Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance, is it that bad?

Health Insurance, is it that bad?

Old Sep 7th 2016, 1:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance, is it that bad?

Originally Posted by robin1234
But still saving hundreds or thousands a year, if I I don't need medical services that year. So the same high deductible calculation that folks make when they are of working age....

(Teaching grandmother to suck eggs...) ....
Yeah, several years ago I used to be a lone voice on health insurance threads, and I was usually completely ignored. Now I am mainstream, .... but haven't changed my stance at all.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 2:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
But I have a high deductible type Medicare Advantage plan - my total out of pocket could be $6,500 per annum. Assuming a life expectancy of twenty years in retirement, I assume that's where the scary sounding figure of "hundreds of thousands" comes in. Of course, it's not scary at all, so long as you've budgeted for it. But I can see how it's a bit of an alien thought for folks coming from the UK.
We are fortunate that hubby worked for a Westchester school system and our supplemental medical is obtained through the system/union and while it has risen over the years, it has only done who by less than $100 per annum. We have no deductible and it includes meds.

My sister has Freedom Healthcare available in Florida and they don't pay any premiums (at least that is what she claims) for their supplemental and their deductible is only $2500 per person per annum.

Fully agree that we are super lucky and that anyone who does not have our luck faces financial hardship when it comes to healthcare deductibles and premiums.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by egno
Hi All,

I have been reading the USA and Canada forums for a while now.

We (couple - no kids - late 30s) are interesting in relocating and are deciding between USA or Canada.

Qualifications and experience wise we have a number of years of software experience in good organisations and confident of a job offer in Canada or through L1 to the USA.

Thinking long term, it seems that in USA, health insurance is a big issue unless one plans to work until 65 years old and/or have employer coverage and constantly plan towards it. Some websites seem to say hundred of thousands of dollars even with Medicare for post retirement. I also saw the BE wiki mentioning the costs of health care.

In spite of having family there and liking the options it gives - variety of weather, big houses, travelling, etc. - health insurance seems like a blocker and one that is making us lean towards Canada.

How do you all see it? Just wondering if there is may be something i missed as it is a massive decision.

I would really appreciate any info on how you plan for it. Do you all expect to work until 65 and spend tens of thousands of dollars yearly on it? Is it not stressful as we seem to perceive it?

I suppose it's always the question if you love to live or love to work and also depends on the location and your expectations. I suppose Americans accept Corporatocracy more than Europeans do and as long as you love and have the job that pays, it's all grand. Many people with software experience in the Bay Area love to work and they can't be bothered going back to their tiny bedsit, so even with a good job the big house is not always guaranteed these days (depending on location).
Old Sep 7th 2016, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

There was an article somewhere about a seriously teckie guy who retired from Apple at 56, some year later, bored and wanting to do something he applied for a job at the Genius Bar, this guy wrote the book, never heard anything.
Yes, they made out that he was refused a Genius Bar job because of his age but it was more likely he was overqualified instead.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 2:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Yes, they made out that he was refused a Genius Bar job because of his age but it was more likely he was overqualified instead.
You can be over qualified to be a Genius?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I suppose it's always the question if you love to live or love to work and also depends on the location and your expectations. I suppose Americans accept Corporatocracy more than Europeans do and as long as you love and have the job that pays, it's all grand. Many people with software experience in the Bay Area love to work and they can't be bothered going back to their tiny bedsit, so even with a good job the big house is not always guaranteed these days (depending on location).
I'm not sure how Europeans differ from Americans, other than by going on benefits.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You can be over qualified to be a Genius?
Seems you can be over qualified for anything these days, if your older but under 60, and have work experience, even fast food may consider you over qualified.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I'm not sure how Europeans differ from Americans, other than by going on benefits.
I think you misunderstood that. It's more the political situation and no, not all people live on benefits in Europe. As said, as long as you have a good job in America you're grand and that's why people love corporations and accept that they rule the country and people.

In many European countries you'll find that people work for people, so we have the security not to lose our home if we lose our job etc.
Of course you can argue which system is better and unfortunately there will always be people abusing the system and even here things have changed. The difference in the US is that the corporations abuse the people, so in one way Europeans don't differ from Americans I agree.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

egno is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your replies! It is very helpful.

The OH thinks health insurance will be a constant effort or something to be taken care of if we go for the US. We will be doing more research.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

It is a moving target, we can only comment on the current situation, future will be different, and that is anybody's guess.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 9:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It is a moving target, we can only comment on the current situation, future will be different, and that is anybody's guess.
I think the less reliant you are on the "insurance" and "government funding" elements of the US "healthcare system", the less difficult the future will be.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think the less reliant you are on the "insurance" and "government funding" elements of the US "healthcare system", the less difficult the future will be.
Agree