British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Has America become better or worse since you came? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/has-america-become-better-worse-since-you-came-385390/)

asdasd12345 Jul 17th 2006 5:30 pm

Has America become better or worse since you came?

For those of you who have lived here longer than just a year or two, do you think America is getting better or worse as a place to live? I can say that since I moved to Orlando in 92, its got a lot worse. Crime here has gotten much prevalent, and in general the place has become smellier and dirtier. There are so many hispanics now, its like basically living in Mexico, or at least Miami. I'm in Orlando right now, but I plan to move elsewhere as soon as possible. Maybe back to England yet again.

Dan725 Jul 17th 2006 5:33 pm

Re: Has America become better or worse since you came?

So you think the UK will be better?

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2006 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
For those of you who have lived here longer than just a year or two, do you think America is getting better or worse as a place to live? I can say that since I moved to Orlando in 92, its got a lot worse. Crime here has gotten much prevalent, and in general the place has become smellier and dirtier. There are so many hispanics now, its like basically living in Mexico, or at least Miami. I'm in Orlando right now, but I plan to move elsewhere as soon as possible. Maybe back to England yet again.

In my little village there is zero crime and one family that is not Caucasian...not really a good example of life in America 2006.

asdasd12345 Jul 17th 2006 5:40 pm

So you think the UK will be better?
No, not really. I'm thinking of moving to Canada perhaps. Maybe its just me, but lately Ive been looking around here (Orlando) and just thinking to myself, I'm done with it here. We went to North Carolina to look around the other month and its nice there. But we will see I think.

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2006 5:43 pm

No, not really. I'm thinking of moving to Canada perhaps. Maybe its just me, but lately Ive been looking around here (Orlando) and just thinking to myself, I'm done with it here. We went to North Carolina to look around the other month and its nice there. But we will see I think.

There are some very nice areas in the US, with little crime and few immigrants but they usually come at a price. Whoops I'm an immigrant aren't I? :rolleyes:

Dan725 Jul 17th 2006 5:45 pm

I think you might find that everywhere changes in time. Crime is up in most western countries as far as I can tell, and immigration problems are also widespread. I can quite see how you are most likely done with Orlando though, I avoid that place like the plague!

Same sh1t, different place - I think thats how I have come to view the world, after much hopping around.

BTW Asdad, in your other thread you say you are on a Visa waiver and have to go back? So how can you stay here? Unless I'm missing something.

Sarah Jul 17th 2006 6:17 pm

If you want to live somewhere predominantly white, going back to the UK isn't going to be your best bet, as you could just replace the words of your OP with the words "There are so many muslims/asylum seekers/Chinese/Polish in the UK now."

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2006 6:23 pm

Definitely worse since I arrived.

Sarah Jul 17th 2006 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

Do the words George W. and Bush have anything to do with it you think? :D

peacelover Jul 17th 2006 6:25 pm

You stole the very words I was about to type Gruff! :D

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2006 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
Do the words George W. and Bush have anything to do with it you think? :D

I've nothing to add to my statement :D

anotherlimey Jul 17th 2006 6:30 pm

That must be terrible for you.....

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2006 6:32 pm

I bet you can get your grass cut cheaply though.

Hayley Jul 17th 2006 6:36 pm

defo think things have gotten worse- perhaps this is the honeymoon phase ending? I guess I'm also less tolerant as I thought that 4 years on I would have more friends and social life than I do.

The ways it has got worse are to do with Bush, he is to blame for everything!! :D Seriously though the rising cost of my health insurance (My hubbie is one of the uninsured) and the fact that the 2004 election bought all the bible bashing to the forefront and discovered that friends I had thought that divorced people go to hell (maybe this is why no-one talks politics)

That's why I'm off to Blighty!!

britvic Jul 17th 2006 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
If you want to live somewhere predominantly white, going back to the UK isn't going to be your best bet, as you could just replace the words of your OP with the words "There are so many muslims/asylum seekers/Chinese/Polish in the UK now."

Yes there are, but there is still place's where they have not taken over, just cost alot more to live in, but thats the same over here.

britvic Jul 17th 2006 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Hayley
defo think things have gotten worse- perhaps this is the honeymoon phase ending? I guess I'm also less tolerant as I thought that 4 years on I would have more friends and social life than I do.

The ways it has got worse are to do with Bush, he is to blame for everything!! :D Seriously though the rising cost of my health insurance (My hubbie is one of the uninsured) and the fact that the 2004 election bought all the bible bashing to the forefront and discovered that friends I had thought that divorced people go to hell (maybe this is why no-one talks politics)

That's why I'm off to Blighty!!

