Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Guns in America

Guns in America

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guns in America

Originally Posted by Boiler
.... Not sure of the practicality, best to not let them out in the first place.
The guns or the children?
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The guns or the children?
Sorry Children, guns do not go off by themselves.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

My fellow - adopted - countryman, Jim Jefferies just about nails the subject for me:

part 1

part 2
Old Jul 4th 2017, 7:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
no.
cdc figures show an average of 705 drownings per year for under 14s ....
So with 1,300 shooting deaths per year, guns are more dangerous that pools by almost 2:1 (1.84 : 1), but why not adjust for exposure to the risk?

About one third of US homes possess one or more guns, but only 4.1% of US homes have an in-ground pool. Even if we assume that there are an equal number of equally dangerous above-ground pools, there are four times as many homes with guns as there are with pools, so if we adjust for exposure we get 1.84/4 : 1, or about 0.46 : 1. So having a pool appears to be more than twice as likely to get your child chilled as having a gun in your house.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 7:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

So with 1,300 shooting deaths per year, guns are more dangerous that pools by almost 2:1 (1.84 : 1), but why not adjust for exposure to the risk?

About one third of US homes possess one or more guns, but only 4.1% of US homes have an in-ground pool. Even if we assume that there are an equal number of equally dangerous above-ground pools, there are four times as many homes with guns as there are with pools, so if we adjust for exposure we get 1.84/4 : 1, or about 0.46 : 1. So having a pool appears to be more than twice as likely to get your child chilled as having a gun in your house.

except they don't drown in their own pools........

and I would say that most children go swimming a few times a year,if only with their school.
I can't even begin to bother with the maths. How many under 14s in the USA, how many places to go swimming?
Old Jul 4th 2017, 7:55 pm

.... except they don't drown in their own pools........
And children aren't always shot by guns in their own home either. I suspect that shootings and drownings outside their own home are pretty much a wash.

The point, or my point at least, is that I recognize that both guns and pools present a danger, but that you want to downplay the risk of one because of your personal interest and your "comfort level", and overstate the risks of the other because you find it "scary".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 4th 2017 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:01 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I've already said that I don't downplay the risks of pools. I do whatever I can to mitigate the risks. Including asking how other parents planned on keeping my kids safe.

My kids are older and mostly out of my care but yes, especially since I live in Texas, I ask if there is a gun in the house and I've never a had a yes yet.

And it's not a wash. Twice the number of kids shot.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:04 pm

Twice the number of kids shot.
But around four times more homes with guns than pools.

With your grasp of statistics you'd make a great journalist or political speech writer!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

But around four times more homes with guns than pools.

With your grasp of statistics you'd make a great journalist or political speech writer!
This is about feelings, not logic so numbers do not count.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 4:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I've lived in the US for almost 20 years and I have the whole gun issue at the back of my mind constantly. I saw someone earlier claim they don't know anyone who owns a gun. That's actually highly unlikely.
You could say the same thing in almost any country. Obviously gun ownership is much less common in the UK but there's somewhere around 750,000 people in GB who have a shotgun or firearm certificate, or both. Odds are if you know a reasonable number of people, at least one of them owns a firearm. Anyway I'm pretty sure you're talking to a bunch of people who own them right now.

I worry about my kids visiting friends because I don't know who has guns and who doesn't. I don't know if guns have been stored properly.
So ask. Maryland has a safe storage law anyway (keep out of reach of minors) and guns are required to be sold not only with trigger locks, but with internal locks on handguns.

I don't know the mental state of the people living in the house and whether they would use a gun to harm others. I know people can also kill with knives but you don't have to be up close to someone to kill them with a gun and you can kill more people more quickly with a gun than with a knife.
Most firearm homicides are at contact distance, hence "gunshot residue". There isn't any from more than a few yards away.

There has been gun violence in my area over the years.
Two people were shot dead in the parking lot outside the supermarket I go to in Calgary a few weeks ago. Supposedly a safe area and Canada has less gun crime, so obviously these platitudes make me feel so much safer. Where I used to work in the UK (admittedly a very unsafe area) I remember once there was a shooting across the street and in the newspaper it said: "armed police officers arrived immediately as they were attending another incident in an adjacent street" The business across the road was also raided by armed robbers once.

There are many things I like about living in the US but there are also things that I do not like. I do not like the gun culture. IMO, the 2nd amendment (which was written when weapons were primitive) is not a reason to let everyone have guns - especially assault rifles.
(a) you're just as dead if someone shoots you with a flintlock and (b) Maryland has an "assault weapons" ban, what don't you believe it's effective???

There needs to be stricter gun controls and they need to be enforced. The other major thing that really bothers me is health insurance. It's frustrating that the US is the only major developed country in the world that does not have universal healthcare. The current political climate is toxic and our President is an embarrassment. To be honest, I'm thinking of moving from the US. I'll have lived here 20 years in January 2018 and that's a significant milestone that is causing me to re-evaluate my time here.
Maryland has very restrictive gun laws, more restrictive in some ways than up here, so if that's your plan, it's not going to make a difference. I agree on the healthcare issue but Canadian healthcare is far from perfect.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 9th 2017 at 4:43 am.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 5:28 am
Account Closed

US has Black Guns, much worse than anything in the UK.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 6:52 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

...I ask if there is a gun in the house and I've never a had a yes yet....
Do you live in the Austin area?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

US has Black Guns, much worse than anything in the UK.
Better than Orange. Or maybe "Orange is the New Black".
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Not sure, perhaps Trump would approve?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, perhaps Trump would approve?
The show or the color?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.