Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance confusion

Health insurance confusion

Old Jul 27th 2020, 11:04 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance confusion

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There’s no necessity to spend 18% of GDP on healthcare, exclude millions from effective access and end up with a system that ranks poorly compared to many other western nations.
There's no need to spend a Trillion dollars a year on defense either, but alas, we do it anyway.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
There's no need to spend a Trillion dollars a year on defense either, but alas, we do it anyway.
If the government is going to spunk my tax dollars up the wall I'd rather they did it on healthcare.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
If the government is going to spunk my tax dollars up the wall I'd rather they did it on healthcare.
Don't worry, they do that as well. For example when Medicare was finally expanded to cover prescription drugs in 2006 it was done on the provision that Medicare could not use its purchasing power to bulk buy and negotiate lower prices. I expect it is the same with prescription drugs through the VA medical cover and also with Medicare and other government programs.

I also read this recently

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...cription-drugs

Utah cuts healthcare costs by flying employees to Mexico for prescriptions

Utah’s plan lets people collect medications at a fraction of the US cost, while other states are looking to import drugs from CanadaThe year-old programme involves about 10 state employees. The cost savings are so large that the insurance program can pay for each patient’s flight, give them a $500-per-trip bonus and still save tens of thousands of dollars.

One participant, Ann Lovell, a 62-year-old teacher, said she had saved as much as $2,400 by travelling from Salt Lake City to San Diego and then crossing the border, in order to refill a prescription for arthritis medication.

Last edited by durham_lad; Jul 29th 2020 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Don't worry, they do that as well. For example when Medicare was finally expanded to cover prescription drugs in 2006 it was done on the provision that Medicare could not use its purchasing power to bulk buy and negotiate lower prices. I expect it is the same with prescription drugs through the VA medical cover and also with Medicare and other government programs.
I think Medicare is the only federal program that is not allowed to negotiate. That is the only way the Republicans would pass part D drug coverage back in 04/05. The drug industry got good value for their lobbying $$$. Trump's executive order is trying to change that but will almost certainly be tied up in the courts. Absent legislation, it's unlikely anything will change.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I think Medicare is the only federal program that is not allowed to negotiate. That is the only way the Republicans would pass part D drug coverage back in 04/05. The drug industry got good value for their lobbying $$$. Trump's executive order is trying to change that but will almost certainly be tied up in the courts. Absent legislation, it's unlikely anything will change.
Thanks for that, I wasn’t sure. I have a friend who goes through the Medicare Part D “donut hole” every year as his wife has COPD so each year they get through a lot of drugs and eventually pay the max out of pocket expenses (~$6k) before Part D starts picking up 95% of the cost.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medi...D_coverage_gap