Reload this Page >

Having a choice - Tax considerations

Having a choice - Tax considerations

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

judgefredd1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a choice - Tax considerations

Hi all,

First, nice to be hear - there is some fantastic advice on these forums. I have had a search around but don't seem to be able to track down what I'm after. If my question has already been dealt with please do tell me and I will leave you all alone.

I have the option of applying for an EB5. The plan is that me and my business partner (who work in investment) would relocate our families to the US (likely California as my wife could work at her current firm in LA), and would buy a series of businesses there. We are in the business of buying businesses in the same or complimentary industries to create a larger player (a roll-up).

This gives us the option of going for the EB5, however my concern is that we are then on the hook for US taxes as green card holders if we ever chose to leave.

It seems to me then that the logical thing to do would be to go for an E2 visa first, keep that rolling until such time as we knew we were never going to move again, and then convert that into an EB5.

Is this even possible? And, if so, is it desirable or can anyone foresee any issues?

Thanks in advance.

J.