Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance deductibles soar, leaving Americans with unaffordable bills

Health insurance deductibles soar, leaving Americans with unaffordable bills

Old May 3rd 2019, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance deductibles soar, leaving Americans with unaffordable bills

Originally Posted by retzie
... and sensibly only needing medical attention after a three-year planning period...
We've had enough saved maxing out 2 HSAs and a small amount from savings to cover max OOP for each year I've been here. If either or both of us get hit by a bus then I like to know we won't be going into debt to figure the situation out.
Old May 3rd 2019, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance deductibles soar, leaving Americans with unaffordable bills

Originally Posted by tom169
We've had enough saved maxing out 2 HSAs and a small amount from savings to cover max OOP for each year I've been here. If either or both of us get hit by a bus then I like to know we won't be going into debt to figure the situation out.
I think you missed the irony of what you responded to... many don't have the "luxury" of "... sensibly only needing medical attention after a three-year planning period...".

As I've said many times, high deductible plans are great if you are healthy enough to be able to build up a wad of cash in your HSA. But they are arguably poor public policy in that they "siphon" off healthier participants into a high-deductible pool, leaving the less healthy in more traditional insurance. Additionally, by using the tax system, they benefit most those in higher marginal tax brackets.

Having said all that, I have a high deductible plan myself and it's worked well for me.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 3rd 2019 at 5:50 pm.
Old May 3rd 2019, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I think you missed the irony of what you responded to... many don't have the "luxury" of "... sensibly only needing medical attention after a three-year planning period...".

As I've said many times, high deductible plans are great if you are healthy enough to be able to build up a wad of cash in your HSA. But they are arguably poor public policy in that they "siphon" off healthier participants into a high-deductible pool, leaving the less healthy in more traditional insurance. Additionally, by using the tax system, they benefit most those in higher marginal tax brackets.

Having said all that, I have a high deductible plan myself and it's worked well for me.
Oh I got it. Not sure you got the point where I could have paid for it any year of being here. At the start would have taken some of my regular savings. Now it's profit from investments.

The government needs to coerce people into thinking about their health expenses. A good way to do that is a tax sheltered vehicle.
Old May 3rd 2019, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I got it. Not sure you got the point where I could have paid for it any year of being here. At the start would have taken some of my regular savings. Now it's profit from investments.

The government needs to coerce people into thinking about their health expenses. A good way to do that is a tax sheltered vehicle.
We know you could have. The point is that many aren't in that position because of ongoing health issues, so they never get to build up the value of an HSA.

Government coercion through the tax system can happen other than through the benefit being pegged to one's marginal tax rate. If the goal is to maximize access to healthcare, you don't give the largest benefit to those with an income that likely means they can most afford it anyway.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 3rd 2019 at 6:10 pm.
Old May 4th 2019, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We know you could have. The point is that many aren't in that position because of ongoing health issues, so they never get to build up the value of an HSA.

Government coercion through the tax system can happen other than through the benefit being pegged to one's marginal tax rate. If the goal is to maximize access to healthcare, you don't give the largest benefit to those with an income that likely means they can most afford it anyway.
Agree, why do it through the tax system if you want a Gov Subsidy why link it to tax?
Old May 4th 2019, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Agree, why do it through the tax system if you want a Gov Subsidy why link it to tax?
Because you still have to save more than the government effectively subsidizes.
Old May 4th 2019, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...502-story.html

As this seems a common subject and seems to come up often on these forums I thought this article would be of interest as I also think that many on here have a skewed view of the issues most face.

I am not surprised as it falls in with what I am told, nothing suggests to me is that this will not be a continuing trend.
No. No! This can't be true because Obamacare is low-cost health care for poor people. Haven't you read all the insistent posts about that over the years from all the Usual Suspects?
Old May 4th 2019, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I think about mine plenty. Except my (large, multi-national) employer doesn't offer an HSA. There's just not a whole lot to do when the option isn't on the table.

Exactly. But even those of us who ARE healthy enough and wealthy enough to be in a position to plan, don't always have employers who offer this option. (Which of course doesn't stop my non-HSA plan from having a plenty high deductible. Something something lose-lose )
Old May 4th 2019, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

That is just how it is done in the USA and why the tax code is so huge and complex. Many thousands of tax preparers would be out of work if the myriad of government subsidies available were done outside the tax code.

Old May 4th 2019, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by retzie
I think about mine plenty. Except my (large, multi-national) employer doesn't offer an HSA. There's just not a whole lot to do when the option isn't on the table.

Exactly. But even those of us who ARE healthy enough and wealthy enough to be in a position to plan, don't always have employers who offer this option. (Which of course doesn't stop my non-HSA plan from having a plenty high deductible. Something something lose-lose )
Somewhat surprising that a large company hasn't yet started to offer HDHP. After all it's benefits that help sell a company to new talent.
Old May 6th 2019, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by durham_lad
That is just how it is done in the USA and why the tax code is so huge and complex. Many thousands of tax preparers would be out of work if the myriad of government subsidies available were done outside the tax code.
ACA subsidies don't work that way. But it's certainly true that that is the way many of both parties roll. Those "middle class" votes must be "bought" somehow.
Old May 6th 2019, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Somewhat surprising that a large company hasn't yet started to offer HDHP. After all it's benefits that help sell a company to new talent.
I doubt companies offer an HDHP to acquire talent. They offer them to save themselves money.
Old May 6th 2019, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

ACA subsidies don't work that way. But it's certainly true that that is the way many of both parties roll. Those "middle class" votes must be "bought" somehow.
True, but the ACA subsidies are based on taxable income, adjusted MAGI, not actual income or wealth, so for non wage earners in particular there are lots of options in lowering MAGI to get below the threshold for subsidies. On a retirement forum I frequent there are loads of threads on the techniques and options to get below the taxable income threshold to get those ACA subsidies.
Old May 6th 2019, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I doubt companies offer an HDHP to acquire talent. They offer them to save themselves money.
Old May 6th 2019, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by durham_lad

True, but the ACA subsidies are based on taxable income, adjusted MAGI, not actual income or wealth, so for non wage earners in particular there are lots of options in lowering MAGI to get below the threshold for subsidies. On a retirement forum I frequent there are loads of threads on the techniques and options to get below the taxable income threshold to get those ACA subsidies.
Techniques I am about to embark on to get an ACA subsidy for my wife's healthcare until she reaches Medicare age... so, yes, I certainly agree that there are flaws to the ACA approach as well. Other possibilities are doing what Britain used to do with mortgage interest and limiting "relief" to the lowest rate of tax, or simply having a credit -possibly refundable - against tax. Either way avoids a situation whereby higher rate tax payers benefit most.