British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   health insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-498685/)

england1 Dec 8th 2007 4:00 pm

health insurance

anyone any sensible ideas on health insurance for a uk family moving to florida on e2 ?

couple late forties, teenage lad ( 15 ) all fit

Tracym Dec 8th 2007 5:10 pm

Re: health insurance

Originally Posted by england1 (Post 5646905)
anyone any sensible ideas on health insurance for a uk family moving to florida on e2 ?

That (I believe?) is a non-immigrant visa. So it might make things more complicated. You could contact a U.S. insurance broker in addition to the further suggestions you will probably get here.

I have no personal experience - but one person on the forum mentioned

http://www.medibroker.com/

floridakiwis Dec 8th 2007 8:53 pm

Look into getting extended travel insurance (6 months and above). It was available 4 years ago and we made a claim without any problems.

Until you get a Social Security Number, getting any kind of insurance or credit is virtually imposible.

Tracym Dec 8th 2007 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by floridakiwis (Post 5647747)
Look into getting extended travel insurance (6 months and above). It was available 4 years ago and we made a claim without any problems.

Until you get a Social Security Number, getting any kind of insurance or credit is virtually imposible.

What travel insurance did you use?

Most require that the trip both begins and ENDS in the UK.

floridakiwis Dec 8th 2007 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5647749)
What travel insurance did you use?

Most require that the trip both begins and ENDS in the UK.

Sorry... too long ago to recall the name of the agency. And yes, the intended purpose of the travel insurance was for a return trip; however we managed to renew our 3 month coverage to 6 months during our stay no questions asked. We then made a claim near the end of the coverage period without any problems and without returning home.

Keeping in mind that you are getting insurance for catastrophic or at least serious incidents, after which you always have the option of returning home. Without a doubt, insurance here is expensive, and no matter what coverage you do get, a serious illness or incident would be a hefty financial burden (taking into account co-pays & maximum coverage limits etc...)

The Medical & Insurance industry is the biggest challenge you will have to overcome in your new venture (Followed closely by a Credit Rating).

Tracym Dec 8th 2007 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by floridakiwis (Post 5647902)
Sorry... too long ago to recall the name of the agency. And yes, the intended purpose of the travel insurance was for a return trip; however we managed to renew our 3 month coverage to 6 months during our stay no questions asked. We then made a claim near the end of the coverage period without any problems and without returning home.

Keeping in mind that you are getting insurance for catastrophic or at least serious incidents, after which you always have the option of returning home. Without a doubt, insurance here is expensive, and no matter what coverage you do get, a serious illness or incident would be a hefty financial burden (taking into account co-pays & maximum coverage limits etc...)

The Medical & Insurance industry is the biggest challenge you will have to overcome in your new venture (Followed closely by a Credit Rating).

The thing is with travel insurance - make a big claim, and don't return to the UK.... and you might have quite a problem.

I had some fun with a UK travel insurance company - they paid, but it took two years and the ombudsman to accomplish it. Even a lawyer was ignored.

So I would not trust in that.

Also - if something serious happens, they have the right to repatriate you, rather than treat the problem in the U.S. (if you can travel of course). So if you don't WANT to go home....

Bit iffy, imo.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 8th 2007 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5647906)
The thing is with travel insurance - make a big claim, and don't return to the UK.... and you might have quite a problem.

I had some fun with a UK travel insurance company - they paid, but it took two years and the ombudsman to accomplish it. Even a lawyer was ignored.

So I would not trust in that.

Also - if something serious happens, they have the right to repatriate you, rather than treat the problem in the U.S. (if you can travel of course). So if you don't WANT to go home....

Bit iffy, imo.

The only thing I would change is Iffy, very iffy.

You might well slide by a small claim, a larger one, different situation.

Bob Dec 8th 2007 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by floridakiwis (Post 5647747)

that would be a waste of money, they wouldn't pay out in the need of a claim because it would be voided by the fact you ain't going back to the UK.

Bob Dec 8th 2007 10:47 pm

have a search of the forums, plenty of threads on the topic...check out the big guns direct - anthem, cigna, bluecross blue shield and ehealth? I think it was.

But E2 with kids? Are you nuts?

michmel Dec 9th 2007 11:30 am

I wish you lots of luck, you are going to need it. Well, I can recommend this website:-http://www.britishflorida.com
take a look on their, there is an insurance broker advertising on there and he's very helpful. V. expensive, and the insurance companies will do all they can to tell you that something is not covered when it is, so beware. The dental is v. expensive, cost me $700.00 for my child to have 2 fillings without insurance. You will need to get used to having a fear of becoming sick or ill, because if you do then it's big stress here even with health insurance. Also, be careful where you buy a property, make sure the schools are A graded, look on www.greatschools.net and any schools graded A you know you'll be safe with. Here in Orlando Schools are either A or D, seems to be no inbetween.

Most people who we have met since we came here have been through tons of stress getting and trying to keep their E2 visa. It's not to be taken lightly at all. We are lucky because we got our green card through the diversity lottery, BUT, I say lucky, but at the moment we don't feel that way. It's a struggle to live here with or without a green card. Crime is very high and people who live here, for the most part are miserable and unfriendly. All I can say is watch your back, there's lot of rip of merchants around. Don't trust people easily, as there's people here to make money off you, big time, each and every way you turn.

