Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

have to ask ...

Wikiposts

have to ask ...

Old Oct 29th 2006, 4:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: have to ask ...

Originally Posted by islandmom
doesnt apply - we're on full ex-pat package, house provided inc all bills, car, flights, medical and dental, post tax salary etc..
Brilliant ..thats a good deal ....
Old Oct 29th 2006, 4:21 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Brilliant ..thats a good deal ....
it is - we're VERY lucky

just funny as he's my OH, pain in the bum, but career wise he seems to be this hotshot....

totally schizophrenic if you ask me!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 4:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

just funny as he's my OH, pain in the bum, but career wise he seems to be this hotshot....
I think we could keep this thread clean .. and keep away from the anal sex angle ...
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

is that not automatic with hubby being relocated by company??
On the L2, you'll be able to get an EAD to allow work, your kids on the other hand won't be allowed...

As for bank, they usually charge for ATM transactions that aren't with them, getting cheques, sometimes for using cheques, for going over drawn, for having a low balance, for basically all sorts, but a lote depends on which type of account you have and with whom...

Mobile phones, depends where you live for which is a good one. T-mobile has probably the best rates if you buy bulk minutes up front, but there's also virgin, cingular, boost, net 10 etc...most of them you have to top up after 30 days and some of them you'll lose unused minutes.

We use tracfone, which ain't to bad, not the lowest of mins, but you don't have to top up often, and it's easy to use, handy as we hardly ever use it...and if you accidently put the phone through the washer, you can transfer the number and minutes to a new phone...which we just happened to have had to do *lol*
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am on my third Expedition...I intend to get another next year. I always go for the Eddie Bauer 'cos I like all the bells and whilstles.
so you'll be looking at selling then?? what you got?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
We use tracfone, which ain't to bad, not the lowest of mins, but you don't have to top up often, and it's easy to use, handy as we hardly ever use it...and if you accidently put the phone through the washer, you can transfer the number and minutes to a new phone...which we just happened to have had to do *lol*

I dropped my cell phone down the toilet. Also dropped the house phone in the sink a couple of weeks ago.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped my cell phone down the toilet. Also dropped the house phone in the sink a couple of weeks ago.
dropping it in the bog ain't so bad, you can rinse it with bottled water, take apart and leave to dry it out by a light and it might fire back up, as long as you removed the battery straight off....going through the washing machine was pushing its luck though *lol*
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

so you'll be looking at selling then?? what you got?
2004...but its not got a DVD player...invaluable if you've got kids.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:49 am

hmmmmmm - fancy driving it down to Miami?? wot colour?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:06 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

you naughty man

fraid they're under sole ownership .... and they were even better before the bloody kids ate them!
A massage, you filthy minded lady
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Thydney
A massage, you filthy minded lady
eeek - you know me already!!
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:06 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Since it'll cost me more than my house payment in Gas, I'll give you $50 for it?
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

ta Ray!

so if we have no US credit rating then how do people buy cars when they get there? .....
What you need is International Autosource - I used them when I first emigrated to the US and they are GREAT! Check out their website .... their main business is supplying cars to US servicemen, so they are totally kosher - and as they are only a broker the actual loan is with the usual manufacturer's finance arm - in my case Ford Motor Credit.

The only snag is that you MUST commit to purchase BEFORE you arrive in the US, once you arrive it is too late. I believe that there is some tax reaosn for this.

In any case I recommend that you check them out. I can personally vouch for them.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Does your laptop not have a transformer as part of its power cable - most come with a transformer I would have thought
Laptops these days typically run 110-240V input without any special transformer. ..... I was in the Uk for the past two weeks, running my US laptop on British mains power with only a plug adapter, i.e. no voltage converter, and it worked perfectly.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
On the L2, you'll be able to get an EAD to allow work, your kids on the other hand won't be allowed...

As for bank, they usually charge for ATM transactions that aren't with them, getting cheques, sometimes for using cheques, for going over drawn, for having a low balance, for basically all sorts, but a lote depends on which type of account you have and with whom...

Mobile phones, depends where you live for which is a good one. T-mobile has probably the best rates if you buy bulk minutes up front, but there's also virgin, cingular, boost, net 10 etc...most of them you have to top up after 30 days and some of them you'll lose unused minutes.

You dont even need the EAD anymore - you can get SSN on the basis of the visa - thanks to Ray for the heads up on that one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.