Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone imported a auto to the USA

Has anyone imported a auto to the USA

Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice
Default Has anyone imported a auto to the USA

Hi there,
We are moving back to the USA in August. Hubby is British and I am American. I have been reading up on importing a car as we have to mini's that we want to bring. They are both over 25 years only, so they don't have to have the special emmissions etc. Everything I read keeps contradicting itself. Is there a charge for bringing the cars in for personal usa? One paragraph says no and another yes. Do we have to be at the port when the cars arrive? One place says the cars have to be staemed cleaned with certificates, another says the undercarriage has to be cleaned with no foreign soil on it but does not mention a certificate assuming we could do it ourselves. Anyone that has a car imported to the USA PLEASE HELP. Thanks very much. By the way hubby has pr so is he not allowed out of the USA for more than six months at a time
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone imported a auto to the USA

Originally Posted by MHolkham
Hi there,
We are moving back to the USA in August. Hubby is British and I am American. I have been reading up on importing a car as we have to mini's that we want to bring. They are both over 25 years only, so they don't have to have the special emmissions etc. Everything I read keeps contradicting itself. Is there a charge for bringing the cars in for personal usa? One paragraph says no and another yes. Do we have to be at the port when the cars arrive? One place says the cars have to be staemed cleaned with certificates, another says the undercarriage has to be cleaned with no foreign soil on it but does not mention a certificate assuming we could do it ourselves. Anyone that has a car imported to the USA PLEASE HELP. Thanks very much. By the way hubby has pr so is he not allowed out of the USA for more than six months at a time
We brought a car over with us had to have it professionally cleaned all over, no we didn't have to be there when it arrived they called us to pick it up.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice
Default Re: Has anyone imported a auto to the USA

Originally Posted by lolly
We brought a car over with us had to have it professionally cleaned all over, no we didn't have to be there when it arrived they called us to pick it up.
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that our car will be in a container with our household goods. The moving comp[any will then transport our container to our house. Anyone else with any ideas? Thank You