Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Growing old in the US of A

Wikiposts

Growing old in the US of A

Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:53 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing old in the US of A

Originally Posted by danfan
With your terrible experience, I am not surprised at the way you feel.

I think there's also major difference between the way people use/abuse the healthcare systems. In England, waiting rooms are filled with patients who go for anything and everything - from the serious stuff to coughs, colds, headaches etc. And every visit costs the NHS money.

Apart from my medical exam when I first came to the US, I haven't been to the doctors once since 2003. In the UK, I probably went 2 or 3 times a year. Having to pay on the way out of the doctor's office is a good incentive to get over minor ailments without seeing a doctor or getting a prescription!

I've not seen a doctor in the USA for over 7 years...you do get over stuff...even if it takes a little longer...
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Is there anywhere on the forum with info about getting healthcare? I've had a look in the wiki and couldn't see anything. I know many states are doing healthcare for kids now, so it would be good info to share if it's not already listed.
have to add the info you have yourself as I don't think anyone's started it...

Mass has something, but it's shite, though by law everyone has to have insurance in this state...and Maine also has something for the poor and old, but again, it's shite.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

Mass has something, but it's shite, though by law everyone has to have insurance in this state...and Maine also has something for the poor and old, but again, it's shite.
Good healthcare will be the province of the very wealthy, look at the numbers, just a question of how long.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I wish to defend US healthcare - it's an absolute disgrace that they spend so much and still have so many people excluded - but I will happily take my chances with Medicare over the NHS. But I readily admit that I will almost certainly be in a position where I can afford supplemental insurance to cover the Medicare gaps. What worries me a lot more is the decade before one is eligible for Medicare coverage - a time when the probability of needing significant healthcare is rising fast and where the probability of getting affordable individual coverage is slim.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:29 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Not that I wish to defend US healthcare - it's an absolute disgrace that they spend so much and still have so many people excluded - but I will happily take my chances with Medicare over the NHS. But I readily admit that I will almost certainly be in a position where I can afford supplemental insurance to cover the Medicare gaps. What worries me a lot more is the decade before one is eligible for Medicare coverage - a time when the probability of needing significant healthcare is rising fast and where the probability of getting affordable individual coverage is slim.
I don't know how old you are, but if you are under 45, chances are that Medicare won't be worth having by the time you hit retirement. Medicare Part D was brought in to appease the powerful Baby-Boom Generation, but the whole system is not sustainable in the long run.

We are only just now at the start of an obesity and diabetic epidemic which, unless people en masse dramatically change their lifestyles, will bring the health care system to a collapse.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Am I the only one who thinks they are too young to think of this yet? I might like it here so say yes I want to retire here but in 30 yrs time circumstances might change either personally or healthcare etc.

I want to be happy and at this stage of my life can only think of the next couple of years, if and when we become unhappy here we will try and move back.

But I can't think too far ahead as in 30 yrs I will think differently (just as I do now to 15 yrs ago). We plan for tomorrow but live for today.
If you think you're going to alive at retirement age then that's reason enough to start making plans about retirement. The State, British or American, may not have sufficient funds, if you think you'll end up relying or leaning on them during your retirement years.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:16 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Mass health is good Bob...my grandson has it and he is covered for everything 100%...when baby was born his mother used Mass health she got 7 days in her own room a nurse for baby and a room for my son to stay in....she had a midwife call on her for 2 weeks after and it was all covered by Mass Health...trying getting that on private Ins...
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
I don't know how old you are, but if you are under 45, chances are that Medicare won't be worth having by the time you hit retirement. Medicare Part D was brought in to appease the powerful Baby-Boom Generation, but the whole system is not sustainable in the long run.

We are only just now at the start of an obesity and diabetic epidemic which, unless people en masse dramatically change their lifestyles, will bring the health care system to a collapse.
I was thinking the same.

You know what the system is now, and maybe for the next 5 years, but if you are talking about 10, 20 or 30 years from now, well...

Where is the money coming from to pay for it.

Too many vested interests to change it completely, most likely a horrible bastardised version of what is currently available.

