Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

healthcare Insurance America

healthcare Insurance America

Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

toejo7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question healthcare Insurance America

Can anybody suggest a health insurance provider with competitive rates . It seems incredibly expensive to insure husband and wife and also is a minefield of what is and what isn't included. I need a straightforward understandable policy wording please help!! Anybody with a good policy and a good company and also a good premium please let me know. Thank you.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:13 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: healthcare Insurance America

Originally Posted by toejo7
Can anybody suggest a health insurance provider with competitive rates . It seems incredibly expensive to insure husband and wife and also is a minefield of what is and what isn't included. I need a straightforward understandable policy wording please help!! Anybody with a good policy and a good company and also a good premium please let me know. Thank you.

Just like all insurance what is good for one is useless for another etc By its very nature straightfoward and understandable are not words you would associate with heath insurance!! There are brokers around who may help you better with this issue.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like you want to come as a chiropodist. Whether other people have good policies with their own employers is not going to help you.

First things first, do you have a path to live and work in the USA?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
..... First things first, do you have a path to live and work in the USA?
This. You are wasting your time, and ours, by considering such minutiae when it is far from clear that you have any chance of living and working in the US.

Questions you need to address before worrying about health insurance include: is your professional qualification recognized? If not, what do you need to do to obtain a recognized qualification? Are you seeking employment, or to open your own business in the US? Are you comfortable being in a perpetual "temporary worker" (E2 visa) who will have to leave the country when you close or sell the business, or retire?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Visa issues aside, the answer to the question is https://www.healthcare.gov/
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

toejo7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that has told me . Surely I am not wasting anybodys time asking for help. As it happens I am coming in on an EB5 investment visa. However I would like to do some work preferably in my trade but at a lower level as I realise I am probably unable to convert my degree. I understand technicians do not have to be so qualified as I currently am and therefore it could suit me, again I am unsure what being a podiatry technician means.
Secondly I only hoped somebody might give me some Healthcare insurer names which do not appear on the first page of Google and also names of those expats are happy being insured by. Have to say I am a bit surprised by one of the replies posted, I assumed expat brits might want to be helpful to their fellow countryman. But thank you all anyway.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well that has told me . Surely I am not wasting anybodys time asking for help. As it happens I am coming in on an EB5 investment visa. However I would like to do some work preferably in my trade but at a lower level as I realise I am probably unable to convert my degree. I understand technicians do not have to be so qualified as I currently am and therefore it could suit me, again I am unsure what being a podiatry technician means.
Secondly I only hoped somebody might give me some Healthcare insurer names which do not appear on the first page of Google and also names of those expats are happy being insured by. Have to say I am a bit surprised by one of the replies posted, I assumed expat brits might want to be helpful to their fellow countryman. But thank you all anyway.
Sorry, we get our share of time wasters and dreamers.

You need to access the Affordable Heathcare web site for approved health insurers in the state you're interested in moving to.

BTW you realise, don't you, that you're likely to lose most of your EB5 investment? Either because the project won't earn enough to pay returns to all the other investors who are ahead of you (banks, fund managers, pension funds, hedge funds, etc., with EB5 investors last in line), or the investment is illiquid, so while technically profitable, these is no mechanism for getting your investment out.

A B2 visa and six month winter visits has to be an attractive alternative to flushing $500k down the toilet.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The link sir_eccles gave you is where you need to look for ACA info. Otherwise, google for an insurance broker in the town where you intend to reside and ask them for advice. HI recommendations are like the piece of string question, there is absolutely no one-size fits all with differences from state to state, from insurer to insurer, from program to program. Everyone's mileage differs and I'm afraid that your guess is probably as good as anyone's. I have always used a broker when not covered as an employee.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My point was that what we have got is not necessarily going to work for you, as healthcare policies are generally provided through the workplace. Therefore it's useful to state how you're getting here.

With the Affordable Care Act in place, you should be able to find something through the link given.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

There are well over 10,000 insurance companies operating in one or multiple states, sometimes regional, some for specific categories of people and each with their own blank slate policies. Navigating insurance without a limited employer sponsored option can be difficult. There really is no answer to your question.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Can anybody suggest a health insurance provider with competitive rates .
This has nothing whatsoever to do with immigration. Perhaps a moderator can move it elsewhere.

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Health Reform

This is the link you wanted.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Health Reform

This is the link you wanted.
Very interesting link considering FL not expanding medicare and just the worst state for healthcare. The south is where tobacco is made
Old Jun 13th 2014, 3:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't bother to look at the wiki entry, that's up top then? That had loads of info.

Doesn't matter though for recommendations as the rate is determined by age/location and if smoker or not if you're going ACA route and if getting it through work, isn't something you get much choice about.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

To give you some idea why there's no point shopping by company - I've had insurance through Anthem in Maine, once through my husband's employer and once through my employer. On the first policy Anthem denied as much as possible and made it difficult to claim. On the second policy Anthem paid everything without a murmur and never charged my deductible. My company has since moved to UnitedHealthcare/Harvard Pilgrim and again the service is identical to the second Anthem policy I had.

It really is a question of 'how long is a piece of string?' Your best bet is going to be either an agent or Healthcare.gov

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.