Reload this Page >

Health Insurance - Lloyds of London

Health Insurance - Lloyds of London

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:30 pm
Banned

zed_stussy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance - Lloyds of London

Hi - Need advice.

Me, wife & 2 daughters (ages 30/33/5/0.7) are arriving on a H1B 2-year visa to Orlando next month. Whilst I will be covered by my employer for health insurance I need to find something to take care of any potential trips to the doctors for the wife and children.

I want something with a low deductible.

I was advised to talk to a guy called Scott that advertises on britishflorida.com - he gave me quotes for Llloyds of London which is only available to brits BEFORE they arrive in the US. They quoted me about $400 per month for wife&2children with a $250 deductible. I haven't read the terms as its kind of late so will read it tomorrow.

Any advice or feedback on LLoyds or anyone else would be much appreciated. I will continue to trawl these boards and read the posts about insurance.

Many thanks in advance
PB.

Last edited by zed_stussy; Feb 23rd 2012 at 9:31 pm. Reason: forgot something
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance - Lloyds of London

Have you posted on BE before?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:53 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, Lloyds of London is a series of syndicates (well more accurately it's a market place), not an insurer persay so although he may be quoting you insurance which is acted through the Lloyds market, Lloyds is not the insurer. Nearly all insurance in the world ends up going through the Lloyds market in some form or another.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Your employer should provide dependent health insurance at a cost. You may think that the price is too high and can get it cheaper but individual health plans are a minefield where your dependents can be canceled at the drop of a hat where as employer provided health plans can't cancel dependents or employees.

See the following link as to what can happen with individual health plans.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740518
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The job not offering cover for the family and you still took the job?

Individual policies are crap...if you want to read of some of the hassles, search out post by Brat on BE.

Loads of advice on insurance in recent past threads and the wiki.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zed_stussy
Hi - Need advice.

Me, wife & 2 daughters (ages 30/33/5/0.7) are arriving on a H1B 2-year visa to Orlando next month. Whilst I will be covered by my employer for health insurance I need to find something to take care of any potential trips to the doctors for the wife and children.

I want something with a low deductible.

I was advised to talk to a guy called Scott that advertises on britishflorida.com - he gave me quotes for Llloyds of London which is only available to brits BEFORE they arrive in the US. They quoted me about $400 per month for wife&2children with a $250 deductible. I haven't read the terms as its kind of late so will read it tomorrow.

Any advice or feedback on LLoyds or anyone else would be much appreciated. I will continue to trawl these boards and read the posts about insurance.

Many thanks in advance

PB.
Is you employer not offering dependent's insurance? The majority of companies do this and the employee pays the premiums.

Group (employer based) insurance is usually much cheaper than individual policies,plus individual policies come with all sorts of restrictions, pre-exisiting conditions clauses etc etc.

If, indeed your company does not offer this then look at

ehealthinsurance.com to see what insurance companies and policies are in your area.

Sorry,cannot help with Lloyds policies
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess is he is a sub agent, I doubt he is even a Lloyd's Broker.

As has been said the description is completely meaningless. the cover may or may not be.

They should be included with you.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My guess is he is a sub agent, I doubt he is even a Lloyd's Broker.

As has been said the description is completely meaningless. the cover may or may not be.

They should be included with you.
I don't think Lloyd's is even an insurer in the US but just underwrites policies.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it gets complicated....

Let us just leave it at that. Not relevant to the discussion.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:53 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't think Lloyd's is even an insurer in the US but just underwrites policies.
Lloyds is not an insurer. You would normally deal with a broker who deals with the underwriter. The underwriter is the insurer. Most major insurance goes through the London market, even from the States. You'd be amazed at how little the 'lead' underwriter actually retains of the vast majority of policies. It's all reinsured.

I agree with Boiler, I very much doubt he's a Lloyds broker otherwise he would have referred to it being placed through Lloyds but with x insurance company or syndicate.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bink
Lloyds is not an insurer. You would normally deal with a broker who deals with the underwriter. The underwriter is the insurer. Most major insurance goes through the London market, even from the States. You'd be amazed at how little the 'lead' underwriter actually retains of the vast majority of policies. It's all reinsured.

I agree with Boiler, I very much doubt he's a Lloyds broker otherwise he would have referred to it being placed through Lloyds but with x insurance company or syndicate.
I think we are just using different terminology. In the US, each state regulates insurance companies such as Blue Cross, AETNA, etc. and those companies must be approved by the state, follow the laws of that state, are held directly responsible for the policies that they write, are the companies that consumer deals with, and the companies that pays claims. There can also be brokers that sell policies from many different insurance companies and are unregulated.

