Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance/Diabetes: Very Nervous!!

Health Insurance/Diabetes: Very Nervous!!

Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance/Diabetes: Very Nervous!!

Originally Posted by JCSky
Thank you everyone! I am definitely considering going ahead of time now! It is just that we have 2 small children, so finding them childcare while job hunting will be fun!! I didn't really want to separate them from Daddy for very long, but I think it will be worth it in the end!! Now... just the job.... this should be fun!!
Can't they stay with Dad till you find work?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 6:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Please be careful who you leave your children with at childcare. Too many horror stories out there. I'm sure there are lots of good ones you just need to find them.
just leave them with the dad and save the money?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:36 am
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You can't be refused treatment in an emergency room, but if you have assets (like the house you mentioned, assuming it's owned by you) they will likely come after you for repayment. If you have no assets and no income, they will likely realize it's pointless coming after you and write off some or all of the cost. And btw any emrgency room visit will end up costing you $$$.

In this economy, I don't think that's at all obvious.

Just a quicky to put in your memory box... lots of hospitals have unadvertised systems in place where they will settle a E/R bill at a specific rate..if you end up there b4 you get insurance... ASK you have nothing to loose and be persistant. A lot of them round here also offer discounts for quick payment. So I think you may find the same in FLA
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:17 am
Just Joined

JCSky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again everyone... I am taking everything on board now and just trying to soak it all up. My husband has gotten a few connections on LinkedIn now, so just seeing what his options are.

I am a teacher, but my certification has gone inactive in Pennsylvania, but since we are moving to Florida it seems, I may be able to reactivate it as a Florida certificate. So that would be good... so I guess we will see.

As far as leaving the children with Daddy... we are now talking about that as he is supposed to be working out his notice period and wouldn't be able to look after them, but he may give notice earlier now and just look after them instead... Although I don't know if I could actually be away from them that long!!!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I am a teacher, but my certification has gone inactive in Pennsylvania, but since we are moving to Florida it seems, I may be able to reactivate it as a Florida certificate. So that would be good... so I guess we will see.
I wouldn't rely on teaching for a job in the short term. Most states are laying off teachers left right and centre.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't rely on teaching for a job in the short term. Most states are laying off teachers left right and centre.
on the plus side, the OP did say Florida and the state requirements to get certified are so low that a dead bit of road kill could pass it
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

We were just talking about this this morning and about all these teachers that were applying for two positions, one in first grade and the other in kindergarten. I didn't understand why they were interviewing because they have already decided on who they were going to give the job(s) to.
It is sad and pathetic that all these poor teachers who need work have to plead for a job that didn't exist. So different from not too long ago when they were begging for teachers and even went overseas to recruit because they were not available locally .

If your husband has a job maybe he should hang onto it.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:02 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no teaching, well that sort of changes everything. Teachers are moving state just to find jobs, our own school district is encouraging those who qualify to retire this summer and laying of so many I don't see how they will be able to run the schools. Kindergarten next year will have 30-32 kids in each class (getting rid of a couple of teachers there) and the classes will be split into am and pm, with an overlap, so for a couple of hours a day she'll have to cope with 32 kind in a room built for less than 20.
The high school is the same, few to none elective classes, Ds will be a senior and is scrambling for classes he can take to graduate.
So unless you have one of those elusive math/science teaching credentials and tons of experience, you may find it very difficult to find work once you get your Florida cert. Maybe have your Dh hang onto his job as long as possible and leave the kids in their normal daycare/preschool/school for now.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

