Health Insurance on arrival in the US

Wikiposts

Health Insurance on arrival in the US

Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

MATT.JAMES.BRADLEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance on arrival in the US

Hello!

My name is Matthew Bradley, and i'm soon moving to America on a K1 visa to marry my USC fiancee.

We've spoken about health insurance already, and there is a chance that I may be able to be put on my fiancee's health plan via a company benefit.

However, I anticipate that this will take a while to finalize, if it does indeed become a reality. During this time I was wondering if whether or not I could purchase travel insurance for a couple of months, just as i would if i was travelling on the VWP, to cover any medical emergencies.

I have a feeling that this wouldn't be a valid form of insurance as I am soon to be a resident in america. Basically to cut a long story short, is it ok to purchase travel insurance for the first 3 months of living in America? Or would this be void due to my residential status now.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Matt Bradley
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance on arrival in the US

Originally Posted by MATT.JAMES.BRADLEY
Hello!

My name is Matthew Bradley, and i'm soon moving to America on a K1 visa to marry my USC fiancee.

We've spoken about health insurance already, and there is a chance that I may be able to be put on my fiancee's health plan via a company benefit.

However, I anticipate that this will take a while to finalize, if it does indeed become a reality. During this time I was wondering if whether or not I could purchase travel insurance for a couple of months, just as i would if i was travelling on the VWP, to cover any medical emergencies.

I have a feeling that this wouldn't be a valid form of insurance as I am soon to be a resident in america. Basically to cut a long story short, is it ok to purchase travel insurance for the first 3 months of living in America? Or would this be void due to my residential status now.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Matt Bradley
You are right...travel insurance is not what you want, because you are immigrating. Most likely you won't get on her insurance until after you're batteries. Check out the general USA forum, lots more posts regarding insurance over there.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

She can add you to her company plan as soon as you marry, if her plan covers spouse (I believe that is normal). I went without health insurance in the interim, which was only 6 weeks or so, till we married.

I was added to her car insurance straight away though. I don't know how much that would have helped in the event of an accident.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Health insurance was one of the main reasons DF (now DH) got married quickly after he arrived on the K-1. Once we married and I showed our marriage certificate to my employer's HR, I was able to add him, and his coverage was effective the first of the following month. (We got married on the 30th, recorded the marriage and turned in proof on the 31st, and he was covered effective the 1st.) Have your fiancée check her employer's policy regarding adding family members.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So many threads on the subject, quite a few temporary options have been mentioned, but they're not up to much. Get married, tell HR, get added to her policy as a major life changing event and you'll either get covered from date of marriage, next pay period, or the first of the following month, just however the company handles it.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:47 am
Just Joined

MATT.JAMES.BRADLEY is an unknown quantity at this point

hello all

thank you so far for all of your help!