Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

grocery stores in OC

Wikiposts

grocery stores in OC

Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default grocery stores in OC

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could let me know if there is any "order" of quality/price for food shopping in the OC/CA area?
Ie: in england from cheapest to more expensive I would say
Asda, tesco, sainsbury etc...
could anyone help me with the shops here like Ralphs, trader joes, albertsons etc..
thank you!
Laety
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:22 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: grocery stores in OC

Out of that list I say
1. Trader joes
We shop Safeway which is Vons in OC.
Walmart is the bottom of my food shopping list, nasty place.
I don't like Albertsons I've never been in a Ralphs.
Not sure if you have Raleys/BelAir in SoCal but they are really nice too.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

actually just been to a trader joes which was good! it was very small though so I might try another one nearby. Ill see for the others as I never heard about them
thanks! :-)
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
actually just been to a trader joes which was good! it was very small though so I might try another one nearby. Ill see for the others as I never heard about them
thanks! :-)

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/s...oe-trader.html

I like all 3 of these listed.

#1 Trader Joes
#2 Stater Brothers
#3 Ralphs
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Walmart and Target has fairly good prices but limited selection and usually don't have very good specials on their groceries. Target generally has fairly good prices on laundry, cosmetic, and hygiene products.

Of the major chains, Albertsons probably has the overall lowest prices.

Safeway has good meats and produce and generally have weekly specials that can be very good.

We don't have Ralphs in Northern California but Raleys is also good and similar to Safeway.

Trader Joes is nice but generally more expensive since it is a speciality store.

In Northern California we also have supermarkets called Dragers which is a step above all the others but is also more expensive.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

great thanks! and are you aware of any stores that sell "dorset cereals" or equivalent? we only have been here 2 weeks and my husband already "craves" them! :-)
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
great thanks! and are you aware of any stores that sell "dorset cereals" or equivalent? we only have been here 2 weeks and my husband already "craves" them! :-)
Mothers Market in Santa Ana sells the Dorset cereals brand of Muesli etc.

http://www.mothersmarket.com/

They have Markets all over the OC.

Last edited by Oregon4now; Oct 17th 2011 at 12:48 pm. Reason: Forgot the link
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

thats great!! thank you very much! hubby will be thrilled
I was going to say : he found them while on business trip in Japan so they had to be somewhere here too!
thanks again !
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I seem to think that I might have seen them in Whole Foods, but can't say 100%. If not, they'll definitely have something similar.
And in terms of positioning, I'd say WF is much more expensive then Target, Safeway, Albertsons; more expensive than Trader Joe's; but cheaper than Dragers (surely everywhere is cheaper than Dragers, I spotted a large pot of marmite there for $24 last week!!! Yikes).

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/all/
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Trader Joes is nice but generally more expensive since it is a speciality store.
Really? I've found it generally to be very good on prices and a lot cheaper for a lot of stuff.

The thing about grocery shopping here, rarely do I find doing it all in one shop as some are great for certain things, TJ for frozen and snacks, Hannafords for meats, Target for household stuff, etc, etc.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Walmart and Target has fairly good prices but limited selection and usually don't have very good specials on their groceries. Target generally has fairly good prices on laundry, cosmetic, and hygiene products.

Of the major chains, Albertsons probably has the overall lowest prices.

Safeway has good meats and produce and generally have weekly specials that can be very good.

We don't have Ralphs in Northern California but Raleys is also good and similar to Safeway.

In Northern California we also have supermarkets called Dragers which is a step above all the others but is also more expensive.
Totally different around here. Albertsons is the most expensive, Ralphs very similar to Albertsons, Trader Joes is much cheaper.

Wal Mart is good if you like super-sweet bread
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to shop in Vons/pavillions ~ I would say they are like sainsbury's at home. They are slightly more expensive but have great deals and great range of products. I have an albertsons at the end of my street so tend to run in there for emergency stuff (wine, mostly.....) I would say it's like Tesco, but I don't think it's cheap. Do you have a Fresh and Easy near you ~ I wouldn't be able to do a weekly shop there but they do have great fresh produce, if you're not worried about a long sell by date.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Really? I've found it generally to be very good on prices and a lot cheaper for a lot of stuff.

The thing about grocery shopping here, rarely do I find doing it all in one shop as some are great for certain things, TJ for frozen and snacks, Hannafords for meats, Target for household stuff, etc, etc.
I found Trader Joes to be cheaper and better for speciality items such as Indian curries but is more expensive for the run of the mill products such as breads, dairy products, soda, meats, produce, and general canned products.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

I do most of my shopping at Pavilions (Safeway) and sometimes go to Ralphs or Albertsons. Hate Trader Joes. If you have a Big Lots near you check them out for toilet paper, paper towel, laundry soap, cleaning products and wine. Hubby gets most of his wine there for $3.50 - $4.00 a bottle.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:58 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
I prefer to shop in Vons/pavillions ~ I would say they are like sainsbury's at home. They are slightly more expensive but have great deals and great range of products. I have an albertsons at the end of my street so tend to run in there for emergency stuff (wine, mostly.....) I would say it's like Tesco, but I don't think it's cheap. Do you have a Fresh and Easy near you ~ I wouldn't be able to do a weekly shop there but they do have great fresh produce, if you're not worried about a long sell by date.
What are you doing on here and how did you know there was a post on OC or do you check up on here everyday and not post?

I love Fresh and Easy, do virtually all my shopping there, it's especially great now they have such a wide stock of British food

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.