Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance thru' Lloyds

Wikiposts

Health Insurance thru' Lloyds

Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

qwerty007 will become famous soon enoughqwerty007 will become famous soon enough
Default Health Insurance thru' Lloyds

I saw an ad in the Union Jack for Health cover for expat residents via "Lloyds" of London (I assume). The rates are very competitive and it seems that it is targeting long terms residents, not just those who are on temp working visas. I had understood that non-US insurers were not allowed to offer cover to US residents. I have tried contacting the company by email which bounced back. Has anyone had an experience or got any knowledge in this area?
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance thru' Lloyds

companies can offer insurance, usually bloomin' expensive, and not many will offer it for extended stay, especially if you don't have return flights etc...and coverage tends to be a bit limited to emergency cover rather than covering everything like prescriptions etc.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

qwerty007 will become famous soon enoughqwerty007 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
companies can offer insurance, usually bloomin' expensive, and not many will offer it for extended stay, especially if you don't have return flights etc...and coverage tends to be a bit limited to emergency cover rather than covering everything like prescriptions etc.
This is cover up to £5,000,000 with a deductible of £100 and with rates 1/5 of US premiums, and for ALL expats. One can abide by the adage "if it looks to good to be true ..." However, I will investigate further and if I think this is either a scam or a great deal will post here is that's OK.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:33 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

just a question........

if you get cancer, with they allow you 6 months in chemo at the Mayo clinic, or will they fly you to a UK hospital?
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
just a question........

if you get cancer, with they allow you 6 months in chemo at the Mayo clinic, or will they fly you to a UK hospital?
I have just sent another email to the company to get more details. Their web site is not inspiring and lacks basic info. So I can't answer your question yet.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:12 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwerty007
This is cover up to £5,000,000 with a deductible of £100 and with rates 1/5 of US premiums, and for ALL expats. One can abide by the adage "if it looks to good to be true ..." However, I will investigate further and if I think this is either a scam or a great deal will post here is that's OK.
Years ago on Good Morning TV in the UK, there was a program detailing holiday insurance. One thing that came up was where regular holiday insurance covered upto 5million pound. However, if you were to take a holiday in the USA you were to double this amount to 10 million pounds because 5 million wasn't enough to cover the medical costs. This was about 10 years ago
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:17 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
just a question........

You're on form today Matt!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lloyds is authorised to write business in the US.

But the Underwriters are not stupid, not as if the Lloyds market has not been burned by the US market.

Whilst a non Lloyds Broker can place business via a Lloyds broker into the Lloyds market, they still need to be authorised by the FSA.

If it looks like etc etc.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

I imagine the $10m quote above bears some relevance, and Lloyds is renowned for covering almost anything. I have done a few searches on the internet and this company has several sites, hastily put together, and won't give full answers to questions by email. That should be enough to deter the wary. Whether it's a run-with-premiums operation, or kosha but inadequate cover someone is going to be duped by it.

Any related stories or experience would be interesting, or MORE important any good deals on health insurance to be found.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:06 am
Account Closed

I imagine the $10m quote above bears some relevance, and Lloyds is renowned for covering almost anything. I have done a few searches on the internet and this company has several sites, hastily put together, and won't give full answers to questions by email. That should be enough to deter the wary. Whether it's a run-with-premiums operation, or kosha but inadequate cover someone is going to be duped by it.

Any related stories or experience would be interesting, or MORE important any good deals on health insurance to be found.
1om may be nice but not needed, 1m plus for travel insurance will cater for 99.9999% of issues.

The Lloyds market does not write anything and everything, its significance has reduced over the years, but here we seem to be dealing with an agent that purports to be using Lloyds to write the business, whether they do or not is another matter.

There is no cheap insurance for US Health care, the best bet is for somebody else to pick up the tab, like an employer.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
1om may be nice but not needed, 1m plus for travel insurance will cater for 99.9999% of issues.

The Lloyds market does not write anything and everything, its significance has reduced over the years, but here we seem to be dealing with an agent that purports to be using Lloyds to write the business, whether they do or not is another matter.

There is no cheap insurance for US Health care, the best bet is for somebody else to pick up the tab, like an employer.
I have just heard back from Lloyds who have no record of this man/agent and going to look into it. He seems to have some connection with another company, who have made it clear that cover is for US citizens leaving the US or US residents who can't obtain US cover. This seems to tie in with BUPA's statement that they are not allowed to offer cover to US residents, just as Assurance Vie's and some investments are disallowed.

As far as cheap cover in the US is concerned, high deductibles and HSAs are the only reasonable option I can see, in combination with the treatment abroad or 'health tourism' as its being termed.

I also worked for a LLoyds a broker and have a health disrespect for the shareholders before policholders culture.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 4:05 am
Account Closed

I also worked for a LLoyds a broker and have a health disrespect for the shareholders before policholders culture.
I did too, which one?. I broked in Lloyds for a while.

To be picky company participation in the Lloyds marker is relatively new.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 4:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

As far as cheap cover in the US is concerned, high deductibles and HSAs are the only reasonable option I can see, in combination with the treatment abroad or 'health tourism' as its being termed.
Where would a USC go for cheap 'health tourism'? Mexico doesn't have a particularly good track record.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 4:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Where would a USC go for cheap 'health tourism'? Mexico doesn't have a particularly good track record.
Canada...prescriptions, abortions...it's cheaper than here...
Old Mar 29th 2006, 5:43 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Canada...prescriptions, abortions...it's cheaper than here...
Do you know how far it is to Canada from most of the US?! Yes, prescriptions or one-time outpatient procedures that need no followup.... but that's a fraction of health care costs.

Scripts are even cheaper in Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.