Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hairdressers...

Hairdressers...

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hairdressers...

OK ladies! (and men too if you're interested )

What do you think about the hairdressers over here compared to home? I was kinda worried about that when I first came over cos I'd went to the same lady forever, and didnt get my hair cut for about 8 months, and finally got so fed up with it that I went to a salon in Walmart of all places, and just got a trim, and it was awful - they used some kind of thinning shear that I had never had before that just made it all straggly and I had to get my best friend to cut it for me...

Anyways, my point (there is one somewhere!) is - tonight I went to some fancy place to get highlights, got some arrogant sod who wasn't happy that I told him I wanted subtle, instead of the "Stripes" he referred to! Anyways, I left that place looking exacty the same as when I went in... did I open my mouth, say a word? Nooooooo, I just paid and left. After the heart attack when they said "How much of a tip would you like to add to the $125"... Tip my ass. I said no thank you, got the evil eye and walked out. Course I should have just said can they do it again please

How much are you supposed to tip a hairdresser anyways?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:41 am
ImHere

Default Re: Hairdressers...

I use supercuts: $12 for a pretty reasonable chop. And I tip $2. But then im a bloke so dunno if you laides would use a Supercuts type place

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Errr...out in casco, there was a great hair dresser, but way to far to go out...first place in town I tried was utter shite...but this new place I go to is really good, $15 for a cut, and they don't take tips, if you want to tip, they say give it next door to the charity shop, which is nice.
But it was a bit of an effort getting the grade 1, as the shears have different gradients, but got it right in the end...and as least this person knows how to do a natural line at the back rather than the naff standard squared edge that a lot of people have in this state...
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:56 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

In nearly three years I've been in the US, I'm now on fourth hairdresser.

The very first was in one of those hoity toity salons and the person who cut my hair was the owner so I thought he should be able to do a good job. Should've trusted my instinct. I was rather underwhelmed and disappointed. Don't think I tipped on that occasion due to the outcome (it wasn't so bad that I had to wear a scarf).

I saw the second hairdresser for maybe a year and I tipped her 15% if she did a good job. I stopped going to her when I realized she let her more regular clients jump the queue ahead of me even though I had an appointment and turned up on time.

The current hairdresser is a gem of a find. She was a personal recommendation from a coworker, who like me, has "difficult" hair. Lori works from home (legally) and is a complete pro, friendly and quick. She only charges $20 which is very reasonable and I tip her about $5 each time I visit.

She's cut my hair so well that news of her prices and cutting has spread through my office and I think at least five other coworkers go to her, some of them now regular customers.

It's a far cry from my hairdresser back in the UK that cost the equivalent of $70 for a wash, cut and blow dry. The whole experience did inc. a head and shoulder massage each time.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:12 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
I use supercuts: $12 for a pretty reasonable chop. And I tip $2. But then im a bloke so dunno if you laides would use a Supercuts type place

Fantastic Sams - 9.99 if you remember to cut the coupon, otherwise 11.99 - every tenth cut free if you remember to get the card stamped. I tip $2 if they get my joke about Elvis being dead when they ask whether or not to cut the sideburns, a solitary buck if they are not capable of this. Cheap b*st*rd, eh?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:19 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Fantastic Sams - 9.99 if you remember to cut the coupon, otherwise 11.99 - every tenth cut free if you remember to get the card stamped. I tip $2 if they get my joke about Elvis being dead when they ask whether or not to cut the sideburns, a solitary buck if they are not capable of this. Cheap b*st*rd, eh?

Sweet. Ill give them a blast. I too am a cheap bastard and generally object to having to pay for something I didnt want in the first place.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:27 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
OK ladies! (and men too if you're interested )

What do you think about the hairdressers over here compared to home? I was kinda worried about that when I first came over cos I'd went to the same lady forever, and didnt get my hair cut for about 8 months, and finally got so fed up with it that I went to a salon in Walmart of all places, and just got a trim, and it was awful - they used some kind of thinning shear that I had never had before that just made it all straggly and I had to get my best friend to cut it for me...

Anyways, my point (there is one somewhere!) is - tonight I went to some fancy place to get highlights, got some arrogant sod who wasn't happy that I told him I wanted subtle, instead of the "Stripes" he referred to! Anyways, I left that place looking exacty the same as when I went in... did I open my mouth, say a word? Nooooooo, I just paid and left. After the heart attack when they said "How much of a tip would you like to add to the $125"... Tip my ass. I said no thank you, got the evil eye and walked out. Course I should have just said can they do it again please

How much are you supposed to tip a hairdresser anyways?
I've always found word of mouth is a good way to find a hairdresser. If I see someone whose haircut I like, I'll ask them where they got their hair done. The hairdresser I go to charges $26 for a haircut and I give a 20% tip (I believe 15-20% is the norm for a tip, but someone correct me if I'm wrong). Hubby takes our two girls (ages 5 and 2) to his barber for trims and the barber doesn't charge a thing (though hubby gives the barber a big tip). On another note, I've always wondered why it's so much cheaper for a man to have his hair cut than it is for a woman
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neathborn
... On another note, I've always wondered why it's so much cheaper for a man to have his hair cut than it is for a woman
less hair and faffing about I expect...but having said that, my last hair cut took about 40 odd mins
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:41 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Bob
less hair and faffing about I expect...but having said that, my last hair cut took about 40 odd mins

NO. We just are not stooopid enough to pay someone $100 to remove something that will grow back in a couple of weeks.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:07 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neathborn
I've always found word of mouth is a good way to find a hairdresser. If I see someone whose haircut I like, I'll ask them where they got their hair done.
That's how I always find my ones too. My current one is great. She doesn't chat excessively (pet peeve in a hairdresser) does a good job and only charges $65 for a cut and blow dry.

I always tip 20% over here and then give a "Christmas bonus" to local people like the chicks in Dunkin Donuts who sort out my lattes every morning and of course, my hairdresser.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:33 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I go to Fantastic Sams too - found me a great stylist there though when she goes in with the hairdryer she makes me look about 40!

Costs me $15 for a wash, cut 'n' blowdry. My standard tip is a fiver, regardless of whether I've had hi-lights, colouring done or nothing more than a haircut.

They're a great bunch in there and keep asking me to bring my son in but I tell them that if I was to do that then they'd never get any work done!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
I go to Fantastic Sams too - found me a great stylist there though when she goes in with the hairdryer she makes me look about 40!

Costs me $15 for a wash, cut 'n' blowdry. My standard tip is a fiver, regardless of whether I've had hi-lights, colouring done or nothing more than a haircut.

They're a great bunch in there and keep asking me to bring my son in but I tell them that if I was to do that then they'd never get any work done!
i wish a hairdresser could make me look 40,bonus
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:17 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I go to an Aveda salon and pay $35 for a wash, cut and blow dry which includes a 10 min pre wash head, neck and shoulder massage. They also give you a smock to change into, and you take your shoes off and wear fluffy slippers. It's absolute bliss and she does a great job. I always tip 20% cos I walk out feeling on cloud nine.

This compares to Worthingtons where I used to get my hair cut and pay around $150 in London for the same service minus the fluffy slippers
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Traditional Barbers on Main Street, red and white pole etc

$13, $2 tip

They have airline, I guess they have a compressor somewhere, so you get a quick blast to clear the bits behind the collar, very effective.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler

They have airline, I guess they have a compressor somewhere, so you get a quick blast to clear the bits behind the collar, very effective.
the local has a vacuum cleaner thingy that they pull out from beside the sinks...shame the haircuts were so bad...all they do is crew-cuts and bowler hair do's...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.