I didn't want to teach in the first place, but I am just getting my cert in FL to keep it up... but, I am certified in Biology, so a bit more in demand, but not really bothered if I can't teach!!
The job my husband has is in the UK at the moment and we are both here... If I moved over there early and left the kids with Dad, he would be here in the UK, so that is why DH keeping his job is not really an option once we have moved. So I am still not sure what we are doing... We are starting to apply for jobs NOW even though our I-130 hasn't been approved... I thought with everything I hear, it may be better to start early!!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't want to teach in the first place, but I am just getting my cert in FL to keep it up... but, I am certified in Biology, so a bit more in demand, but not really bothered if I can't teach!!
The job my husband has is in the UK at the moment and we are both here... If I moved over there early and left the kids with Dad, he would be here in the UK, so that is why DH keeping his job is not really an option once we have moved. So I am still not sure what we are doing... We are starting to apply for jobs NOW even though our I-130 hasn't been approved... I thought with everything I hear, it may be better to start early!!
How about staying in England until the economic situation improves? Is there a particular rush to move to the US?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:48 am
Just Joined

How about staying in England until the economic situation improves? Is there a particular rush to move to the US?
Yea we want to get there before my oldest son would need to go to school because he is very young for his year group (August birthday) and I would prefer him to start when he is 5 instead of 4.

Plus, my dad has gotten us a house (which we will eventually buy off of him)....

We cannot afford it over here anymore... the houses are soooo expensive that we will never buy one and the rent/grocery bill is killing us!!!

I am hoping my husband will be able to get a job anyway as he has a degree and over 6 years of management experience... he should be able to get something over there!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:40 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Yea we want to get there before my oldest son would need to go to school because he is very young for his year group (August birthday) and I would prefer him to start when he is 5 instead of 4.

Plus, my dad has gotten us a house (which we will eventually buy off of him)....

We cannot afford it over here anymore... the houses are soooo expensive that we will never buy one and the rent/grocery bill is killing us!!!

I am hoping my husband will be able to get a job anyway as he has a degree and over 6 years of management experience... he should be able to get something over there!
I'm sorry but if you think it's going to be any better here you are mistaken. Jobs that used to pay well now pay peanuts and they can get people with a degree to take jobs in lower management making $10 and $12 an hour with no benefits. Add to that your medical costs, and many other niggling costs, taxes fees, and we are struggling by, no cost of living increases, the food and gas goes up and the wages stay the same or get lower, with shortened work weeks.
I had an August babe who went to reception class in UK 4 days after he turned 4, he was such a shy little guy the teacher said she wasn't sure he should be there, but he thrived and did as well as the ones turning 5. If he hadn't done well, she would have kept him in reception again the following year she said.
Also the Kindergarten expectation have risen, she at 5 he will still be among the youngest in the class only now with more like 1st grade work used to be,
My August babe, went to reception class then we moved here, and he started K due to his age (we moved in summer hols) it was an easy year for him, however my youngest just finished K last week, she is doing what the older son had done in 1st and 2nd grade, they are pushing them harder now days.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have to ask... which came first, your dad getting you a house or your desire to move to the US

And the grass is greener in the US?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You will almost certainly have a tough time for the next 12-18 months or so. As said, you will likely miss the time period for keeping creditable coverage so when you do get a group policy there will be a very high chance that diabetes and anything related to diabetes (insurance can tie a lot to it) will not be covered for 12 months. Depending on your financial situation, drug manufacturers offer assistance programs that can help. However, you are concentrating on the insulin. Test strips can run you more money, the brand names are about $1 a strip, the discount generic ones can be around 40-50c a strip. If he tests multiple times a day, it can add up.

What you pay will depend greatly on the type of insulin. NPH and regular can be picked up pretty cheaply and usually without a prescription. The newer stuff (lantus, humalog, novolog, levemir, apidra for instance) costs an arm and a leg. To give an idea, with my "discount" for going through my insurance 2 boxes of lantus pens costs $375, 3 boxes of humalog cartridges costs just under $600 and 1000 OneTouch ultra test strips cost $990. The prices for cash would be slightly higher, depending on your insurance (I'm still meeting my deductible) they could be a lot cheaper.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:06 pm
Banned

Ant Farm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm thinking if you get health insurance though your employer would they exclude DH because of his prior condition???
No, you can't be denied by group plans. If he or she gets a job with insurance, he's in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.