And how can you know there will be gap insurance or what it will cost, unless you do not intend hanging around very long.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:54 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
If you think you're going to alive at retirement age then that's reason enough to start making plans about retirement. The State, British or American, may not have sufficient funds, if you think you'll end up relying or leaning on them during your retirement years.
Thanks for worrying about me
That's why I say we plan for tomorrow. Whether we are in the US or the UK we have to have private means of pension which we will be starting soon (501k whatever that means) also we have my OH work pensions.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
My brother was here last week, traveled all over the state and came back to tell me that he's not seen poverty on this level in any European country he has traveled to (which is nearly all of them in W.Europe as well as some of the former satelittes).

Come down to Florida and see what old age in the US is all about. 75 and 80 year olds working bagging groceries because they can't afford their Medicare prescriptions.

Imagine being 72 and you're struck down by a major illness. You'd better be a multimillionaire if you want to have the sort of non-worry free life that European retirees have.

As he told me. In Europe, old people travel, they don't sit working till they drop.
This is so true- our local Publix is staffed mainly by 75 and 80 year olds. My friend from Scotland has been over for a few weeks and can't get over the amount of elderly people working, or the amount of beggars we see on the roads- its been an eye-opener for her.

My elderly Mum (living in Wales) was laughing yesterday about the 12 items on her prescription- all free of course...I dread to think what that prescription would have cost here, even with insurance.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
This is so true- our local Publix is staffed mainly by 75 and 80 year olds. My friend from Scotland has been over for a few weeks and can't get over the amount of elderly people working, or the amount of beggars we see on the roads- its been an eye-opener for her.
There are many reasons elderly people work, the major one of which in the US is the abysmally low savings rate in general. With the demise of defined benefit pension plans, this is only going to become more pronounced over the next couple of decades. Otoh, is it really bad that older people need to remain in the labour force?

My elderly Mum (living in Wales) was laughing yesterday about the 12 items on her prescription- all free of course...I dread to think what that prescription would have cost here, even with insurance.

Difficult to tell without knowing the total cost of the drugs. Worst case scenario is something like $3850 plus 5% of anything over that amount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicar..._beneficiaries

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 16th 2007 at 6:05 am.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was thinking the same.

You know what the system is now, and maybe for the next 5 years, but if you are talking about 10, 20 or 30 years from now, well...

Where is the money coming from to pay for it.
A fair, point and one that also applies to completely tax-funded systems such as the NHS. Otoh, given the staggering percentage of GDP the US spends on healthcare, the problem is clearly more pronounced here. The one potentially saving grace for the US is that it's level of immigration means that it isn't seeing such a large shift in the ratio of young to old that most Western European countries are.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
A fair, point and one that also applies to completely tax-funded systems such as the NHS. Otoh, given the staggering percentage of GDP the US spends on healthcare, the problem is clearly more pronounced here. The one potentially saving grace for the US is that it's level of immigration means that it isn't seeing such a large shift in the ratio of young to old that most Western European countries are.
Legal or illegal?

The number of those likely to be in the higher tax brackets is small, most is poor often with families, a net drain.

NHS is not quite completely tax funded but obviously has major issues as well.

The NHS needs major reform, perhaps just concentrate on core issues. The US system, dunno, my guess is that the coverage available will be whittled away to remain in budget, even if that budget includes a large amount of waste. Probably make it means tested as well.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Giantaxe;4526030]There are many reasons elderly people work, the major one of which in the US is the abysmally low savings rate in general. With the demise of defined benefit pension plans, this is only going to become more pronounced over the next couple of decades. Otoh, is it really bad that older people need to remain in the labour force? [end quote]

Yes I think it is bad that many HAVE to work to pay for their prescriptions etc. Many have had to sell their houses and live in mobile homes to get by - talk to some of them. One old gent I was talking to at the checkout is a retired college professor- who 20 years into retirement can no longer live on his pensions etc, so he's bagging groceries. How much do you have to save to fund 25+ years of comfortable retirement in this country???

Last edited by Taffyles; Mar 16th 2007 at 6:19 am.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I think it is bad that many HAVE to work to pay for their prescriptions etc. Many have had to sell their houses and live in mobile homes to get by - talk to some of them. One old gent I was talking to at the checkout is a retired college professor- who 20 years into retirement can no longer live on his pensions etc, so he's bagging groceries. How much do you have to save to fund 25+ years of comfortable retirement in this country???
I think that's bad too. The point I'm making is that there are many other reasons than having to pay for prescriptions that older people work in the US. And the major reason is a lack of saving for retirement at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.