Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed...

Has anyone noticed...

Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone noticed...

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
And already covered in fried breadcrumbs right out of the egg.

On the subject of lamb...once again Publix sells Aussie leg of lamb. Its damned expensive but worth it. We have a nice lamb roast once a month and I occaisionally knock up a lamb rogan josh.
I get New Zealand boneless leg of lamb from Sam's Club and it's not too expensive. We had a roast lamb dinner with English mint sauce on Sunday and I made a lamb biryani with the left over lamb on Monday. Mmmm...
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandpete
I get New Zealand boneless leg of lamb from Sam's Club and it's not too expensive. We had a roast lamb dinner with English mint sauce on Sunday and I made a lamb biryani with the left over lamb on Monday. Mmmm...

Your place for Sunday Dinner next week then? Sounds delicious!

We do like to have our Sunday Roast every week (even if its not always on a sunday what with work) much to the amusement of our American friends.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:39 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I occaisionally knock up a lamb rogan josh.
You're friggin' sick!!! Who's Josh anyway?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Partystar
You're friggin' sick!!! Who's Josh anyway?
Oh just an aquaintance.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:52 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Krogers stock HP Sauce too, along with real Heinz Baked Beans.
Hehe! Time for those of us in DFW/Plano to gloat, eh Syllk?!

Between Kroger, Central Market and Wholefoods we can not only buy everything British we would otherwise miss (I'm eating a family-size box of Maltesers right now) including "real" baked beans (complete with UK competitions on the labels), British chocolate imported via Saudi Arabia for some strange reason, Tilda basmati rice (a great find, if you ask me) and Chocolate Hobnobs (they last 10 minutes). We can also get most British bottled beers, real bacon and bangers (at Central Market) and better bread than in the UK (Central Market or Wholefoods). I'm pretty sure we eat better here than we ever did in the UK, but then most of that's due to my wonderful wife's cooking
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:00 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Between Kroger, Central Market and Wholefoods we can not only buy everything British we would otherwise miss (I'm eating a family-size box of Maltesers right now) including "real" baked beans (complete with UK competitions on the labels), British chocolate imported via Saudi Arabia for some strange reason, Tilda basmati rice (a great find, if you ask me) and Chocolate Hobnobs (they last 10 minutes). We can also get most British bottled beers, real bacon and bangers (at Central Market) and better bread than in the UK (Central Market or Wholefoods). I'm pretty sure we eat better here than we ever did in the UK, but then most of that's due to my wonderful wife's cooking
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:30 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Can you do me a favour and ask her if she cooks rice pudding and if she does, what rice she uses? I can't find pudding rice anywhere over here (or at least, not by that name. It's probably called something different.)
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:35 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Can you do me a favour and ask her if she cooks rice pudding and if she does, what rice she uses? I can't find pudding rice anywhere over here (or at least, not by that name. It's probably called something different.)
you can find rice pudding in any grocery store , including Walmart...it's in the refrigerated section..in a tub next to the cottage cheese etc...it's good..or at least I wolf it down in one sitting
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:37 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
you can find rice pudding in any grocery store , including Walmart...it's in the refrigerated section..in a tub next to the cottage cheese etc...it's good..or at least I wolf it down in one sitting
Noooooo! I want to actually cook it myself.

I understand that this is a difficult concept in the land of frozen meals and packet mixes
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:29 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Short grain rice.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:30 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
One big thing I've noticed they dont sell in the US is squash drinks, as in Robinsons orange or lemon squash. I guess thats why so many kids drink soda. Also at my supermarket which is the size of a good size sainsburys in the UK, you cant buy a whole fresh chicken, you can only buy packs of wings, or legs or breasts. Its also impossible to find Lamb, most of my US friends have never tasted it and think the thought of eating it weird.
I have converted some American friends to lamb. I have the recipe that'll do it. Lamb shanks make great fall food.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:33 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Short grain rice.

NC Penguin
Is that the same as arborio? What about risotto rice? I'm in a rice-induced confused state right now.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 11:14 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Where? They don't at the moon township or robinson one!

I'm not salivating honest...
In case I didn't mention previously (just revisiting old posts) the Cranberry and Northern Lights in Baden Giant Eagles and the Cranberry Shop N Save all have international aisles.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Publix also have a reasonable Brit selection for items like Baked Beans, HP Sauces, Robinsons juices, Treacle Sponge Pud and Cadburys choccies etc.

Infact I have just had Heinz Beans on Toast with a nice cup of Kenco Columbian on the side....ah happy happy.
Where did you get the Kenco? We always get my MIL to bring it over on her twice yearly jaunts or my daughter mails it if we're desperate. I actually don't drink it as much, conserve it for my husband who gets up very early and wants a good cup of coffee before he goes off to work. Just wondering if you found someplace (grocery store) that you could buy it here.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Where did you get the Kenco? We always get my MIL to bring it over on her twice yearly jaunts or my daughter mails it if we're desperate. I actually don't drink it as much, conserve it for my husband who gets up very early and wants a good cup of coffee before he goes off to work. Just wondering if you found someplace (grocery store) that you could buy it here.
I wish. A friend brought us a stash of jars last month when they came over...sadly Ive not found it here yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.