Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Having a baby in the US - brit married to american

Having a baby in the US - brit married to american

Old May 15th 2013, 8:35 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby in the US - brit married to american

Originally Posted by Manc
she will need to have lived in the UK for a certain duration in order to pass it on I believe.
Interesting.
Didn't know about that one.
Old May 15th 2013, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Interesting.
Don't know how many years are required. It's been discussed many times in the MBTTUK forums...JAJ was the poster giving out info if I remember correctly.
Old May 15th 2013, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Interesting.
From my investigations British citizenship can only be 'passed down' for one generation.

So if you are a Brit (by living there as a kid or being born there) then you can pass it one generation to your kids. But they can't 'pass it on' to theirs without meeting some specific criteria (for example living there for a time before they turn 18).

But if you 'inherited' British citizenship from your parents (so you are British by descent) then it's already been passed on one generation and you can't pass it down to your kids unless you meet the same criteria as I mentioned above (and are therefore Brit other than by descent).

That was meant to help clarify. I'm sure the technical details aren't all there but hopefully the idea is.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

abullock22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackattack
From my investigations British citizenship can only be 'passed down' for one generation.

So if you are a Brit (by living there as a kid or being born there) then you can pass it one generation to your kids. But they can't 'pass it on' to theirs without meeting some specific criteria (for example living there for a time before they turn 18).

But if you 'inherited' British citizenship from your parents (so you are British by descent) then it's already been passed on one generation and you can't pass it down to your kids unless you meet the same criteria as I mentioned above (and are therefore Brit other than by descent).

That was meant to help clarify. I'm sure the technical details aren't all there but hopefully the idea is.
thanks for this - you dont know the number of years the child has to live in back in england do you?
seems that might be the way for us to go anyway if my wife wants to get dual citizenship also, we will have to move back to the uk for a minimum of 3 years anyway it seems. - if it can all be tied in together that would be something to certainly think about.

Last edited by abullock22; May 15th 2013 at 10:02 pm. Reason: missed words
Old May 15th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by abullock22
thanks for this - you dont know the number of years the child has to live in back in england do you?
seems that might be the way for us to go anyway if my wife wants to get dual citizenship also, we will have to move back to the uk for a minimum of 3 years anyway it seems. - if it can all be tied in together that would be something to certainly think about.
I have a feeling that it is 3 years before they turn 18; but I haven't done the detailed research on that since it couldn't help my husband's family so I stopped researching.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
I have a feeling that it is 3 years before they turn 18; but I haven't done the detailed research on that since it couldn't help my husband's family so I stopped researching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...United_Kingdom

"Where the parent is a British citizen by descent additional requirements apply. In the most common scenario, the parent is normally expected to have lived in the UK for three consecutive years and apply to register the child as a British citizen while the child is a minor."
Old May 16th 2013, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a note, we didn't do consular birth registration for either of ours and its been fine. Never had any trouble getting their passports etc.

Your child can have British children if their spouse is British otherwise by descent btw...
Old May 16th 2013, 12:22 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
Just as a note, we didn't do consular birth registration for either of ours and its been fine. Never had any trouble getting their passports etc.

Your child can have British children if their spouse is British otherwise by descent btw...
Sure, if your child has "by descent" nationality and they have a child either born in England or by an English Mother who has "other than by descent", then their child will be English also.

In any event, a child born with "by descent" status has full rights to reside there and call themselves English as much as their parent who was born in England.

I think.
Old May 16th 2013, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, if your child has "by descent" nationality and they have a child either born in England or by an English Mother who has "other than by descent", then their child will be English also.

In any event, a child born with "by descent" status has full rights to reside there and call themselves English as much as their parent who was born in England.

I think.
Yes.
Old May 16th 2013, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
Same here. Consular birth registration is optional - and, in fact, it is not even available for UKC's born in certain countries (e.g. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland).

However, some people recommend consular birth registration for UKC's born in the US. The main issue is that US birth records can be amended after adoptions. So a US birth cert may not name the biological parents. UK authorities are therefore suspicious of US birth certs issued more than 3 months after birth. It doesn't mean that they won't be accepted - it just means that you might be asked some additional questions or asked for further proof that you are the biological parent (e.g. a hospital record of birth). The issue is further complicated by the fact that birth cert standards differ widely - there is no consistent format.

If you feel confident that you can obtain and safely store the required documentation (and that your child can also do the same after you are gone), consular birth registration is not necessary. However, some people like the peace of mind of knowing that their child's birth has been registered with the UK authorities and that a UK birth cert (which can be used for UK passport applications) can be obtained later from the GRO in the UK.

One of my kids was born in the US. I have obtained multiple copies of her US birth cert (the full/long version that gives details of both parents), multiple copies of her parents' UK birth certs and marriage cert. I have not gone through consular birth registration for her. However, I might yet decide to do so just to make things easier for her after I am gone.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 16th 2013 at 1:05 pm.
Old May 16th 2013, 1:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

It's an extreme case (and its from the Daily Fail so apologies in advance) but it just goes to show how we should try and cover as many angles as possible. Who knows what could happen when the stars align and form a "perfect storm"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-British.html
Old May 16th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sue
It's an extreme case (and its from the Daily Fail so apologies in advance) but it just goes to show how we should try and cover as many angles as possible. Who knows what could happen when the stars align and form a "perfect storm"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-British.html
Scary stuff! Interestingly, consular birth registration wouldn't have helped in this case as it is not available for UKC's born in South Africa. I think it was at one point but maybe before this person was born.

This also brings up an interesting point. What's to stop a mother from falsely naming someone as the father of her child (and adding him to the birth record) simply to allow this man to pass on citizenship by descent? With DNA tests becoming easier to obtain, how long before they replace birth records for citizenship purposes (at least for citizenship by descent)?

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 16th 2013 at 4:19 pm.
Old May 16th 2013, 6:45 pm
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes.
Ah!
Old May 19th 2013, 7:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Scary stuff! Interestingly, consular birth registration wouldn't have helped in this case as it is not available for UKC's born in South Africa. I think it was at one point but maybe before this person was born.
It was a method to acquire U.K. citizenship in non-Commonwealth countries up to the end of 1982. South Africa was non-Commonwealth between 1962-94. Consular birth registration must have ceased in South Africa in 1994 or later on.

This also brings up an interesting point. What's to stop a mother from falsely naming someone as the father of her child (and adding him to the birth record) simply to allow this man to pass on citizenship by descent?
Since July 2006, if the mother is married, then the "father" of the child for British nationality purposes is always her spouse. Whether or not the man is the biological parent is irrelevant. Who is named on the birth certificate only becomes relevant if the mother is not married.

If it can be shown there is a natural link to a British father, and the child is not British under the law, then registration may be considered by the Secretary of State if the child is aged under 18.
Old May 20th 2013, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gingerert
I have nothing extra to add, but I just wanted to say my baby was due on July 4th LAST year! Little stinker didn't arrive until July 13th though...
That's a good day to be born.. since it's my birthday too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.