British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Has America become better or worse since you came? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/has-america-become-better-worse-since-you-came-385390/)

jobyone1 Jul 18th 2006 2:47 am

Re: Has America become better or worse since you came?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Do you mean the fanny stretching? ....probably :D

I would imagine most people would be upset at fanny stretching.... or not :rolleyes:

TruBrit Jul 18th 2006 12:45 pm

ohhhh congrats jersey...not trying to keep the good news from me were you :p :D

ironporer Jul 18th 2006 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
I helped manage a business in Orlando that employed a lot of hispanics and Americans. Why be a prick?

I think that maybe I came across racist in the post. I do not dislike hispanic people, but I am under the impression that they refuse to integrate into society by not learning to speak the english language. Why is it so bad to want to live in an area where there aren't many hispanics???

I have usually found that most hispanics do integrate, but usually not until the 2nd generation- which is understandable I suppose with the language and cultural differences. I know it was the same with Irish, Polish, and Italian immigrants historically.
Usually by the 3rd generation, the only Spanish the grandkids know is Cinco de Mayo, not unlike my father and uncles- the grandsons of Polish/German immigrants.

Jerseygirl Jul 18th 2006 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
ohhhh congrats jersey...not trying to keep the good news from me were you :p :D

:o

TruBrit Jul 18th 2006 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
:o

:p

TouristTrap Jul 18th 2006 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by jobyone1
I would imagine most people would be upset at fanny stretching.... or not :rolleyes:

Are we talking English or American fanny, then?

lee_in_nj Jul 18th 2006 1:46 pm

For those of you who have lived here longer than just a year or two, do you think America is getting better or worse as a place to live? I can say that since I moved to Orlando in 92, its got a lot worse. Crime here has gotten much prevalent, and in general the place has become smellier and dirtier. There are so many hispanics now, its like basically living in Mexico, or at least Miami. I'm in Orlando right now, but I plan to move elsewhere as soon as possible. Maybe back to England yet again.

Personally i think its being ruined by all the Immigrants. Shame really.

jobyone1 Jul 18th 2006 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Are we talking English or American fanny, then?

English I believe.... don't get to reference it that often.. (as fanny I mean) :eek:

TruBrit Jul 18th 2006 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by jobyone1
English I believe.... don't get to reference it that often.. (as fanny I mean) :eek:

lol only time i've heard fanny used here is in reference to a fanny pack :p

snowbunny Jul 18th 2006 2:17 pm

Have you heard the lovely rap ditty about a fanny pack? :eek:

Angry White Pyjamas Jul 18th 2006 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Rob B
Cops in the UK always seem more interested in standing at the side of the road clocking people for doing 32mph. They are increasing the number of cops on the street in the worse areas due to heavy public protest, but many areas are still neglected. Someone down my street had her front door and fences smashed down by some young drunken thugs and she phoned the cops whilst they were in the act, they did another house on the same night, and the cops didn't turn up until 3 hours after the event which makes you feel really safe.

This 'chav culture' is able to thrive freely because the lack of police presence on the streets. Yet, if you go 33mph in a 30 zone you have a ticket in the post within 2 days.

Its true you know....police in the UK ONLY catch speeding motorists...oh how I long for those heady days of doing nothing but sitting by the side of the road with a Pro-lazer nicking innocent motorists, not a care in the world...just me, my books of tickets and a bag of donuts. How we laughed when people rang us up with "real" crime...Ha! Dont bother us madam with your pathetic burglaries...we have speeders to catch!!!

ironporer Jul 18th 2006 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj

I imagine that the Apache and the Sioux thought the same thing. :rolleyes:

kingfisher241049 Jul 18th 2006 2:44 pm

For those of you who have lived here longer than just a year or two, do you think America is getting better or worse as a place to live? I can say that since I moved to Orlando in 92, its got a lot worse. Crime here has gotten much prevalent, and in general the place has become smellier and dirtier. There are so many hispanics now, its like basically living in Mexico, or at least Miami. I'm in Orlando right now, but I plan to move elsewhere as soon as possible. Maybe back to England yet again.

Where we live is very quiet, very little crime, and we have great neighbours who we can call upon if we need help. Life is good here and we are very happy.

We were in Orlando and Kissimee a week ago, its an OK place to visit, but we would'nt want to live their.

:)

Angry White Pyjamas Jul 18th 2006 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Where we live is very quiet, very little crime, and we have great neighbours who we can call upon if we need help. Life is good here and we are very happy.

We were in Orlando and Kissimee a week ago, its an OK place to visit, but we would'nt want to live their.

:)

But then where you live is run by people in white shirts and black trousers.

Rompers Jul 18th 2006 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj

I still PMSL at ex-pats bitching about all the immigrants :D