Reload this Page >

Health Insurance-65+ y/old

Wikiposts

Health Insurance-65+ y/old

Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:54 am
Just Joined

zany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance-65+ y/old

I'm 68, married, and my wife was informed by a friend that there was a "reciprocal agreement" between the U.S. and the U.K. to cover health insurance. To date I have not been able to substantiate this but the friend is "sure" this is so. Does anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by zany; Dec 20th 2010 at 5:58 am.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:08 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zany
I'm 68, married, and my wife was informed by a friend that there was a "reciprocal agreement" between the U.S. and the U.K. to cover health insurance. To date I have not been able to substantiate this but the friend is "sure" this is so. Does anyone know anything about this?
Reciprocal agreements exist, but they mostly cover tourists & travellers; not people who have permanently relocated. They generally only cover emergencies or medically necessary care. Here's information from the Australian Government, for instance. However, that might be what your wife's friend was referring to. I don't think the USA is included in reciprocal schemes like this..
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Reciprocal agreements exist, but they mostly cover tourists & travellers; not people who have permanently relocated. They generally only cover emergencies or medically necessary care. Here's information from the Australian Government, for instance. However, that might be what your wife's friend was referring to. I don't think the USA is included in reciprocal schemes like this..
Maybe the friend is confusing it with the reciprocal agreement for social security?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Has your wife worked and obtained her 40 credits making her eligible for Medicare?

The spouse of a resident who has paid into the Medicare scheme, can, usually, obtain cover as well once the paid up spouse reaches 65.

I say, usually, because the Medicare website implies that each person's case is individual - but you should check this out if your wife is eligible.

If your wife is not eligible what is she going to do at 65?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:50 am
Just Joined

zany is an unknown quantity at this point

Both my wife and I are from the UK, retired, and have not worked in the U.S. since arrival about thee years ago. We are both over 65.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zany
Both my wife and I are from the UK, retired, and have not worked in the U.S. since arrival about thee years ago. We are both over 65.
I asked this before but got no answer.... why did you move to the US as retirees without seemingly understanding the healthcare implications? Do you have other relatives over here, for example? What insurance do you currently have, if any? If i was in your position, I'd be seriously thinking about moving back to the UK.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 20th 2010 at 9:16 am.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Things are a changing, you should however be able to buy into Medicare in a couple of years.

Ooops I said that, I did read on another board somebody who came here after 65 and could not find any to buy, you may be fortunate and got in under the threshold.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Dec 20th 2010 at 9:09 am.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Things are a changing, you should however be able to buy into Medicare in a couple of years.

What are you basing this on?

I do think the healthcare reform provisions will help them, however not until 2014. And even then only assuming the Republicans or courts haven't gutted the reforms by then!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:15 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Ooops I said that, I did read on another board somebody who came here after 65 and could not find any to buy, you may be fortunate and got in under the threshold.
If you are not eligible for medicare certainly in Oregon Blue Cross/Blue Shield will insure you after 65. The rates are not in the normal printed list you have to ask.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is my understanding that, CURRENTLY, if you have been a permanent resident for over 5 years and/or a citizen you can, under some circumstances, pay into the Medicare scheme if you have not acquired the necessary 40 credits.

I am being cautious here, because the Medicare website does not provide definitive descriptions as to who can quality but states "some people may be able to" pay.

I don't believe the OP is eligible for this though, having only been in the US 3 years.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I don't believe the OP is eligible for this though, having only been in the US 3 years.
So they may be able to buy into Medicare around the start of 2013 and they may be helped by healthcare reform (allowing them to buy price-capped private insurance) at the start of 2014.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
So they may be able to buy into Medicare around the start of 2013 and they may be helped by healthcare reform (allowing them to buy price-capped private insurance) at the start of 2014.
Seems a fair summary.

Welcome to America.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can't imagine coming to the US without health insurance/cover sorted out.

Especially when you are over 60. I think its the most worrying part about moving over here

Anyway my best wishes to the OP - let us know how you get on.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

time for that greeters door job at Walmart...why else do you think the skeletons are doing it well in to their 80's? Not for the conversation.