Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H4 visa.. can you help?

H4 visa.. can you help?

Old May 24th 2011, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default H4 visa.. can you help?

Hi everyone
My husband and I are relocating to south California (Newport beach area) beginning of October and I’ll have a H4 visa to accompany him. I was wondering if any of you have such a visa and if so, what do you do during the day/week?
It might sound like a silly question but I have always been working and as I won’t be allowed to, I am quite worried about this.. We have no children so children activity won’t be of too much help
Any suggestions?
Thank you very much for your help!
Laety
Old May 24th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H4 visa.. can you help?

Originally Posted by laety
Hi everyone
My husband and I are relocating to south California (Newport beach area) beginning of October and I’ll have a H4 visa to accompany him. I was wondering if any of you have such a visa and if so, what do you do during the day/week?
It might sound like a silly question but I have always been working and as I won’t be allowed to, I am quite worried about this.. We have no children so children activity won’t be of too much help
Any suggestions?
Thank you very much for your help!
Laety
I was on the dreaded H4 for a numb of years too
If you want to do some volunteer work it has to be "proper" volunteer work ie. Something that no one else would get paid for. Try looking at www.volunteermatch.org
Don't know what your interests are but there's usually book clubs etc. In most cities.
Try www.meetup.com
Old May 24th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently on the dreaded H4!! I too, have worked all my life (I'm 42 this year) and I'm going to be honest with you, it's not been an easy transition. It wasn't too bad at the start, but during the winter I found it really quite hard. On the positive, the summer is right around the corner hopefully, so my days will be full of pool time and cocktails

Seriously, this is the only way we could make the move to the US and I feel blessed that I've been given the opportunity, so you make the most of it. I'm going to wait until the Summer is over this year, and seriously look in to doing some volunteer work. Our local hospital and Fire Department are crying out for Volunteers so that's the way I'm going to go.

Good luck with the move, don't know anything about the area you're moving to or what your interests are, but I'm sure you would be able to find some kind of activity to fill your day.
Old May 24th 2011, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

Thank you both
yes indeed I am dreading it.. im thinking about taking up a course too but volunteering seem definitely a way forward!
Trouble is we are moving beg of October (so wont see the summer ) and my husband will be travelling a lot so it is very worrying for me..
At least its a nice area, (newport beach) it could have been much much worse I guess
Old May 24th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

According to weather.com, average temps for Newport Beach in October run between 15 and 22 centigrade, but compared to the probable temps you'll be leaving as you get on the plane,they're still pretty good
Old May 24th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

im sure ill cope with that
Old May 24th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
Thank you both
yes indeed I am dreading it.. im thinking about taking up a course too but volunteering seem definitely a way forward!
Trouble is we are moving beg of October (so wont see the summer ) and my husband will be travelling a lot so it is very worrying for me..
At least its a nice area, (newport beach) it could have been much much worse I guess
Please, don't dread it, I wouldn't change the position I'm in at the moment and where I'm living, but sometimes, it can be hard. I have looked in to courses and have seen a couple that I'd like to try, I never got the chance back home as I was always working See, we're never satisfied. Honestly, I'm sure if you get on out there, it will work out just fine, so take this as an opportunity to maybe study or try something you would never have done where you are just now. As I said before, good luck with the move, feel free to PM me if you have any other concerns
Old May 24th 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brat1
Please, don't dread it, I wouldn't change the position I'm in at the moment and where I'm living, but sometimes, it can be hard. I have looked in to courses and have seen a couple that I'd like to try, I never got the chance back home as I was always working See, we're never satisfied. Honestly, I'm sure if you get on out there, it will work out just fine, so take this as an opportunity to maybe study or try something you would never have done where you are just now. As I said before, good luck with the move, feel free to PM me if you have any other concerns
thank you very much!!
Im sure it will be fine too once Im there and start to get to know people and have things to do. It will be very strange and totally different but yes ill try to take this as an opportunity to do something completely different.. thank you again!!
Old May 24th 2011, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I am also on the H4 visa. I have 2 young kids and I volunteer at my kids school and have become a Girl Scout leader. I also volunteer at a newly opened performing arts center in the town I live in. I have to go out and do stuff or I would lose my mind! I spend far too much time on Twitter and Facebook too!
I used meetup.com to find other groups to join and meet other people. I am so far out of my comfort zone already by volunteering at kids school that I figured what the heck. Lets meet some more strangers!
I am also attempting to write a book to take up more of my time.
It's not all bad being on a H4. I do miss working and earning my own money but I am able to get out and about and explore the town and surrounding area that I live in.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find that October will likely be one of the warmest months of the year, so don't worry about missing summer. The Santa Ana winds usually hit then (when the wind comes off the desert instead of the sea) getting temperatures right up. Mind you it also causes wildfires all over the place but what can you do!
Old May 25th 2011, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Volunteer work, animal shelter, soup kitchen, stuff like that.

Study, take the chance to learn something new.

Get shit faced
Old May 25th 2011, 3:45 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
If you want to do some volunteer work it has to be "proper" volunteer work ie. Something that no one else would get paid for. Try looking at www.volunteermatch.org
I second this. That's a great site for finding volunteer positions. I think volunteering is a great idea, it's a wonderful way of learning new skills (or using your existing ones) and you will get to know people in your area that way and make new friends.