I wish I had this advice before we came here, not that we've ripped off, because we haven't but we know of plenty of people who have.

Good luck and stay strong, you'll need your strength. Please feel free to pm me if you need to know the realistic side of living in Orlando area.

floridakiwis Dec 9th 2007 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by michmel (Post 5649471)
I wish you lots of luck, you are going to need it. Well, I can recommend this website:-http://www.britishflorida.com
take a look on their, there is an insurance broker advertising on there and he's very helpful. V. expensive, and the insurance companies will do all they can to tell you that something is not covered when it is, so beware. The dental is v. expensive, cost me $700.00 for my child to have 2 fillings without insurance. You will need to get used to having a fear of becoming sick or ill, because if you do then it's big stress here even with health insurance. Also, be careful where you buy a property, make sure the schools are A graded, look on www.greatschools.net and any schools graded A you know you'll be safe with. Here in Orlando Schools are either A or D, seems to be no inbetween.

Most people who we have met since we came here have been through tons of stress getting and trying to keep their E2 visa. It's not to be taken lightly at all. We are lucky because we got our green card through the diversity lottery, BUT, I say lucky, but at the moment we don't feel that way. It's a struggle to live here with or without a green card. Crime is very high and people who live here, for the most part are miserable and unfriendly. All I can say is watch your back, there's lot of rip of merchants around. Don't trust people easily, as there's people here to make money off you, big time, each and every way you turn.

I wish I had this advice before we came here, not that we've ripped off, because we haven't but we know of plenty of people who have.

Good luck and stay strong, you'll need your strength. Please feel free to pm me if you need to know the realistic side of living in Orlando area.

Well said MICHMEL, and very accurate. U.S is not what it once was, and definitely NOT what an American would have you believe it is.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... until you have to cut it.

Just don't burn your bridges until you really know what you are getting into.

penguinsix Dec 9th 2007 3:22 pm

I'm gathering you are buying a company or creating one. My advice would be something along these lines:

a) get some temporary travel insurance to cover you from moment one off the plane until say 60-90 days.

b) when your new company is formed (LLC?) or whatever, taken on a payroll processing service to handle the payroll (Paychex, ADP, or even your bank perhaps). As part of their services, they often offer bundled health care options (i.e. what is called a buffet plan) that you can then choose to offer to all your 'employees', including yourself and family. You'll get a better rate if you are a small business rather than an individual.

I'm not sure what your business is going to be, but it will probably be wise to set up an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) as an entity for the company. This way you avoid some tax issues, and far more importantly, some legal liability issues (guy slips on the floor, sues you, but if you have an LLC, he can't take your house, car, etc). If you have an LLC set up, you also avoid the issue of double taxation (i.e. there are no taxes on the 'entity'--the income passes through to you and you pay your normal income tax).

In addition, I think if you have the LLC pay for the health insurance for employees (or a certain amount) than that would go as a business expense against the LLC. If you pay for the insurance yourself, that is an after tax expense (i.e. you pay your income tax, and with the remainder you have to buy insurance). Nice way to help lower the cost (though not entirely sure on that).

But for liability reasons alone, the LLC paperwork is worth its weight in gold..

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 9th 2007 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5649791)
I'm gathering you are buying a company or creating one. My advice would be something along these lines:

a) get some temporary travel insurance to cover you from moment one off the plane until say 60-90 days.

b) when your new company is formed (LLC?) or whatever, taken on a payroll processing service to handle the payroll (Paychex, ADP, or even your bank perhaps). As part of their services, they often offer bundled health care options (i.e. what is called a buffet plan) that you can then choose to offer to all your 'employees', including yourself and family. You'll get a better rate if you are a small business rather than an individual.

I'm not sure what your business is going to be, but it will probably be wise to set up an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) as an entity for the company. This way you avoid some tax issues, and far more importantly, some legal liability issues (guy slips on the floor, sues you, but if you have an LLC, he can't take your house, car, etc). If you have an LLC set up, you also avoid the issue of double taxation (i.e. there are no taxes on the 'entity'--the income passes through to you and you pay your normal income tax).

In addition, I think if you have the LLC pay for the health insurance for employees (or a certain amount) than that would go as a business expense against the LLC. If you pay for the insurance yourself, that is an after tax expense (i.e. you pay your income tax, and with the remainder you have to buy insurance). Nice way to help lower the cost (though not entirely sure on that).

But for liability reasons alone, the LLC paperwork is worth its weight in gold..

LLC can be a bit of a PITA from a tax perspective as they will not be able to elect to file as a S Corp.

But I am sure Business Formation has been covered as part of their E2 application.

Tracym Dec 9th 2007 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5649791)

So re. the travel insurance...

If they get hurt/ill, do what? Go back to the UK?

penguinsix Dec 9th 2007 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 5649819)
LLC can be a bit of a PITA from a tax perspective as they will not be able to elect to file as a S Corp.

LLC is different from an S Corp. It's really one or the other. They have the same functionality in pass through taxation (and yes, S Corps cannot have foreign owners) but there really isn't the need to form as an S-corp if you file an LLC.

Are you saying an LLC doesn't have pass through taxation if the owners are not US Citizens? Haven't heard that.

LLC paperwork is minimal. I've formed an LLC with three sentences (not even a paragraph).