British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   H4 visa.. can you help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/h4-visa-can-you-help-718214/)

laety May 24th 2011 7:44 am

H4 visa.. can you help?

Hi everyone
My husband and I are relocating to south California (Newport beach area) beginning of October and I’ll have a H4 visa to accompany him. I was wondering if any of you have such a visa and if so, what do you do during the day/week?
It might sound like a silly question but I have always been working and as I won’t be allowed to, I am quite worried about this.. We have no children so children activity won’t be of too much help :)
Any suggestions?
Thank you very much for your help!
Laety

lisa67 May 24th 2011 11:30 am

Re: H4 visa.. can you help?

Originally Posted by laety (Post 9384005)
Hi everyone
My husband and I are relocating to south California (Newport beach area) beginning of October and I’ll have a H4 visa to accompany him. I was wondering if any of you have such a visa and if so, what do you do during the day/week?
It might sound like a silly question but I have always been working and as I won’t be allowed to, I am quite worried about this.. We have no children so children activity won’t be of too much help :)
Any suggestions?
Thank you very much for your help!
Laety

I was on the dreaded H4 for a numb of years too :(
If you want to do some volunteer work it has to be "proper" volunteer work ie. Something that no one else would get paid for. Try looking at www.volunteermatch.org
Don't know what your interests are but there's usually book clubs etc. In most cities.
Try www.meetup.com :)

Brat1 May 24th 2011 11:55 am

I am currently on the dreaded H4!! I too, have worked all my life (I'm 42 this year) and I'm going to be honest with you, it's not been an easy transition. It wasn't too bad at the start, but during the winter I found it really quite hard. On the positive, the summer is right around the corner hopefully, so my days will be full of pool time and cocktails :D

Seriously, this is the only way we could make the move to the US and I feel blessed that I've been given the opportunity, so you make the most of it. I'm going to wait until the Summer is over this year, and seriously look in to doing some volunteer work. Our local hospital and Fire Department are crying out for Volunteers so that's the way I'm going to go.

Good luck with the move, don't know anything about the area you're moving to or what your interests are, but I'm sure you would be able to find some kind of activity to fill your day. :)

laety May 24th 2011 12:26 pm

Thank you both
yes indeed I am dreading it.. im thinking about taking up a course too but volunteering seem definitely a way forward!
Trouble is we are moving beg of October (so wont see the summer :( ) and my husband will be travelling a lot so it is very worrying for me..
At least its a nice area, (newport beach) it could have been much much worse I guess :D

rallybug May 24th 2011 12:52 pm

According to weather.com, average temps for Newport Beach in October run between 15 and 22 centigrade, but compared to the probable temps you'll be leaving as you get on the plane,they're still pretty good :lol:

laety May 24th 2011 1:09 pm

im sure ill cope with that :D

Brat1 May 24th 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by laety (Post 9384410)
Thank you both
yes indeed I am dreading it.. im thinking about taking up a course too but volunteering seem definitely a way forward!
Trouble is we are moving beg of October (so wont see the summer :( ) and my husband will be travelling a lot so it is very worrying for me..
At least its a nice area, (newport beach) it could have been much much worse I guess :D

Please, don't dread it, I wouldn't change the position I'm in at the moment and where I'm living, but sometimes, it can be hard. I have looked in to courses and have seen a couple that I'd like to try, I never got the chance back home as I was always working :D See, we're never satisfied. Honestly, I'm sure if you get on out there, it will work out just fine, so take this as an opportunity to maybe study or try something you would never have done where you are just now. As I said before, good luck with the move, feel free to PM me if you have any other concerns :)

laety May 24th 2011 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9384526)
Please, don't dread it, I wouldn't change the position I'm in at the moment and where I'm living, but sometimes, it can be hard. I have looked in to courses and have seen a couple that I'd like to try, I never got the chance back home as I was always working :D See, we're never satisfied. Honestly, I'm sure if you get on out there, it will work out just fine, so take this as an opportunity to maybe study or try something you would never have done where you are just now. As I said before, good luck with the move, feel free to PM me if you have any other concerns :)

thank you very much!!
Im sure it will be fine too once Im there and start to get to know people and have things to do. It will be very strange and totally different but yes ill try to take this as an opportunity to do something completely different.. thank you again!!

SarahG May 24th 2011 4:03 pm

I am also on the H4 visa. I have 2 young kids and I volunteer at my kids school and have become a Girl Scout leader. I also volunteer at a newly opened performing arts center in the town I live in. I have to go out and do stuff or I would lose my mind! I spend far too much time on Twitter and Facebook too!
I used meetup.com to find other groups to join and meet other people. I am so far out of my comfort zone already by volunteering at kids school that I figured what the heck. Lets meet some more strangers!
I am also attempting to write a book to take up more of my time.
It's not all bad being on a H4. I do miss working and earning my own money but I am able to get out and about and explore the town and surrounding area that I live in.

Alan17 May 25th 2011 12:04 am

You'll find that October will likely be one of the warmest months of the year, so don't worry about missing summer. The Santa Ana winds usually hit then (when the wind comes off the desert instead of the sea) getting temperatures right up. Mind you it also causes wildfires all over the place but what can you do!

Bob May 25th 2011 12:53 am

Volunteer work, animal shelter, soup kitchen, stuff like that.

Study, take the chance to learn something new.

Get shit faced :D

Sue May 25th 2011 3:45 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9384326)
If you want to do some volunteer work it has to be "proper" volunteer work ie. Something that no one else would get paid for. Try looking at www.volunteermatch.org

I second this. That's a great site for finding volunteer positions. I think volunteering is a great idea, it's a wonderful way of learning new skills (or using your existing ones) and you will get to know people in your area that way and make new friends.