Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gun in the glovebox?

Gun in the glovebox?

Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gun in the glovebox?

If you were in the US and someone blocked you into a carpark and started screaming at you about your driving... would you be worried that they might have a gun in the glovebox, or would it not occur to you?

An American friend of mine says it wouldn't even occur to her. But when it happened to me I was terrified that the guy might have a gun (I'm in Maine where 50,000 people have permits for concealed weapons). I immediately called the police and told the guy I was doing so, and after the police answered he drove off.

Is it a cultural thing. Do we Brits have an overly-developed fear of guns compared to Americans?

Do you have a gun in your glovebox? In your house?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:40 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun in the glovebox?

Originally Posted by kins
If you were in the US and someone blocked you into a carpark and started screaming at you about your driving... would you be worried that they might have a gun in the glovebox, or would it not occur to you?

An American friend of mine says it wouldn't even occur to her. But when it happened to me I was terrified that the guy might have a gun (I'm in Maine where 50,000 people have permits for concealed weapons). I immediately called the police and told the guy I was doing so, and after the police answered he drove off.

Is it a cultural thing. Do we Brits have an overly-developed fear of guns compared to Americans?

If I was driving badly enough to make someone do that I'd turn in my licence for my own and others safety
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

'A' Gun ...singular .....your kidding ...
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

never mind in the glovebox, here they carry them on their passenger seat or on view in their cab in the back of their pick-ups...seen lots of them over the yrs consequently you rarely hear anyone honk their horns coz you know you'll be in line for a bullet
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
If I was driving badly enough to make someone do that I'd turn in my licence for my own and others safety
Well he said I was driving too slowly (I was doing 35 in a 40 because I was lost) and then that I should've let him undertake me when he was turning right, even though I was also indicating to turn right and was in front of him.

So I guess it depends on your definition of driving 'badly'...
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Well he said I was driving too slowly (I was doing 35 in a 40 because I was lost) and then that I should've let him undertake me when he was turning right, even though I was also indicating to turn right and was in front of him.

yup, you could've been shot for that
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by basementwaj
yup, you could've been shot for that
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:07 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I once really pissed someone off by driving about 30 in a 25 (I guess they were in a hurry) - when he started beeping and pulling right up behind me I slowed down to 25 (that was the speed limit after all). Just before it turned into a 35 limit there was a petrol station so I decided that would be a good time to fill up - he was so close behind me and ready to swing around me at any opportunity that he didn't spot my indicator so when I slowed to turn in he had to swerve violently around me. It never occurred to me that the guy might have a gun, but I guess if I lived in some parts of the country I may have thought about that.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:18 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Using the turn signal marked you as a furriner. If you want to fit in here, do as we do -- react to tailgaters by locking up your brakes, and whatever you do, don't use your turn signals.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=366326

video of rednecks following a guy in a BMZ Z4 and giving him grief... until he pulls a gun on them
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:25 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even think about it though I only got my license last week. I know my wife complains all the time about other people's slow driving even when I state that they're going the speed limit for the road, yet if I go 5 over or under the limit I'm told off
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

video of rednecks following a guy in a BMZ Z4 and giving him grief... until he pulls a gun on them
Looked bit set up to me...
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
Looked bit set up to me...
as are most videos on youtube etc.....
Although there are a lot of comments on that video that state it's genuine.

the answer my friend is blowing in the wind
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:44 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a skit. And all of those guys had Canadian accents. Not to say that there are no handguns in Canada, but they aren't common there.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

as are most videos on youtube etc.....
Although there are a lot of comments on that video that state it's genuine.

the answer my friend is blowing in the wind
God, that vid caused a 20 page thread on a forum I used to visit. People were arguing over wether it was real or not... IIRC, someone finally posted a link where the guy who created it claimed it was done as a project and not intended to be real, but then it got onto the internet and out of his control...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.