Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance for self/non employed HELP!

Health Insurance for self/non employed HELP!

Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:19 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance for self/non employed HELP!

Originally Posted by jukes
Myself and my mum are uk and USA citizens, my husband has applied for green card he is UK citizen and my children are UK citizens until enter US on immigrant visa turning in to USA citizens at that point.
I am only one on regular medication, an asthma inhaler.
My mum at 65 very healthy, hoped to get at least insurance for a major injury or illness, rarely visits GP.
All non smokers.
I will investigate all your suggestions, thank you. Can we get temporary travel type insurance to cover us until we get it all arranged over there? Guess we'd been flown back to UK if treatment needed!
Asthma is one of the chronic conditions that will make it harder for you to find an insurer.

You should be able to Google and get a quote online because I just did, BC/BS will give you a family policy with $2.5k each annual deductible for $1k a month. You should be able to get a plan for your mum for around $500/month. But remember with the deductibles and co-pays if you get ill you'll still have to pay thousands of dollars before the insurance starts to pay.

So plan on spending around between $15k and $20k for in insurance.

My next question is why are you moving to NC?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:26 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
"Guess we'd been flown back to UK if treatment needed!"
Actually, you would no longer be considered a UK resident for NHS purposes. Please research some older threads on this. One of our frequent posters has listed a letter she received from NHS describing this. Best of luck to you all.
Yep if your intention is to become resident in the US you give up your right to the NHS. If you buy temporary travel insurance from the UK I don't know how or where you would be treated.

I live in MA and it's easy to get coverage as the state mandates it. There's no pre-existing conditions either and I can get a plan for $400/month. Still I'm thinking or retiring well before 65 and a big reason to return to the UK is the NHS and the lower cost of living in the North East, where I'm from.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Does their definition of "new immigrant" include "US citizens who haven't lived in the US for a very long time (or, possibly, ever)"?
hmm not sure of that one........worth a quick call to them to check their Tcs and Cs etc
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jukes
We will be living in North Carolina. My mum won't have 10 years payment as she left the USA aged about 24.
Perhaps prudent to consider not coming?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I live in MA and it's easy to get coverage as the state mandates it. There's no pre-existing conditions either and I can get a plan for $400/month. Still I'm thinking or retiring well before 65 and a big reason to return to the UK is the NHS and the lower cost of living in the North East, where I'm from.
You've got to be a MA resident for 12 months before being able to get in on Masscare though.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:27 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
You've got to be a MA resident for 12 months before being able to get in on Masscare though.
By Masscare do you actually mean Commonwealth Care...the subsidized plan?
My point is that if the OP were to move to MA they would find it easy to get coverage....it might be a bit more expensive than in some states, but they wouldn't be denied coverage because of pre existing conditions. Also as soon as they became resident in MA they would need to have coverage by law.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by nun
By Masscare do you actually mean Commonwealth Care...the subsidized plan?
My point is that if the OP were to move to MA they would find it easy to get coverage....it might be a bit more expensive than in some states, but they wouldn't be denied coverage because of pre existing conditions. Also as soon as they became resident in MA they would need to have coverage by law.
Aye, they would need to get coverage, but they wouldn't be eligible for any of those state plans and protections until they have been resident in the state initially for 12 months.

It was a way to stop folks moving here for state subsidised plans.

So potentially still a expensive first year.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:07 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Ohio so it is different from N. Carolina.....

A self-employed friend of mine got insurance for his family and that of his few employees through the local chamber of commerce. I guess that as a group they were able to get better rates as if "the chamber" was a company.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by tamms_1965

A self-employed friend of mine got insurance for his family and that of his few employees through the local chamber of commerce. I guess that as a group they were able to get better rates as if "the chamber" was a company.
Definitely an advantage to joining a local chamber of commerce, or a union or trade association!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of people where I am have a spouse working for the County, the County spends more on benefits than it does on salary.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:29 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
A lot of people where I am have a spouse working for the County, the County spends more on benefits than it does on salary.
Must pay terrible salaries.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
Must pay terrible salaries.
Not for around here.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Try Patriot America - I think (hope) i read your original post correctly
they insure for the first 2 years for a new immigrant ---I have it and im not working
We have contacted them to see what they can offer, it would at least cover us until we can look at it through a broker/chamber of commerce etc properly.

What would happen if my mum was uninsured and say, broke a leg, but had no money or assets in her name, other than very small UK pension? How could she pay!??
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Perhaps prudent to consider not coming?
We will still come! We will be lucky enough to buy a modest house and have no mortgage, so the insurance will be like a mortgage!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
Asthma is one of the chronic conditions that will make it harder for you to find an insurer.

You should be able to Google and get a quote online because I just did, BC/BS will give you a family policy with $2.5k each annual deductible for $1k a month. You should be able to get a plan for your mum for around $500/month. But remember with the deductibles and co-pays if you get ill you'll still have to pay thousands of dollars before the insurance starts to pay.

So plan on spending around between $15k and $20k for in insurance.

My next question is why are you moving to NC?
We are moving for many reasons, where we live now has limited job opportunities, poor secondary education, and can be quite narrow minded, bad weather etc etc. We are fortunate to have been given money to set up or buy a business which will go much further where we are moving to. We will also be mortgage free, unlike here. Children are young, don't want to leave it any later.plus we can legally live/work in US. We have visited the area a few times and know other parts of the US quite well. It is a risk, but one we are willing to take.

As for my asthma, it is not chronic, I take one inhaler just at bedtime. Never been hospitalised, I know the triggers so avoid them! To get the inhaler I would have to pay to see a doctor then pay for the inhaler, right? I can take at least a years supply!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.