Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

have any brits who are in their 50's opinions

have any brits who are in their 50's opinions

Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about
Default have any brits who are in their 50's opinions

have any brits who have moved to USA any advise or opinions on how they coped with everything-from the move to getting accepted- and are you happier than in UK and any better off. I havent a clue about health care cost, is it as bad as everyone over here says it is?
We have family in Michigan so thats where we would be heading for . Any help advise of any sort negative or positive would be greatly appreciated. We are trying to get as much info as possible.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: have any brits who are in their 50's opinions

Originally Posted by lyndilou
have any brits who have moved to USA any advise or opinions on how they coped with everything-from the move to getting accepted- and are you happier than in UK and any better off. I havent a clue about health care cost, is it as bad as everyone over here says it is?
We have family in Michigan so thats where we would be heading for . Any help advise of any sort negative or positive would be greatly appreciated. We are trying to get as much info as possible.
I'm not in my 50's but I think the key is are you planning to work? If so then you may be able to get health insurance via your employer and it may not be too bad. I think if you worked for 10 years you could then be covered with Medicare (I think thats the one).

If you are not planning to work then yes it is going to be very expensive and you will not get Medicare.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Longy
I'm not in my 50's but I think the key is are you planning to work? If so then you may be able to get health insurance via your employer and it may not be too bad. I think if you worked for 10 years you could then be covered with Medicare (I think thats the one).

If you are not planning to work then yes it is going to be very expensive and you will not get Medicare.
I would add that I was not far of 50 when I moved, a big diference in my mind between being 50 and 59. Not many people at the latter end are looking for a new jobline etc, and unless you have loads of dosh then that's what you will need to do if for no other reason than getting the 10 years in.

No one situation is comparable, I do no have health issues, thinking on I know a few people my age wo do, USA would not be for them at an age.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Longy

No we werent planning on working as we are both finished work(early retirement with private pensions) but if we lived with our son he has 'family' medical insurance and could add us to that but I sure it would be still expensive enough, just didnt want to put any expense on him though. If we registered for SSnumber is there any time span linked to that for Medicare do you know? thanks for the info
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

No we werent planning on working as we are both finished work(early retirement with private pensions) but if we lived with our son he has 'family' medical insurance and could add us to that but I sure it would be still expensive enough, just didnt want to put any expense on him though. If we registered for SSnumber is there any time span linked to that for Medicare do you know? thanks for the info
You certainly need to find out more information about how his family plan would work, especially as you get older.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicar...ited_States%29 you have to have been a permanant resident for at least 5 years, but I am sure you have to have paid in 40 quarters of SS as well, and this is going to be your problem.

Basically it's a big risk to come and retire here unless you have a crap load of money. If you really want to do it though you seriously need to consider working.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Medicare is based on how many 'quarters' you have worked (3 month periods). You need 40 quarters (10 years). I think there is a scheme in which you can 'buy in' to the Medicare system, but it requires you to be here 5 years after a green card (note: this is just off the top of my head and likely not 100% correct).

The point I'm getting at is Medicare is not really an option. Your son can add you as a dependent parent, but that will also (likely) require you to have a green card (or make it less expensive if you have a green card). This will be a bit expensive though (guess--$500 more a month--just a guess).

It's going to be rough. There are some threads on other boards if you search google for "green card medicare" or something. Expect some anti-immigrant jerks on some of those boards though

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/...d.php?t=180886
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Is your son a US citizen?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Is your son a US citizen?
hi there not yet he is PLR and married to an American citizen he is in the process of form filing at the moment so we have a way to go yet? He has been over there 8 years+ now and married 6years +
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:00 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

get your son to get quotes for the updated family plan before you decide. It could hike his insurance multiple times adding two 'older' people especially if they have had ANY medical issues in the past - even something small like asthma or hayfever can be penalised.

I read an article on health insurance in one of the recent comsumer reports magazines (the US equivalent to WHICH!) which was about the health insurance issues over here. It was truly scary and has made me very cautious about what we may do here in the US in future years (we are in late 30's now but planning on staying). I am trying to get my husband to agree to keep the house in the uk as a kind of 'pension fund'. We currently rent it out but my husband is keen to sell it and move the value to the US. Id rather keep the investment so if we need money to fund our retirement we can still do that. I would hate to have to return to the uk (leaving our kids settled in the us) purely because we could not afford to pay the healthcare costs. (im very healthy but my husband has minor asthma and hayfever so could get penalised).
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

So if he is looking at Ciizenship a reasonable assumption would be 2 to 2.5 years before you could move.

Parents moing in with children, well that can be a strain.

Family Medical Insurance? Could mean many things, never personally come across a Company one that allows Parents to be added, there was a mention on another board that somebody had one, most Company schemes are limiting who can be included and who knows what the situation will be in a few years time.

If you are moving in, then it does not sound that you have the cash to ignore the Health issue, so you need a plan. Many people in those circumstances would be looking to go the other way.

I have often thought that there should be a way of maintaing US Residency and UK Residency, getting the best out of both. Never got around to working it through.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm dubious that family medical insurance would cover one's parents - I have never heard of that being the case. So aside from the Medicare (65+) eligibility issue, you have the problem of finding coverage until then if your son's insurance doesn't cover you. This is a large obstacle, unless you are pretty well heeled and can afford to cover most of your health costs for the next 10+ years or can spring for insurance payments, which for individual coverage of two people over 50 even in good health, will also cost $$$s.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

http://www.aarp.org/issues/dividedwefail/
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm dubious that family medical insurance would cover one's parents - I have never heard of that being the case.
Me neither. "Family" in the insurance biz typically means spouse and children. I would be very surprised if parents could be added to the son's policy.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:26 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Me neither. "Family" in the insurance biz typically means spouse and children. I would be very surprised if parents could be added to the son's policy.
Family does mean family (spouse, kids) but if you ask, you can get a 'dependent parent' rider attached with many policies, for quite a fee. Still, cheaper then them going out on their own and doing it for themselves.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If the son is self-employed and has a business medical plan, he could conceivably add his parents to that plan by "hiring" them for the company.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm dubious that family medical insurance would cover one's parents - I have never heard of that being the case. So aside from the Medicare (65+) eligibility issue, you have the problem of finding coverage until then if your son's insurance doesn't cover you. This is a large obstacle, unless you are pretty well heeled and can afford to cover most of your health costs for the next 10+ years or can spring for insurance payments, which for individual coverage of two people over 50 even in good health, will also cost $$$s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.