Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Guantanamo Bay

Guantanamo Bay

Old Mar 12th 2004, 1:34 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Guantanamo Bay

Just read an account of how Guantanamo Bay is run. Despicable in this day and age. No wonder there is so much violence targetted against americans

Mirror story

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...name_page.html
Old Mar 12th 2004, 1:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

eh?

Bush/Cheney 2004 is in your sig
and you have 'God Bless America" under your av.

what gives?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 1:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Prisoners who had never seen an "unveiled" woman before would be forced to watch as the hookers touched their own naked bodies

cruelty?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 2:01 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
eh?

what gives?
The sig and his motto confused me as well. Are Twat/Chaingang trying some sort of reverse psychology ?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Prisoners who had never seen an "unveiled" woman before would be forced to watch as the hookers touched their own naked bodies

cruelty?
I would like to volunteer as an 'observer' to investigate this obvious cruelty.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 4:29 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

eh?

what gives?
Whats up manc1976

Just bcause I support Bush doesnt mean I agree to everything he does.

You've got to learn to think outside the web/net.

God bless the queen too.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 4:47 pm
@matthewb76

fair enough I guess.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 5:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guantanamo Bay

Originally posted by Polaris_x
Last time I checked, Guantanamo Bay wasn't holding terrorists until AFTER 9/11. Where's your logic? Ohhhh, the Muslim FundaMENTALists can see into the future. It all makes perfect sense now.

I know that this is an annoying comment to make, but it seems to me that the number of violent incidents around the world has only increased after the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. Not that the holding of people for in cages for two years without charges or trial in Guantanamo is solely responsible for this, of course, but it does make one wonder whether Tony, Georgie etc. are going about this the right way. There are separate components to all this: 1) Control over strategic territory, particularly if it hold petroleum 2) Revenge - they killed us so we have to kill them (got to find "them" first though) 3) Policies which will improve the conditions which create breeding grounds for murderous acts. Seems like we are working on 1 & 2, but not 3. Just a thought.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:02 pm
@matthewb76

you know, the sad thing is. 9/11 wasn't that special in the grand scheme of things.
There have only been like 10 days of complete global world peace since the end of World war 2.
9/11 was just another day, another bloodbath.
as was yesterday in Spain.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:12 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
it does make one wonder whether Tony, Georgie etc. are going about this the right way.
If you look at the all the terrorist campaigns throughout the world the only ones that have ever been settled have been done through negotiation and not bloodshed - Israel - no peace - no pow-wow, NI - peace - pow wow.

Invading countries that have nothing to do with 9/11 on false pretenses can only heighten the situation and not lessen it.

Patrick
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
If you look at the all the terrorist campaigns throughout the world the only ones that have ever been settled have been done through negotiation and not bloodshed - Israel - no peace - no pow-wow, NI - peace - pow wow.

Invading countries that have nothing to do with 9/11 on false pretenses can only heighten the situation and not lessen it.

Patrick

Exactly.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

9-11 is looking more & more like the excuse that bush needed to invade other nations.

Would I be cynical enough to believe he allowed 9-11 to happen so he could steal Iraq's oil ?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:02 pm
@matthewb76

Give it time. NI will want their freedom again, eventually. But that won't matter, right?
The thing is, The republic of Ireland has dropped the rights to NI from their constitution so they don't want NI anyways.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. But excuse or not, in my opinion, it's justified.

I doubt it. That's as absurd as thinking the U.S. knew Japan was going to attack us. Besides, he only had 10 months to plan it and execute it. All the while, he had a Clinton man in charge of the FBI and CIA.

<<snip>>
Strangely enough, there is are a number of individuals and organizations that believe that FD Roosevelt did know about the attack on Pearl Harbor in advance !

See-
http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/w...arlharbor.html

http://www.independent.org/archive/pearlharbor.html
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:31 pm

So, what's it going to be? Sit back and be attacked, or kill some of them and be attacked? As I said before, the U.S. didn't have anybody from the Middle-East at Guantanamo Bay BEFORE 9/11/01. So, that shows me that Guantanamo Bay is NOT the reason for these terrorist attacks. It may be an "excuse" that people throw around for political reasons, but it's not THE reason.

What do you suggest we do? It's easy to bitch about the situation, but do you or anyone else have a solution? How about we all just turn Muslim and then there won't be any need for them to kill us. Oh wait...the Suni's and the Kurds and the Shiites have been going at it for thousands or years. I guess there isn't a solution. Well, there's only ONE solution, and nobody wants to talk about that. It only causes people to complain even more.

As for attacks going up, you're probably right. But, when a vicious animal is dying, that's when it's usually most dangerous. I say we just keep killing them. If killing one create's 10, and killing those 10 creates 100, then so be it. Eventually they'll all be terrorists and we can simply wipe them off the damn planet...ALL of them.

I don't believe I said that Guantanamo Bay was the cause of the 9/11 attacks, although it is pretty clear that it has subsequently caused a fair bit of resentment and anger and can be added to a heap of policies and actions that have caused hatred of the U.S., both fanatical and murderous, and "normal" political hatred, around the world. Murderous actions have causes, and this is not to justify the actions but to say that it is the causes that must be sought out and remedied or the murders will go on. What causes young men and women to sign up in droves for "terrorist schools" and to be suicide bombers? It is not being a Muslim or a Christian or Jewish for example. The world is full of Muslims and Christians and Jews (and other religions) who are as appalled as you or I at what is happening. Your suggestion that we go and "kill some of them" falls pretty squarely into the revenge category, an understandable emotion but ultimately not conducive to anything but more violence and hatred. Especially since most of those doing the dying these days are civilians, and many even children.

Why is the U.S. the object of so much hatred? Is it really as simple as Bush would have us believe, that "they" hate freedom? What does that actually mean? I don't think that there is any historical doubt that the U.S., with the UK sometimes helping, has put in place and/or kept in place, financially and militarily, a succession of the most appalling and murderous governments on the face of the earth, and has moved to prevent the countries' own peoples from doing anything about it. Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Israel, Palestine, Panama, Argentina, Iran (when it was under the Shah), Iraq (when we liked Saddam), Haiti, Angola, let's see, who am I missing? And all for economic and/or strategic gain. All empires have found in the end that you can't kill "all of them". As the richest country in the world, how about invading countries with medicines for AIDS and other infectious diseases, with the infrastructure for clean water, with the funds for education. with food and the means to produce it, etc. etc.

Hey, that wasn't a bad speech.

Edit - oops, forgot Chile.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Mar 12th 2004 at 8:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.