatigue) where I never had bills totaling more than $2,000 in any year previously and normally less than $300.
It's utterly crazy @ $1200/month! As I've just shown, you can have a major incident and pay less than that as a non-insured.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's utterly crazy @ $1200/month! As I've just shown, you can have a major incident and pay less than that as a non-insured.
The whole system will become total insanity if the republicans get in and repeal Obamacare. I think you should start stomping for Obama this fall.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:21 am
Septicity

The whole system will become total insanity if the republicans get in and repeal Obamacare.
That one's easy:

Plan 1: protect assets, go bankrupt.
OR
Plan 2: move to Blighty.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That one's easy:

Plan 1: protect assets, go bankrupt.
OR
Plan 2: move to Blighty.
The easiest way to do plan 1 is to move to Florida, purchase a house with all your money, and then file bankruptcy. There has to be a very, very large amount of equity in you home in Florida before they can touch that. Why do you think OJ was living in Florida when he had multimillion dollar judgements against him?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:33 am
Septicity

The easiest way to do plan 1 is to move to Florida, purchase a house with all your money, and then file bankruptcy. There has to be a very, very large amount of equity in you home in Florida before they can touch that. Why do you think OJ was living in Florida when he had multimillion dollar judgements against him?
Yep!
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You say that you have never lived in the US - although you are a US citizen.

Are you eligible for Medicaid then?
Hi,
I phoned up about Medicaid and they said i am required to show residency in that state and citizenship but no time limits on how long lived there. Also when reading eligibilty info doesn't mention time limits etc. This is for pregnancy medicaid. Hope they were right! Not same for my mum to get Medicare she needs to have lived in 5 years as not paid enough contributions over working life as moved to UK age 24.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jukes
Hi,
I phoned up about Medicaid and they said i am required to show residency in that state and citizenship but no time limits on how long lived there. Also when reading eligibilty info doesn't mention time limits etc. This is for pregnancy medicaid. Hope they were right! Not same for my mum to get Medicare she needs to have lived in 5 years as not paid enough contributions over working life as moved to UK age 24.
There is normal medicaid and emergency medicaid. You may be able to qualify for normal medicaid but if you can't, apply for emergency medicaid.

http://www.211ct.org/informationlibr...20Medicaid.asp

Your mum may also possibly qualify for emergency medicaid since that does not require contributions and is not required for the sponsor to repay the costs.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The whole system will become total insanity if the republicans get in and repeal Obamacare. I think you should start stomping for Obama this fall.
Even that might not be enough if, as I expect, the Supreme Court overturns the individual mandate.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

There is normal medicaid and emergency medicaid. You may be able to qualify for normal medicaid but if you can't, apply for emergency medicaid.

http://www.211ct.org/informationlibr...20Medicaid.asp

Your mum may also possibly qualify for emergency medicaid since that does not require contributions and is not required for the sponsor to repay the costs.
Thanks Michael,
It is all so complicated! As soon as we get to US i will try to sort it out, this forum gives me a head start of what to research and consider.thanks to all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.