Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Jul 25th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The bolded parts are the key... great for younger/healthier people, not so great for older people who are likelier in poorer health.
The OP already said that they're young and in good health, so it's a strong consideration for them. Why pay $800+ a month for a good, comprehensive plan they'll almost certainly not need and have that money be gone for ever, when they can pay a few hundred instead, max out a HSA ($6,450 for a family for 2013), and build up a nice little nest egg for themselves for the future? Do that for 10 years or so, and even if they then switch onto a more traditional plan, get employer cover, etc, with compounding they'll easily have over $100k come retirement.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of participants who have a significant amount in their HSAs at retirement. I suspect it's fleetingly small.
Too early to say; they've only really been mainstream for a few years. We're certainly treating ours as a 401(k) by another name, and using it to funnel tax-free money up the lifetime pipeline to when we're older, and will either need it for health-related expenses or general living.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The bolded parts are the key... great for younger/healthier people, not so great for older people who are likelier in poorer health. .....
While often true, I don't understand why there is a blanket presumption that everyone get sick and needs ongoing medical attention after they pass, say, 50. My father probably went to the doctor no more than five times in the twenty five years prior to his retirement (at 70), and in fact I only recall him going once. My mother is about the same, and at 78 years old is not on any long term medication. I aspire to achieve the same degree of interaction, and most (not all) of my contact with the US medical profession has been at best marginally satisfying.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
While often true, I don't understand why there is a blanket presumption that everyone get sick and needs ongoing medical attention after they pass, say, 50. My father probably went to the doctor no more than five times in the twenty five years prior to his retirement (at 70), and in fact I only recall him going once. My mother is about the same, and at 78 years old is not on any long term medication. I aspire to achieve the same degree of interaction, and most (not all) of my contact with the US medical profession has been at best marginally satisfying.
I don't think there's a blanket presumption... it's merely that the statistical odds of incurring medical bills increases exponentially after age 50. That is especially scary in a country where tests for things like MRIs are so much higher than other countries. If the costs were lower, I would be more of a fan of HSAs in general.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Interesting thing I learned recently about group plans. The rate is determined by the pool of employees in your group. That one guy who is always ill and on a dozen meds is going to be a problem.
He gets laid off first as part of cost cutting measures.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

That is especially scary in a country where tests for things like MRIs are so much higher than other countries. If the costs were lower, I would be more of a fan of HSAs in general.
HSAs can be used for medical expenses in other countries - a spot of medical tourism if necessary, perhaps?
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
HSAs can be used for medical expenses in other countries - a spot of medical tourism if necessary, perhaps?
Lots of Americans go to Mexico for their dental treatment...
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
This is one of the reasons ageism is so prevalent in the US. A startup I used to work at refused to interview anyone over 50 for this precise reason.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Hubby's company puts up to $1500 (depending on single, family, etc) into employees' HSAs, in exchange all adults on the associated health insurance policy getting an annual screening for BMI, blood glucose, etc, and submitting their results on the company intranet. Wonder what they're using THAT data for in their corporate decision-making processes..?

(We fall in healthy ranges for all these things, so happily comply and take the free money.)
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's a blanket presumption... it's merely that the statistical odds of incurring medical bills increases exponentially after age 50. That is especially scary in a country where tests for things like MRIs are so much higher than other countries. If the costs were lower, I would be more of a fan of HSAs in general.
That's me. I've seldom visited a doctor throughout my life, at 51 have suddenly needed a mass of stuff.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

By way of data input, should anyone need it. My dentist trip today consisted of 2 replacement fillings and a cleaning.

I am fully insured. It cost me 120 USD. I was shown the portion the insurance picked up was 399 USD. So all in the work was 519 USD. So that's 346 GBP.

I used a new dentist today to get more of my PPO plan as my previous one was not PPO.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Hubby's company puts up to $1500 (depending on single, family, etc) into employees' HSAs, in exchange all adults on the associated health insurance policy getting an annual screening for BMI, blood glucose, etc, and submitting their results on the company intranet. Wonder what they're using THAT data for in their corporate decision-making processes..?

(We fall in healthy ranges for all these things, so happily comply and take the free money.)
That is so scarey!

Presumably they can quickly terminate you before you become a negative line item to the corporate Ayran super race workplace and damage the overall policy liability.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Caruthers
By way of data input, should anyone need it. My dentist trip today consisted of 2 replacement fillings and a cleaning.

I am fully insured. It cost me 120 USD. I was shown the portion the insurance picked up was 399 USD. So all in the work was 519 USD. So that's 346 GBP.
It doesn't sound like you are 'fully insured'..? Our dental insurance, a Cigna one through hubby's company costing around $35 a month for a family of four, does all basic things like check ups, x-rays, cleanings, and fillings for free. Even for a crown, my contribution was only $200 (20%, the insurance pays the rest).
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

It doesn't sound like you are 'fully insured'..? Our dental insurance, a Cigna one through hubby's company costing around $35 a month for a family of four, does all basic things like check ups, x-rays, cleanings, and fillings for free. Even for a crown, my contribution was only $200 (20%, the insurance pays the rest).
Yes fully insured, Delta. I just went to a different one today because my old one of ten years was out of plan and I just grew tired of going there.

Maybe its just California for the costs. I grow so weary of the all the medical hurdles here....

The dentist was extremely pretty though. So I don't mind.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Dental treatment is at least one of those things where you don't feel as outraged paying for it in the US, given it's nigh on impossible now to get an NHS dentist in the UK anyway!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

given it's nigh on impossible now to get an NHS dentist in the UK anyway!
In some areas, certainly not where I am. Signs outside lots of dentists in Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey advertising for new NHS patients, and we've had our pick of them the last 2 times we've moved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.