Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GSM Phone - USA/UK

GSM Phone - USA/UK

Old May 30th 2008, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default GSM Phone - USA/UK

So... Sheila and I are travelling to Britain at the end of July. Neither of our cell phones are GSM-compliant which means they won't work outside of North America.

Is there some sort of throw-away phone that we can get in the US that will work in the UK but that doesn't require a long-term commitment (we'll be away for less than 2 weeks) or big bucks?

Ian
Old May 30th 2008, 3:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GSM Phone - USA/UK

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
So... Sheila and I are travelling to Britain at the end of July. Neither of our cell phones are GSM-compliant which means they won't work outside of North America.

Is there some sort of throw-away phone that we can get in the US that will work in the UK but that doesn't require a long-term commitment (we'll be away for less than 2 weeks) or big bucks?

Ian
Car Phone Warehouse sell almost new phones. I bought a basic pay as you go phone cost 20 GBP...that included a 10 GBP phone card. I only make emergency calls but people can call me...especially my family in the US and Canada. Car Phone Warehouse stores seem to be everywhere.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:42 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
The issue isn't just with having GSM, but also with having phones that operate on the same frequencies. (North American frequencies differ from those used in the rest of the world.) So if you buy a phone in the US, then it needs to be a tri-band or quad-band in order to work abroad. (In the US, these handsets are often referred to as "world phones.")

If you get the phone from a US wireless carrier, such as AT&T, then it would also need to be "unlocked" so that you can use the service of a UK wireless provider. That has some cost and hassle involved.

Given all that, I'd be inclined to buy a pay-as-you-go package in the UK that includes a cheap handset, SIM card and a bit of call credit. Not sure who offers the best deal, but you can probably get a starter kit with the phone for about L50.
Old May 30th 2008, 4:05 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There are four main GSM frequencies, so if you get a Quad band phone, you are probably ok. Otherwise, you need to make sure the phone you get operates on the same GSM frequency as the carrier in the UK

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_gb.shtml (UK)
http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_us.shtml (US)

I currently have an unlocked US phone (T-Mobile is pretty liberal with their unlocking) and I throw in a pay as you go sim when I get to the UK from O2. But since I'm always with a laptop and a net connection, what I generally do now is use Skype IN / Out features for calls back to the US while on travel, and the mobile only for last minute type things or for people to call me. I usually set it up so if my Skype In number (which is a US phone number) is unavailable it forwards to my UK mobile. Makes it easier on folks back in the US to call me.

Basically, in a week of travel with just a pay as you go, I would spend about £100 on calls, but now that I would use Skype and what not, that dropped to < £20 or so.
Old May 30th 2008, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Car Phone Warehouse sell almost new phones. I bought a basic pay as you go phone cost 20 GBP...that included a 10 GBP phone card. I only make emergency calls but people can call me...especially my family in the US and Canada. Car Phone Warehouse stores seem to be everywhere.
I assume you keep the same phone for all your trips back then? So do you keep the same phone number for every trip back? Or do you have to buy a new sim with a new number every time you go back?
Old May 30th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
Most UK family members, seem to have spare/old model cell phones (UK phones are usually unlocked) borrow one of those & get a Virgin pay as you go SIM. I have had my own Unlocked, phone + Virgin Sim for years, saves a fortune, especially FOC incoming calls. One problem with international calls, the carrier will usually want you to signup, even though, no contract. To signup you will need, UK address. As Jersey said, carphone warehouse, has SIMS.

http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54 is a great place for International Cell phone advice
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 30th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I assume you keep the same phone for all your trips back then? So do you keep the same phone number for every trip back? Or do you have to buy a new sim with a new number every time you go back?
I have had the same SIM for many years. I always leave some airtime on the SIM, every 90 days, I send myself a VM or SMS from the UK SIM. I have international roaming, so can get service in USA. Most companies, have 90 -180 day rule, if SIM not used. Kaput.
Most people I know, use Virgin, Orange or Carphone Warehouse, have their own SIM deal.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 30th 2008, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Same number, same phone...I just call Orange to top up my card.
Old May 30th 2008, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by frrussre
I have had the same SIM for many years. I always leave some airtime on the SIM, every 90 days, I send myself a VM or SMS from the UK SIM. I have international roaming, so can get service in USA. Most companies, have 90 -180 day rule, if SIM not used. Kaput.
Most people I know, use Virgin, Orange or Carphone Warehouse, have their own SIM deal.
Reg. Frank R.
I was told 180 days but I've used mine after being out of the UK for a year and it was still working. If it doesn't Carphone Warehouse just make a call and you've got your minutes back.
Old May 30th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was told 180 days but I've used mine after being out of the UK for a year and it was still working. If it doesn't Carphone Warehouse just make a call and you've got your minutes back.
Hi Jersey, yep I have never lost my minutes, even before I did the 90/180 day trick. Just get to UK power up, save a ton of money.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 30th 2008, 7:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi Jersey, yep I have never lost my minutes, even before I did the 90/180 day trick. Just get to UK power up, save a ton of money.
Reg. Frank R.
How rude of me...hi Frank how are you doin'?

A lovely afternoon here temps in the 80's...smashing.

PS I won't be needing that spare room for a few months.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

How rude of me...hi Frank how are you doin'?

A lovely afternoon here temps in the 80's...smashing.

PS I won't be needing that spare room for a few months.
Hi Jersey, the boy wonder is staying in GA, summer school. We just booked 3day trip to visit him. Ft Lauderdale the weather, mid 80's & humid. Beach again Sat N Sun.
Glad your weather is warmer. Getting the pool open or to early?
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Perhaps not quite what you want, but last time we were in the UK, we bought a the cheapest quad-band pay-as-you-go phone that Tescos had, which was a Motorola RAZR V3. It was about 40 GBP. I use T-Mobile pay-as-you-go in the US, so I got the phone unlocked and can swap between the T-Mobile USA and Tesco SIM cards as needed. You have to use the Tesco SIM every six months to keep it alive (but you can use the Tesco SIM in the US so that's no problem).

So you could look for an "Unlocked Motorola RAZR V3" online here then buy any Pay as you go SIM card once you get to the UK.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is it worth the hassle?

But anyway, you can get a PAYG phone from dixons in duty free at heathrow I think for a few quid and just get a top up card at any newsagent...
Old May 30th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nokia's, are the easiest & cheapest to unlock (DIY FOC).
ian-mstm, has said he is using non GSM phones in USA, so unable to unlock & needs to buy cheap world/tri/quad phone, unlocked.
If phone purchased in UK, mostly unlocked, make sure SIM phone, a few non SIM phones are available in UK.

http://shop.carphonewarehouse.com/pay-as-you-go/ This looks like a great deal: Sony K200i £9.95, though only dual band, not for USA.

Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.