This is me talking :D must have a split personalty, 4 year's also, and making plan's for return home.

Celsius Jul 17th 2006 8:18 pm

My part of the US has become better since I move here. I think my presence helps! :D

ironporer Jul 17th 2006 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In my little village there is zero crime and one family that is not Caucasian...not really a good example of life in America 2006.

Hmmm....said almost like having 'non-caucasians' is a bad thing.

Celsius Jul 17th 2006 8:32 pm

So what have you contributed to the US since you came to the US? :rolleyes:

Manc Jul 17th 2006 8:32 pm

Detroit Tigers are the best team in baseball........USA is way better now.

Sarah Jul 17th 2006 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer

The college town where I live is so frickin white bread and cookie cutter its scary. Towns that are all caucasian remind of Stepford.
Bland, dull, robotic etc.

Skint Jul 17th 2006 8:36 pm

No doubt that the US has become a "worse place" generally, and this is almost entirely down to President Asshat and his policies of 'fear' linked to his media manipulation and generally ignorant stupidity.

Worry about healthcare has got a million % worse too. Costs, out of pockets and premiums just rocketing with no apparent justification

We actually moved from somewhere that was almost entirely 'white redneck' (where neighbours used the 'n' word for the one family that wasn't) to somewhere that was supposed to be equally 'conservative' (which we are not) but turned out to be wonderfully cosmopolitan. We can spend time on equal footing with 'equals' and not have to be frightened about mouthing off about the whole right-wing/religious bullshit

I guess the trick to try and make the most of wherever you live, and if it doesn't suit - for whatever reason - you find somewhere else. Hey, it's a biiiiiiiig country.

ironporer Jul 17th 2006 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
Detroit Tigers are the best team in baseball........USA is way better now.

Especially considering that just 2 years ago they set the record for the worst team ever in baseball history (American league anyway).

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2006 8:45 pm

Especially considering that just 2 years ago they set the record for the worst team ever in baseball history (American league anyway).

And the National League would be??????? Drum Roll please........ :rolleyes:

ironporer Jul 17th 2006 8:48 pm

And the National League would be??????? Drum Roll please........ :rolleyes:

62 Mets... or this years Cubs- the way they're going.

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2006 8:51 pm

No just simply stating a fact.

anotherlimey Jul 17th 2006 8:53 pm

No just simply stating a fact.

and what "fact" is that?

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2006 8:54 pm

62 Mets... or this years Cubs- the way they're going.

Go Cubbies :D We have a major post mortem in our house after every game, it's never pretty.

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2006 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
and what "fact" is that?

See my post #3. It is on record at my local town hall.

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2006 8:58 pm

That was quick, haven't they got anything to do today?

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2006 9:00 pm

That was quick, haven't they got anything to do today?

I'm just not getting your posts today Gruff.....I think I have sun stroke. :eek:

anotherlimey Jul 17th 2006 9:00 pm

More likely to be a coincidence than anything else though.

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2006 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
More likely to be a coincidence than anything else though.

What is?

ironporer Jul 17th 2006 9:02 pm

Go Cubbies :D We have a major post mortem in our house after every game, it's never pretty.

Yeah...it's not every team that can give up a lead by giving up 11 runs in 1/2 inning (that lasted 47 minutes)- throwing over 70 pitches.

OK...all Cubbies fans repeat after me:

Well, there's always next year.

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2006 9:02 pm

I'm just not getting your posts today Gruff.....I think I have sun stroke. :eek:

If I have to explain it, it's not funny :o

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2006 9:03 pm

If I have to explain it, it's not funny :o

Sorry...its the sun. :o

gruffbrown Jul 17th 2006 9:03 pm

Yeah...it's not every team that can give up a lead by giving up 11 runs in 1/2 inning (that lasted 47 minutes)- throwing over 70 pitches.

OK...all Cubbies fans repeat after me:

Well, there's always next year.

The Mantra in our house is always:
This is the year.
They've been saying it since 1923 (?)

Manc Jul 17th 2006 9:04 pm

it's amazing.........the town couldn't give a shit about the hapless lions or the Pistons.........

Bonderman and Moroth whom were 20 game losing pitchers a few years ago are still in the team too, so it isn't a complete clean slate either.

gardnma Jul 17th 2006 9:04 pm

First job here - No cost for Health ins. Last job was 400/mo.
Prices seem to have risen out of proportion with wages.
There's better beer choices here now and avail of UK stuff.
People seem to have stopped wearing hats.
Sorry, thats cats.

anotherlimey Jul 17th 2006 9:07 pm

What is?

This:

A coincidence rather than anything else...