Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A guide to Brits?

A guide to Brits?

Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:47 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Question A guide to Brits?

Personal manners guide

Now this makes us sound like we have the personality of a dial tone.....

British people don't like to be embarrassed. They fear that they may not be able to make conversation with you, or to understand what you say to them. They probably don't know much about your country (if they can guess where you are from) or culture, and fear they might say something that offends you. They think you won't understand their jokes (you won't!) The easiest way to avoid this is if they don't go up and start speaking to you.
If you are a woman, a British man may worry that you will feel threatened if he starts speaking to you.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 12:01 am
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A guide to Brits?

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Personal manners guide

Well, we all know that the ones with personality find a way of getting out!
Old Aug 21st 2003, 12:03 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Ha ha ha... Very good answer and sooooo true!
Old Aug 21st 2003, 2:53 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Personal manners guide

It made me laugh out loud, surely it is a piss-take?

Emm.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Personal manners guide

Is this "guide" intended for Americans? I will agree that British humor is incomprehensable to most Americans, myself included. I also think it's a good idea to have a guide for Americans visiting Britian. I will be visiting the UK in the future, heaven forbid I should ask a British person if they have children, only to discover that I have dealt a personal insult.

Last edited by Jabba1; Aug 22nd 2003 at 6:58 am.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 1:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Personal manners guide

"To be very polite you should eat peas by mashing them against the reverse side of your fork"??

This probably explains why I had to leave England. Nobody ever told me. Also, it's quite hard to do.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 2:49 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
"To be very polite you should eat peas by mashing them against the reverse side of your fork"??

This probably explains why I had to leave England. Nobody ever told me. Also, it's quite hard to do.
There must be a statistic somewhere to prove that the rise in crime in England is mainly due to "the pea problem". I think corporal punishment is the only answer for these damned unmashed pea-eaters. Bring back the birch I say! 'Angins too good for em!

Note to self: write angry letter to The Telegraph...
Old Aug 21st 2003, 2:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
There must be a statistic somewhere to prove that the rise in crime in England is mainly due to "the pea problem". I think corporal punishment is the only answer for these damned unmashed pea-eaters. Bring back the birch I say! 'Angins too good for em!

Note to self: write angry letter to The Telegraph...

Exactly. Especially when we all know that in the best circles peas are eaten off the knife.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

For all the Americans visiting the UK this is a must:

http://www.brookview.karoo.net/BFA/
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ray6
For all the Americans visiting the UK this is a must:

http://www.brookview.karoo.net/BFA/
ROTFLMAO
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What to say to Cab drivers is my favourite....
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very Funny

Who created that site? Hilarious stuff, i loved the map with the explaination that "london is a big city where most english people live", hilarious as that is the only place in britain that any yank knows!! Except sometimes, edinBERG!!
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Many Americans visiting Britain for the first time are amazed to see the local people travelling on the backs of these contraptions. They are provided free by the National Health Service as a means of "keeping fit", and are state-owned.

As a tourist, you have a right by law to ride any unoccupied bicycle, or even to commandeer one of the many thronging the busy streets of London town with the traditional cry of "Gerrorf", which roughly translates as "I, a citizen of the United States, claim this velocopede as decreed by the law of King Charles III Jr". Be sure to pick a good bicycle, and you will enjoy hours of pleasure and sight-seeing, helped on your way by the good people of Britain, who encourage you with hearty cries of "Stapfeefe".

Don't worry about learning to ride; lessons (and tax & insurance) are unnecessary.

LOL!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Oxford-Ohio is an unknown quantity at this point

The true test of Britishness is the ability to ride a stolen bycicle around Hyde Park Corner whilst balancing peas on a knife.

I find most Americans just cannot do this!!