Health Insurance Costs, E3 visa

Health Insurance Costs, E3 visa

Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:48 am
Just Joined

prawn_86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance Costs, E3 visa

Hi All,

First post here.

Actually an Aussie, but this is by far the best expat forum we have found.

We will be moving to LA in a few months and had a question about health insurance costs. I have already read through the wiki but it didn't answer all questions.

My employer offers the following (paid twice a month):
Low HMO 145 per pay check
Hi HMO 205 per pay check
PPO 325 per pay check

I am awaiting details as to what that actually covers, but 4 - 9k pa seems extremely expensive. Can anyone recommend where else to look or any cheaper alternatives? <<<snip>>> seems to have similar PPO plans for 400pm

We are a couple under 30 with no kids

Any advice much appreciated

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 29th 2013 at 1:13 am. Reason: URL removed
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Costs, E3 visa

Originally Posted by prawn_86
... but 4 - 9k pa seems extremely expensive.
Not for the US.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:55 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not for the US.

Ian
Agreed. The employer is probably paying at least 50% of the premium, so the OP won't find better or cheaper coverage outside of his work plan.

Make sure you look at deductibles too. On the "low plan" they might be quite large so you have to weigh that against the lower premium and your general health.

US health insurance is very expensive and complicated and comes as a shock to many moving to the US. The standard of care is usually very good, although you (or your insurance) of ten pay for unnecessary tests and treatments, so what out for that.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 2:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty cheap.

You don't really have a option, it's work based to have any worth, as private plans are a waste of money.

Got to figure in the cost of co-pays, deductibles, levels of coverage and all kinds of small print.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is never get a private plan if a work plan is available. I think it was brat (?) who did this and ran into a world of pain. Group plans provide you with protections that simply don't exist currently for private plans. The latter can simply get rid of you if you get sick etc. Having said that, things may change starting in 2014, due to the Affordable Care Act. That effectively extends protections that you currently have in group plans to private plans. But it's really not clear yet how the ACA implementation is going to play out.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 6:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi HMO 205 per pay check
PPO 325 per pay check
Sounds about right to me. I have an HMO and my part of the premium is $203 bi-weekly, withheld from my paycheck. I also have dental insurance, at $14 bi-weekly. With my HMO, I pay a $20 co-pay whenever I see the doctor, and about $10 per prescription. My dental payment (to the dentist) varies, depending on what work I have done.

Oh, I should mention the insurance is for me and my spouse, no kids. Our ages are not relevent since it's a group plan covered by my employer.

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Does not seem overly expensive to me.

What are the deductibles? Especially for the PPO. The lower the deductible (the cost you have to pay out before the scheme starts paying anything) the higher the premium.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Agreed. The employer is probably paying at least 50% of the premium, so the OP won't find better or cheaper coverage outside of his work plan.

Make sure you look at deductibles too. On the "low plan" they might be quite large so you have to weigh that against the lower premium and your general health.

US health insurance is very expensive and complicated and comes as a shock to many moving to the US. The standard of care is usually very good, although you (or your insurance) of ten pay for unnecessary tests and treatments, so what out for that.
On our choice of plans, the lowest-cost plan has the lowest co-pays and the PPO the highest.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice everyone
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

My father-in-law's Kidney Dialysis costs just under $5,000 per week (for three treatments) over here.

I wouldn't bitch about the cost of insurance when Health Care Providers can get away with charging these prices.

Jim
Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

First post here.

Actually an Aussie, but this is by far the best expat forum we have found.

We will be moving to LA in a few months and had a question about health insurance costs. I have already read through the wiki but it didn't answer all questions.

Hi HMO 205 per pay check
PPO 325 per pay check

I am awaiting details as to what that actually covers, but 4 - 9k pa seems extremely expensive. Can anyone recommend where else to look or any cheaper alternatives? <<<snip>>> seems to have similar PPO plans for 400pm

We are a couple under 30 with no kids

Any advice much appreciated
Put it this way - if you were earning 150K in Australia you will be charged 2.5% medicare levy OR 1.5% levy + Pvt Health insurance. When I was in Australia I think I was paying 1.5% and around 110 a month of shi tty pvt insurance. At 150K household income that's around ~3.5K. Remember the 110 a month is POST tax dollars so really it was ~4k a year.

Just saying.....
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by E3only
Put it this way - if you were earning 150K in Australia you will be charged 2.5% medicare levy OR 1.5% levy + Pvt Health insurance. When I was in Australia I think I was paying 1.5% and around 110 a month of shi tty pvt insurance. At 150K household income that's around ~3.5K. Remember the 110 a month is POST tax dollars so really it was ~4k a year.

Just saying.....
Yeh i hadnt thought of it like that. Here in Aus for a young couple we are paying just over 4k once you take the medicare levy and our private insurance into account.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 3:08 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

This is our general guide to Health Insurance that might answer some of your questions on terms and the process.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance