Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed the question inflection?

Has anyone noticed the question inflection?

Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:26 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice
Default Has anyone noticed the question inflection?

By question inflection I am of course referring to the way Americans make statements as though they are questions for example;

I went to the mall today? and I saw this really cute sweater that was like half off? but I didn't get it because I didn't think it was really my colour?

(In case you are wondering I am quoting a co-worker who I am about ready to throttle!)

Speak properly damn you!!!! Can anyone shed any light on why Americans do this? Its supremely irritating.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:33 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone noticed the question inflection?

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
By question inflection I am of course referring to the way Americans make statements as though they are questions for example;

I went to the mall today? and I saw this really cute sweater that was like half off? but I didn't get it because I didn't think it was really my colour?

(In case you are wondering I am quoting a co-worker who I am about ready to throttle!)

Speak properly damn you!!!! Can anyone shed any light on why Americans do this? Its supremely irritating.
no idea, but my friends in the UK castigated me when I went back for having picked up this trait

this inflection is also present in the french language i believe
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that an Australian thing too? I seem to remember reading an article about how Neighbours had made us all speak as if everything was a question? I think I did?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:41 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
no idea, but my friends in the UK castigated me when I went back for having picked up this trait

this inflection is also present in the french language i believe
BritGuy how dare you! You should be ashamed of yourself!

I just think it sounds so airhead-ish especially when women do it, my blood pressure rises at least 5 points every time I hear it...
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Always21
Isn't that an Australian thing too? I seem to remember reading an article about how Neighbours had made us all speak as if everything was a question? I think I did?
Ah yes Neighbours! what a treat that used to be.

Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:57 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you must have omitted a few "like, you know"'s and "ohmigawd"'s that were included in that scintillating discussion of yours. Totally.

(By the way, this lilting voice bit is largely a female phenomenon. I'm, like, too busy drinking Bud to, like, talk like that. You know?)
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

perhaps we brits just speak in a boring monotone?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Surely you must have omitted a few ... "ohmigawd"'s
Don't ya mean "OgmiGOSH"?

Never quite figured out why they say that. Is it something to do with these "mustn't take the Lord's name in vain" preoccupation?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Surely you must have omitted a few "like, you know"'s and "ohmigawd"'s that were included in that scintillating discussion of yours. Totally.

(By the way, this lilting voice bit is largely a female phenomenon. I'm, like, too busy drinking Bud to, like, talk like that. You know?)
That is so true?! I mean like it is so like totally kewl to speak that way?

Stick to your bud mate, at least you won't get smacked in the balls by people like me.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvira

Never quite figured out why they say that. Is it something to do with these "mustn't take the Lord's name in vain" preoccupation?
Yes I believe that is exactly why, which is why I enjoy exclaiming 'oh my GOD!!!!!!! in front of such self righteous ponces. If you're going to swear do it properly for GOD'S sake.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

This is like a totally awesome thread dude.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:18 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

it, like, totally depends on like, where you, like, are. here in california, it's not like so important, you know, like we are totally kewl and like we talk how we want to, but like in kansas or like englund, they're like totally different. u know???

(Feel free to start pulling your eardrums out of your skull after that one. For one, I already have my icepick in hand and have begun digging...)
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I believe that is exactly why, which is why I enjoy exclaiming 'oh my GOD!!!!!!! in front of such self righteous ponces. If you're going to swear do it properly for GOD'S sake.

Once I was nearly hung drawn + quartered on some US forum when I dared to respond to some cretin with "Jesus!"
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:23 pm
Banned

Once I was nearly hung drawn + quartered on some US forum when I dared to respond to some cretin with "Jesus!"
Well I do hope you said 'CHRIST ALMIGHTY, don't get your panties in a bunch!' in response.

Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:33 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone shed any light on why Americans do this? Its supremely irritating.
I've been here for 9 years and never noticed it...maybe it's a PA thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.