Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare hidden cost example

Wikiposts

Healthcare hidden cost example

Old Jan 28th 2012, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare hidden cost example

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Before Christmas my husband had a nuclear heart test. The procedure was done at our doctor's group practice surgery. It is a large practice and is now owned by Atlantic Healthcare...who own the local hospital (Morristown Memorial). When he went for his follow up appointment the cardiologist was attending to an emergency...so he saw the cardiologist's practice nurse.

In the mail this week was a bill for several hundred dollars for the latter appointment. It seems the nurse is not in network...so the insurance company refuse to pay for the appointment.
The practice nurse may not be listed as in network but the center may be listed which means all who practice there are covered as in network. This happened to me when I used a doctor who practiced at Stanford hospital that wasn't listed but was covered as in network since the hospital was covered. Of course if the practice nurse is only a visiting nurse, then he/she would be out of network and your deductible starts again from $0 with a larger co-pay.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Wow when I had mine, I did not receive any invoices for the procedure and I, too, used their cardiologist instead my own.
We normally don't receive any invoices. I think it was because the group practice nurse was out of network...even though the cardiologist she works for is in network. My husband was booked to see the cardiologist...but due to an emergency his practice nurse stood in to give my husband the results as they were straight forward.

Originally Posted by augigi
Nurse or nurse practitioner? A nurse is not a provider and can't even bill you.
Group practice nurse.

Originally Posted by Michael
The practice nurse may not be listed as in network but the center may be listed which means all who practice there are covered as in network. This happened to me when I used a doctor who practiced at Stanford hospital that wasn't listed but was covered as in network since the hospital was covered. Of course if the practice nurse is only a visiting nurse, then he/she would be out of network and your deductible starts again from $0 with a larger co-pay.
Yes you would think it would cover her...especially as she was the person who adminstered the nuclear stress test...not the cardiologist and the insurance company have paid that bill.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 28th 2012 at 10:20 am. Reason: adding more quotes/replies
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes you would think it would cover her...especially as she was the person who adminstered the nuclear stress test...not the cardiologist and the insurance company have paid that bill.
Call the insurance company. They probably don't have her associated with that center according to their records and the bill came directly from her with no reference to the center. The first bill probably referenced the center.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Call the insurance company. They probably don't have her associated with that center according to their records and the bill came directly from her with no reference to the center. The first bill probably referenced the center.
Hubby's been onto the practice...they are going to sort it out. If not they will lose our business.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 2:45 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Depending on whether those other charges were made in 2011 or 2012, you may have a reset deductible for the 2012 year and be starting again from scratch. Hopefully some or all of them were charged in January which would prevent you from having to shell out another $3k deductible. (ETA unless your insurance will consider it all part of the same event in 2011 and not double charge you...not sure what the convention is there.) I'm glad he's recovering and was able to get the treatment in the first place!
the surgery was in January so its just this years deductible (although some of the MRI scans were in December so he had to pay a $150 deductible for those). We did try and get the surgery done in December when he was diagnosed because the health insurance policy we were on for 2011 was a lot more generous and our deductible would have been far far less. However the physio would have run into 2012 so we would have needed up paying for that anyway. At least this way we know what we owe for 2012 and we can see if there is any other surgery he needs in the next 11 months whilst the deductible is fully met.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 2:50 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i also forget to mention - he has been 'loaned' a special chair contraption by the surgeon to help rehabilitate him. It has a special robotic arm that he has to strap the affected arm into. Then its programmed to slowly raise and lower the arm to a set amount of degrees. Hes supposed to sit in it for up to 6 hours a day. Each day it increases the angle a little so its improving the stretch and avoiding scars forming (apparently). He wasn't given any choice in the chair - the surgeon just arranged for it and it was delivered. So I expect we will get a nice little bill for the 'loan' at some point.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

One of the problems is that the Doctors don't know much about the cost of things.....My wife is a resident and she just tells people what they need doing or what tests need to be done, she doesn't even understand our own insurance let alone any of her patients!
Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ja5on
One of the problems is that the Doctors don't know much about the cost of things.....My wife is a resident and she just tells people what they need doing or what tests need to be done, she doesn't even understand our own insurance let alone any of her patients!
This and many other of the other replies is an exellent summation of what is wrong with the US system and the UK for that matter.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:55 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
the surgery was in January so its just this years deductible (although some of the MRI scans were in December so he had to pay a $150 deductible for those). We did try and get the surgery done in December when he was diagnosed because the health insurance policy we were on for 2011 was a lot more generous and our deductible would have been far far less. However the physio would have run into 2012 so we would have needed up paying for that anyway. At least this way we know what we owe for 2012 and we can see if there is any other surgery he needs in the next 11 months whilst the deductible is fully met.
That's a relief! And good idea checking into any other needed procedures while you've got the deductible met.