Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you gained weight since moving to the US?

View Poll Results: Have you gained weight, lost weight or remained the same since moving to the US?
Male, have gained weight
42.11%
Female, have gained weieght
28.95%
Male, weight has remained the same
11.84%
Female, weight has remained the same
6.58%
Male, have lost weight
6.58%
Female, have lost weight
3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Have you gained weight since moving to the US?

Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:03 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you gained weight since moving to the US?

Reasons why I may not have gained weight since moving to the US-

I very rarely eat fast food, less than once a month.

I very rarely eat American bread (and if I find it in my food, I'll not eat it or dismantle a sandwich. The other half is used to seeing this).

I very rarely drink soda (and never drink it at work unlike the people around me).

I make my lunch and bring that to work

I don't like ready meals/prepackaged meals so they're not eaten in my household

I don't order takeout (pizza is pretty much the only choice around here. I make a far better pizza from scratch than any chain or restaurant in the US)

I don't like salad with dressing so if there's salad dressing at home, the other half has to use it. I don't like croutons either so I remove them from salads when I'm dining out

Most cheese in the US is crap so I rarely eat cheese. The exception is anything non-cow (sheep or goat cheese is yummy).
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:17 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Im 6ft 2 so its well spread out ...well maybe a little bit too much starting to spill over the waist band.
Tell me your pants are just above your bollocks and just below your shoulder blades
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:28 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Reasons why I may not have gained weight since moving to the US-

I very rarely eat fast food, less than once a month.

I very rarely eat American bread (and if I find it in my food, I'll not eat it or dismantle a sandwich. The other half is used to seeing this).

I very rarely drink soda (and never drink it at work unlike the people around me).

I make my lunch and bring that to work

I don't like ready meals/prepackaged meals so they're not eaten in my household

I don't order takeout (pizza is pretty much the only choice around here. I make a far better pizza from scratch than any chain or restaurant in the US)

I don't like salad with dressing so if there's salad dressing at home, the other half has to use it. I don't like croutons either so I remove them from salads when I'm dining out

Most cheese in the US is crap so I rarely eat cheese. The exception is anything non-cow (sheep or goat cheese is yummy).

So you're picky.

Yep, that probably has a lot to do with it.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:33 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

When I 1st came here neally 4 years ago I piled it on like 25 pounds luckily once I got over the fast food binge, I lost it really quickly I am now a size 6 and happy with that.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:42 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Have you gained weight since moving to the US?

Originally Posted by krizzy
Funny enough I lose weight when in FL...I just don't eat a lot of the time....

In MA...I'm always eating....
Being in Florida does'nt mean you are going to lose weight. I think there is more temptation to eat here. Due to the heat people head to the nearest Mall or somewhere to get into an air conditioned environment. When you go into a Mall, you are surrounded by cafe's restaurants and other places. The temptation to eat and drink is everywhere.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:49 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Being in Florida does'nt mean you are going to lose weight. I think there is more temptation to eat here. Due to the heat people head to the nearest Mall or somewhere to get into an air conditioned environment. When you go into a Mall, you are surrounded by cafe's restaurants and other places. The temptation to eat and drink is everywhere.

I don't like Mall food ...and when I'm in FL I do tons more walking...I just don't do that up here..mostly because I have allergies to leaf mold...and the Pine pollen...and can't stay outside for that long a lot ..its got really bad this year....so bad we may have to sell up to get a place with no or little garden...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I don't like Mall food ...and when I'm in FL I do tons more walking...I just don't do that up here..mostly because I have allergies to leaf mold...and the Pine pollen...and can't stay outside for that long a lot ..its got really bad this year....so bad we may have to sell up to get a place with no or little garden...
The mall around here has some really good restaurants now, so it's pretty tempting...but I can't be arsed with the mall because it's huge and parking is still a munter.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:18 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

my favourite restaurant in Westborough, MA was Bertucci's.....drool... god! what I wouldn't give for their shrimp n pasta right now....and the pizza was delicious too...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
my favourite restaurant in Westborough, MA was Bertucci's.....drool... god! what I wouldn't give for their shrimp n pasta right now....and the pizza was delicious too...
don't you have a bertucci's nearby? there everywhere around here...well it seems that way at least
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:37 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
don't you have a bertucci's nearby? there everywhere around here...well it seems that way at least
unfortunately we've moved to NC so we don't have Bertucci's here ...

we lived in Westborough, MA and your right! they are on every street corner aren't they...but the food was good...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't vote coz haven't moved out there yet... but after spending a week in Chicago recently (and eating at the Cheesecake Factory every night) I can see why it's so easy to put on weight!
Good job I'm bringing my treadmill with me! I'm gonna be needing it!!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:07 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Can't vote coz haven't moved out there yet... but after spending a week in Chicago recently (and eating at the Cheesecake Factory every night) I can see why it's so easy to put on weight!
Good job I'm bringing my treadmill with me! I'm gonna be needing it!!
Christ! Leave the treadmill! You can get 'em nearly free every week in the classifieds section not to mention there's one at every garage sale. You could probably outfit a whole gym with used equipment for $100 bucks or less!
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 12:51 am
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Christ! Leave the treadmill! You can get 'em nearly free every week in the classifieds section not to mention there's one at every garage sale. You could probably outfit a whole gym with used equipment for $100 bucks or less!
thats true, save yourself $$ shipping it..
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 3:10 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Have you gained weight since you came to the US?

Is the sky blue? Is the Pope Catholic? Do chickens lay eggs? Does Celine Dion sound like an out of tune violin? Do Americans drive the 20 yards to the store rather than walk? Could Van Gogh paint nice pictures? Does Bill Gates have any money? Does the Earth spin round? etc etc etc I could go on for days..
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 3:27 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Sarah
Have you gained weight since you came to the US?

Is the sky blue? Is the Pope Catholic? Do chickens lay eggs? Does Celine Dion sound like an out of tune violin? Do Americans drive the 20 yards to the store rather than walk? Could Van Gogh paint nice pictures? Does Bill Gates have any money? Does the Earth spin round? etc etc etc I could go on for days..
So is that a yes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.