Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

grocery stores in OC

grocery stores in OC

Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: grocery stores in OC

Don't forget to get a Vons/Pavilions/Safeway card so you can get money off at their gas station and all the sales deals too.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I found Trader Joes to be cheaper and better for speciality items such as Indian curries but is more expensive for the run of the mill products such as breads, dairy products, soda, meats, produce, and general canned products.
Around where I am, definitely agree with the meet being expensive, but it's very good quality...the dairy is a lot cheaper, the soft drinks about the same, canned goods about the same, soups are lovely but a bit pricey....the bread is very cheap for the regular loaf of bread but the rolls etc are rather pricey too.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
the bread is very cheap for the regular loaf of bread but the rolls etc are rather pricey too.
is it me or does the bread taste sweet ??

btw while in trader joes yesterday, I was looking at some rose wine (well between 2 bottles of white zinfandel) which were about $5/$6 each and this guy came to me and said "if you want a good white zinfandel, go for the one over there (pointing at another place in the store) the bottle was $1.99!!! I took one to try and it was actually very nice!
so to anyone wanting a good and cheap bottle of rose, go for the $1.99 in trader joes!!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Arizona, I shop mainly at Safeway for everything except meat. Safeway's generic brands are great...they're cheaper and taste even better than name brands, in my opinion.

I buy almost all meat at Costco. Their prices are great, the quality is excellent, and even though it's "bulk" size, I cut it up into individual sevings and freeze it. It's usually just me at home, so I only have to go "meat shopping" a few times a year!

I've gone to Trader Joes many times and never find anything in there I've wanted to buy, except that's the only place I can find pistachio nutmeats and raw hazelnuts.

I tried Fresh n Easy for a while, and their produce is cheap enough, but it also is always on the verge of expiring. I was throwing away a lot because I couldn't use it fast enough, and I don't like to go grocery shopping every other day. They are good for canned goods and stuff like rice or beans, but I also don't like to make multiple trips when grocery shopping. I figure the gas I'd spend going from Safeway to Fresh n Easy is the same as the few cents more I pay at Safeway for the canned goods.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety

btw while in trader joes yesterday, I was looking at some rose wine (well between 2 bottles of white zinfandel) which were about $5/$6 each and this guy came to me and said "if you want a good white zinfandel, go for the one over there (pointing at another place in the store) the bottle was $1.99!!! I took one to try and it was actually very nice!
so to anyone wanting a good and cheap bottle of rose, go for the $1.99 in trader joes!!
Yes the bread is sweet isn't it, I hate it. I got a bread maker and make my own probably three or four loaves a month just to get away from the sweet stuff.
You have discovered 2 buck chuck at Trader joes, I thought it had gone up to $3 now.
Check their freezer they have really good frozen whole haricot beans, nicer than anywhere else I've tried, and I like the jam and ketchup, they have sugar in it not high fructose corn syrup.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes the bread is sweet isn't it, I hate it. I got a bread maker and make my own probably three or four loaves a month just to get away from the sweet stuff.
You have discovered 2 buck chuck at Trader joes, I thought it had gone up to $3 now.
Check their freezer they have really good frozen whole haricot beans, nicer than anywhere else I've tried, and I like the jam and ketchup, they have sugar in it not high fructose corn syrup.
ahah so its not like a promotion or anything?? I told hubby (after testing the wine) that I must go back to take more bottles before the promotion runs out
if its a normal price then I wont as I dont want to look desperate
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ahah so its not like a promotion or anything?? I told hubby (after testing the wine) that I must go back to take more bottles before the promotion runs out
You get a % off for buying crates of 6 bottles or more I think....I've seen people walking out with 5 crates of the Chuck stuff...but then down my way, there's only one TJ that sells booze, so folks come from aways and stock up
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Depends on the bread, the white is a bit sweet, but the oat and wheat aren't sweet.

