Reload this Page >

H1B Questions

H1B Questions

Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

scubadude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B Questions

Hi all..

can anybody please answer the following...

If a company applies for the visa for you, exactly what do they do?.
also, do I need to do anything at the UK end, or will I be contacted by the US embassy?.
Will my wife be able to work if I get this visa?. If not, can we apply for another visa for her?.

Is there anything that I can do to speed up the process?.

I believe that you have to have proof of qualifications as part of the visa app. Do I need proof that I have my o levels?...what if i don't have proof. I think my old school has gone now. Will this affect my application.?
sorry for all the questions...

Regards
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B Questions

Originally posted by scubadude
Hi all..

also, do I need to do anything at the UK end, or will I be contacted by the US embassy?.
Will my wife be able to work if I get this visa?. If not, can we apply for another visa for her?.

I believe that you have to have proof of qualifications as part of the visa app. Do I need proof that I have my o levels?...what if i don't have proof. I think my old school has gone now. Will this affect my application.?

Regards
All I can tell you is my recollection of my current H1B, and what I've found out since then. Can't answer all your questions.

Essentially, the company employs an immigration expert to file the necessary papers, and they contact you to tell you what they need from you. It's up to you to press them on being given precise information on what they need. You didn't say whether they are accustomed to processing visas; if so, they've probably got a standard information sheet they'll mail you telling you what they need you to provide and do.

I doubt they'll need your O-levels, just degree certificates. I believe the H1B is reserved for people with at least an undergraduate degree (and they assume if you have that, your high school career was acceptable).

You can ask your employer if they've paid ($1,000 I believe) for premium processing. Recommended if you don't want to wait 6 months. Also, send all communication/documents via registered, speedy mail. It is more expensive, but beats biting your nails 2 weeks later wondering why your snail mail letter didn't arrive yet, and not knowing whether it's sitting under a stack on someone's desk.

After the H1B approval comes through, they'll send a copy to you, and you get a visa stamp put in your passport by the US Embassy in London. Involves making an appointment, being interviewed, and waiting for them to mail it to you (I don't think they just give it to you same day any more). You need the visa to lawfully enter the US for employment. Don't recommend you try to enter as a tourist/visa waiver program. They'll catch you eventually, and you risk either refusal at the port of entry or, later, deportatoin.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all..

Regards
So, are you saying they have offered you the job? Come on, you've got to share in return for help - that's the deal around here......
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:21 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
If you get an H-1b visa your wife will be issued an H4 visa which will not allow her to work or get a SSN. I guess she could get her own H-1b visa if she qualifies for it and finds a sponsor?
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thats cleared a few things up..thanks very much..

if you pay the extra $1000 for speedy service, how long does it all take?.

Yes they are accustomed , as the contact that i've got came over on H1B.

What soprt of questions do the US embassy ask..I've read somewhere that you have to tell them that you're not wanting to live in the US permanently????...this puzzles me a bit.. if you say no, surely they are going to ask you why you want to give up your job in the UK to work short term in the US??..

I haven't got a degree...but I have been working in I.T. for over 18 years now, i have read somewhere that they see 12 years in the same industry as a Bachelors Degree!. How do you prove this?..will a CV be enough?.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:25 pm
Ping-ponger

Thats cleared a few things up..thanks very much..

if you pay the extra $1000 for speedy service, how long does it all take?.

Yes they are accustomed , as the contact that i've got came over on H1B.

What soprt of questions do the US embassy ask..I've read somewhere that you have to tell them that you're not wanting to live in the US permanently????...this puzzles me a bit.. if you say no, surely they are going to ask you why you want to give up your job in the UK to work short term in the US??..

I haven't got a degree...but I have been working in I.T. for over 18 years now, i have read somewhere that they see 12 years in the same industry as a Bachelors Degree!. How do you prove this?..will a CV be enough?.
Not telling you until you answer my question.....
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

haha ok...

I'm hoping to find out this week..( i hate waiting )

We have talked salaries, and bonus's etc.. he even said that when the time came, he would sponsor the GC.

Spoke to him on Friday, told me that he was passing my resume over to his immigration attourney ( not sure why ) think its to see if we have a good change of getting the visa..then if all was ok, they would start the visa application..should hear from him by the end of the week..

fingers crossed
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:43 pm
Ping-ponger

haha ok...

I'm hoping to find out this week..( i hate waiting )

We have talked salaries, and bonus's etc.. he even said that when the time came, he would sponsor the GC.

Spoke to him on Friday, told me that he was passing my resume over to his immigration attourney ( not sure why ) think its to see if we have a good change of getting the visa..then if all was ok, they would start the visa application..should hear from him by the end of the week..

fingers crossed
OK, now you're getting the idea

Let's see, I think premium processing takes just a couple of weeks. Try the immigration portal for a better idea (in fact if you're not already, you should be poring over this site for all kinds of useful help): http://boards.immigrationportal.com/...p?s=&forumid=3

As for the "not settling in the US" question, it's simple: "I really want to get experience in IT at the international level, guv'nor" or something similar. Lots of people work in the US for a few years and them go home. That's why they have the visa progs. If they ask you if you intend to apply for a Green Card, say, "What's that?" or just say you just want to stay for 3 (or 6) years. If you apply for the GC later, they don't come and drag you to a ship and clap you in irons for the trip home. It's just a quirk of the system; they know darn well that many people transition to the GC b/c they love the US so much. All you have to do is demonstrate that when you enter it's not for reasons of immigrating (settling).

Some ways: keeping pensions, bank accounts, etc., in the UK. You even can sell your house, if you want. Rationale: house prices are at a bubble and you want to make a profit. Just 'cos you sell your house doesn't mean you intend to never return.

Like Mark Twain said: "There were many terrible events in my life.... and some of them actually happened". Fear of the INS is much worse than the reality. You are doing the right thing by being well-informed. Now go to the Immigration Portal and inform yourself some more! Really, it's been very helpful for me.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Will do..

thanks very much for all you help..
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:49 pm
Ping-ponger

Will do..

thanks very much for all you help..
Welcome. We've all been where you are. Exciting as a rollercoaster ride but can scare the bejesus out of you at the same time. Good luck with the job!
Old Jan 19th 2004, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

you can say that again..

thanks
Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

steppke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I think you will need to provide evidence of all your qualifications - I had a similar situation - my undergrad degree was not in the same field as the job I was taking but I had 18+ years of experience. I had to supply references from all my employers (yes every single one), all my educational qualifications going back to O levels - even my seemingly irrelevant degree had to accredited. I had no O and A level certificates, I had to go back to the exam boards and get evidence of what I had passed and when. It's a time consuming business but I got the H1-B without any problem, with, I might add the assitance of a great immigration attorney. With premium processing the whole procedure was done in less than 2 weeks.

steppke