States could care less about how a policy is covered either by the insurance company covering the policy directly, whether it is underwritten, whether it is held by a reinsurer, whether a derivative is created out of many insurance policies and sold on wall street, or any other mechanism that is dreamed up. Even though insurance companies use all kinds of gimmicks to cover policies, the state holds the insurance company directly responsible to pay the benefits claimed in the policy and some states insure insurance companies of certain types of insurance policies and will pay the benefits in case the insurance company files bankruptcy (similar to FDIC insurance for banks).

So I was just responding that that I don't think that Lloyd's is an insurance company and that even a broker for Lloyd's since policies written have to be written by an insurance company. So I was questioning what Lloyd's of London is in the US? Are Lloyd's of London just franchising their name in the US? Did Lloyd's of London become a broker in the US?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:13 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Michael
I think we are just using different terminology. In the US, each state regulates insurance companies such as Blue Cross, AETNA, etc. and those companies must be approved by the state, follow the laws of that state, are held directly responsible for the policies that they write, are the companies that consumer deals with, and the companies that pays claims. There can also be brokers that sell policies from many different insurance companies and are unregulated.

States could care less about how a policy is covered either by the insurance company covering the policy directly, whether it is underwritten, whether it is held by a reinsurer, whether a derivative is created out of many insurance policies and sold on wall street, or any other mechanism that is dreamed up. Even though insurance companies use all kinds of gimmicks to cover policies, the state holds the insurance company directly responsible to pay the benefits claimed in the policy and some states insure insurance companies of certain types of insurance policies and will pay the benefits in case the insurance company files bankruptcy (similar to FDIC insurance for banks).

So I was just responding that that I don't think that Lloyd's is an insurance company and that even a broker for Lloyd's since policies written have to be written by an insurance company. So I was questioning what Lloyd's of London is in the US? Are Lloyd's of London just franchising their name in the US? Did Lloyd's of London become a broker in the US?
Lloyds in the US isn't really any different to the UK, they just have licensed brokers who still deal with the london underwriters through the syndicates at Lloyds. I wasn't trying to be pinickity, just clarifying that Lloyds in itself, is not an Insurance company. I think there's a general misconception that they're an Insurance company and you can just go and get a 'Lloyds' policy, thats not the case although you can get policies that are underwritten through the Lloyds market syndicates.

You're right in that the lead underwriter still holds the liability, and in the event of a claim acts on behalf of the following market (reinsurers).

I guess I'm a bit confused as to why an individual would be getting quotes through Lloyds. As you state, individuals normally deal with companies like BCBS or Aetna. It's normally only for corporate insurance etc that you'd look for the best deal by placing insurance through the London market to see the lowest premiums that you could get for the appropriate coverage.

My company, for example, has an insurance agent who gets quotes through the London market for indemnity coverage etc. I also deal with large (offshore O&G) claims from a technical perspective that go through the London market and are being checked for the validity of the claim.

Last edited by Bink; Feb 24th 2012 at 4:16 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bink
Lloyds in the US isn't really any different to the UK, they just have licensed brokers who still deal with the london underwriters through the syndicates at Lloyds. I wasn't trying to be pinickity, just clarifying that Lloyds in itself, is not an Insurance company. I think there's a general misconception that they're an Insurance company and you can just go and get a 'Lloyds' policy, thats not the case although you can get policies that are underwritten through the Lloyds market syndicates.

You're right in that the lead underwriter still holds the liability, and in the event of a claim acts on behalf of the following market (reinsurers).

I guess I'm a bit confused as to why an individual would be getting quotes through Lloyds. As you state, individuals normally deal with companies like BCBS or Aetna. It's normally only for corporate insurance etc that you'd look for the best deal by placing insurance through the London market to see the lowest premiums that you could get for the appropriate coverage.

My company, for example, has an insurance agent who gets quotes through the London market for indemnity coverage etc. I also deal with large (offshore O&G) claims from a technical perspective that go through the London market and are being checked for the validity of the claim.
That was the part that was confusing me. It sounds like Lloyd's of London is just acting as an independent insurance agent selling other companies insurance in the US if they are selling insurance.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 24th 2012 at 4:50 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zed_stussy
Hi - Need advice.

I was advised to talk to a guy called Scott that advertises on britishflorida.com - he gave me quotes for Llloyds of London which is only available to brits BEFORE they arrive in the US.
To me, this makes it sound as if it is a temporary ex-pat travel policy, not a policy for US residents.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:33 am
Banned

zed_stussy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies to my post so far, since i posted this i have sat down with my employer who offers insurance for me and my family. The cost is around $232 p/w. Dental is an extra $16 p/w

Im going to call this guy again and see what this policy from "lloyds" covers for $400 per month (for all 4 members of our family)

http://www.britishflorida.com/index....INSURANCE.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.