The wines aren't bad either if going for the budget end of the scale, which is me The house red isn't to bad of a Frog wine either and it's nicer than the $3 two buck chuck stuff, which still isn't entirely shit if using it for cooking.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

A few years ago we used to buy quite a lot of this two buck chuck. One of the things the discerning wine consumer used to do, apparently, was buy one bottle of the type they wanted to stock up on. Go out to the parking lot, taste it. And if it was good, go in and buy a few cases. Apparently the quality is highly variable.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
A few years ago we used to buy quite a lot of this two buck chuck. One of the things the discerning wine consumer used to do, apparently, was buy one bottle of the type they wanted to stock up on. Go out to the parking lot, taste it. And if it was good, go in and buy a few cases. Apparently the quality is highly variable.
Yes I've noticed that.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Here in Arizona, I shop mainly at Safeway for everything except meat. Safeway's generic brands are great...they're cheaper and taste even better than name brands, in my opinion.

I buy almost all meat at Costco. Their prices are great, the quality is excellent, and even though it's "bulk" size, I cut it up into individual sevings and freeze it. It's usually just me at home, so I only have to go "meat shopping" a few times a year!

I've gone to Trader Joes many times and never find anything in there I've wanted to buy, except that's the only place I can find pistachio nutmeats and raw hazelnuts.

I tried Fresh n Easy for a while, and their produce is cheap enough, but it also is always on the verge of expiring. I was throwing away a lot because I couldn't use it fast enough, and I don't like to go grocery shopping every other day. They are good for canned goods and stuff like rice or beans, but I also don't like to make multiple trips when grocery shopping. I figure the gas I'd spend going from Safeway to Fresh n Easy is the same as the few cents more I pay at Safeway for the canned goods.

Rene
When Safeway has it's specials on meat (especially beef), I think it would be hard to beat the prices. New York steaks at $5.99 per pound is hard to beat.

I don't know if you also login to the their web site for the personalized deals. Usually the personal deals last about 3 months and are not advertised but the discount is automatically taken when you check out if you purchase that item and previously checked that that item on their web site. For example, Rib Eye streaks will be $10.99 per pound (unless on a weekly special) if you don't check the item on the web site but $5.84 per pound if you do.

Normally about every three months I go to the web site and check the items that I might buy.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Fresh & Easy for many every day stuff -- milk, coffee ice cream. If you can, go in about 4 pm and check the section where they put the stuff about to expire -- 50% off -- hit or miss. I often buy their ready made meals there to be frozen and pop in the microwave when I don't feel like cooking. Their ginger snap cookies are good.

Trader Joe's -- it used to be better and they don't seem care about salt content. However, they are the only place that carries salt free crunchy peanut butter! And of course, Two Buck Chuck.

Ralphs seems to have the best produce.

Gelsons has three stores in OC -- Irvine, Newport Beach & Dana Point. Pricey but good.

I think it is worth it to join Costco. They have the cheapest gasoline around [Unfortunately, my local one does not have a gas station]. Some of their food items are not all that bad. It is good for toilet paper [one of their best selling items!]. Same for dish-soap & laundry detergent. For a family dinner, meat is good. Much of the problem with Costco is that they do not sell items in small packages! I buy their Kirkland "House Blend" coffee beans for my morning coffee. Also, a good place to purchase several gallons of bottled water for your earthquake kit.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

Also, a good place to purchase several gallons of bottled water for your earthquake kit.
earthquake kit? what earthquake kit??
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
When Safeway has it's specials on meat (especially beef), I think it would be hard to beat the prices. New York steaks at $5.99 per pound is hard to beat.

I don't know if you also login to the their web site for the personalized deals. Usually the personal deals last about 3 months and are not advertised but the discount is automatically taken when you check out if you purchase that item and previously checked that that item on their web site. For example, Rib Eye streaks will be $10.99 per pound (unless on a weekly special) if you don't check the item on the web site but $5.84 per pound if you do.

Normally about every three months I go to the web site and check the items that I might buy.
Good tip, thanks for that!

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

earthquake kit? what earthquake kit??
You prepare one....anyone in a disaster zone probably has some kind of kit easily reachable in case they lose power/water for a few days.

Bottles of water, torches and batteries, copy of important ID locked in a box, canned foods and opener, blanket....that kind of stuff....either under your bed or the garage etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.