Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grrr... trying to open UK bank accounts for kids with internet access

Grrr... trying to open UK bank accounts for kids with internet access

Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

pearsonrj is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Grrr... trying to open UK bank accounts for kids with internet access

Hi all. This is my first post on this site. I'm an ex-pat and have been living in California for 15 years, and am now dual nationality. My wife and I have 3 children under the age of 18, all US born. All our relatives are in the UK, and up until recently we had Halifax building society accounts for our children that our relatives could put money into. The problem was that we could not access these accounts online or over the phone - we had to write letters to Halifax to get anything done. So we closed those accounts and opened accounts at Lloyds TSB (where I have an account). Now we have a similar problem. Without physically visiting a Lloyds TSB branch my identity cannot be verified for the purposes of setting up internet banking etc. for the children's accounts.

So - my question - does anybody know of any financial institution that allows you to set up a check or savings account in UK currency and allows internet banking, without having to visit the UK?

Thanks!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grrr... trying to open UK bank accounts for kids with internet access

This doesn't immediately answer your question, but I actually put my father on my account when I was last in the UK. As a person on the account that I have allowed, he can do what he want. If I need anything to be done, I just have him do it.

Clearly need someone you trust! But just saved a lot of hassle.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grrr... trying to open UK bank accounts for kids with internet access

By the letter of the law (i.e. what you are supposed to do as an expat) is set up accounts with the offshore branches of the banks.

They are getting more and more strict about opening accounts these days. You are actually fairly lucky they let you open the accounts at all residing outside of the UK, given recent stories. Regarding the online access, short of a visit or going with Hobbes solution, I think the only way you are going to be able to do it remotely is to get a proper offshore non-residents account.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:23 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
By the letter of the law (i.e. what you are supposed to do as an expat) is set up accounts with the offshore branches of the banks.

They are getting more and more strict about opening accounts these days. You are actually fairly lucky they let you open the accounts at all residing outside of the UK, given recent stories. Regarding the online access, short of a visit or going with Hobbes solution, I think the only way you are going to be able to do it remotely is to get a proper offshore non-residents account.
While Dan is correct, I have to say, Lloyds TSB have some pretty funny practices. SWMBO called them this week to pay off her credit card. No dice.

Them: Oh, we can only accept payment from a Lloyds TSB account.
SWMBO: But I want to pay it with my debit card from an account at another bank. I've got it right here.
Them: Sorry, we'll only accept payment from an account with another bank if you first go into arrears and we get to the point of suing you.

So she had to, pointlessly, pull cash out of one bank, put it into another, just to give them some money :curse:
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

You are actually fairly lucky they let you open the accounts at all residing outside of the UK, given recent stories.
I'm surprised too. Perhaps it's because these accounts were for minors and their parent already had an account at that bank?

I'm also a little confused as to what the OP is asking. Wh ywould the parents' identity have to be verified for children's accounts? Are they some kind of custodial accounts as opposed to "regular" accounts?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pearsonrj
Hi all. This is my first post on this site. I'm an ex-pat and have been living in California for 15 years, and am now dual nationality. My wife and I have 3 children under the age of 18, all US born. All our relatives are in the UK, and up until recently we had Halifax building society accounts for our children that our relatives could put money into. The problem was that we could not access these accounts online or over the phone - we had to write letters to Halifax to get anything done. So we closed those accounts and opened accounts at Lloyds TSB (where I have an account). Now we have a similar problem. Without physically visiting a Lloyds TSB branch my identity cannot be verified for the purposes of setting up internet banking etc. for the children's accounts.

So - my question - does anybody know of any financial institution that allows you to set up a check or savings account in UK currency and allows internet banking, without having to visit the UK?

Thanks!
I think that an alternative to physically walking in to the bank branch (when they verify and photocopy your documents on the spot) is that you get notarized copies of the needed documents (passport, recent bank statement etc.) and mail them in. I've opened a couple of accounts over the last several of months - in the Isle of Man, not UK, but I think the bank (e.g. LTSB) has similar verification procedures in both places.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think that an alternative to physically walking in to the bank branch (when they verify and photocopy your documents on the spot) is that you get notarized copies of the needed documents (passport, recent bank statement etc.) and mail them in. I've opened a couple of accounts over the last several of months - in the Isle of Man, not UK, but I think the bank (e.g. LTSB) has similar verification procedures in both places.
Yeah, but the various guilds of notaries get moody about overseas stuff and you have to get shit certified, at great expense, by the government (Apostille letters etc.)

It's as I've said before - the "professions" get to have restrictive practices that would be illegal for the blue collar worker. :curse:
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yeah, but the various guilds of notaries get moody about overseas stuff and you have to get shit certified, at great expense, by the government (Apostille letters etc.)

It's as I've said before - the "professions" get to have restrictive practices that would be illegal for the blue collar worker. :curse:
I just got a regular NYS Notary Public to do it, for free. Took 5 minutes (each time.) Worked for LTSB, Bradford & Bingley, and the Nationwide.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:51 pm

I just got a regular NYS Notary Public to do it, for free. Took 5 minutes (each time.) Worked for LTSB, Bradford & Bingley, and the Nationwide.
Thanks! Useful data point re the relative power of US vs UK Notary guilds.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is absolutely not "the law" that non-residents of the United Kingdom may only deal with offshore branches.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is absolutely not "the law" that non-residents of the United Kingdom may only deal with offshore branches.
Figuratively I meant; I think most other people understood my meaning.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by chartreuse
While Dan is correct, I have to say, Lloyds TSB have some pretty funny practices. SWMBO called them this week to pay off her credit card. No dice.

Them: Oh, we can only accept payment from a Lloyds TSB account.
SWMBO: But I want to pay it with my debit card from an account at another bank. I've got it right here.
Them: Sorry, we'll only accept payment from an account with another bank if you first go into arrears and we get to the point of suing you.

So she had to, pointlessly, pull cash out of one bank, put it into another, just to give them some money :curse:
Yeah - funny is a polite term for LTSB's practices and customer relations style. LTSB is a totally awful organisation. However, I do have an account with them and I think my money is safer there than with a lot of other banks. Full disclosure - my uncle, my brother & my sister all worked for LTSB. My brother worked there for 40 years (age 18 to 58.) Whether coincidentally or not, he has mental health problems.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:03 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Offshore accounts cost mucho $$$. LTSB try to sell me on them once in a while. No thanks. Since internet banking didn't exist when I moved over here, I too can't prove my identity to use it that way.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Offshore accounts cost mucho $$$. LTSB try to sell me on them once in a while. No thanks. Since internet banking didn't exist when I moved over here, I too can't prove my identity to use it that way.
How do you mean, they cost? They are just like regular bank or building society accounts. While LTSB charge a monthly fee for their current account with checkbook & debit card if your balance is less than 100K, there are no fees for savings accounts at places like Nationwide or Bradford & Bingley (whatever balance you maintain.)

Opening the account is easy, just fill out the application and send in photocopies of the documents they ask for, notarized by a US notary public.

Last edited by robin1234; Jan 8th 2009 at 2:28 pm. Reason: added the words "photocopies of"
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

How do you mean, they cost? They are just like regular bank or building society accounts. While LTSB charge a monthly fee for their current account with checkbook & debit card if your balance is less than 100K, there are no fees for savings accounts at places like Nationwide or Bradford & Bingley (whatever balance you maintain.)

Opening the account is easy, just fill out the application and send in photocopies of the documents they ask for, notarized by a US notary public.
They often provide a lot less deposit insurance than do UK-domiciled accounts. A potentially important difference, especially at the moment. This is the main reason I declined LTSB's attempts to get me to move my account offshore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.