Reload this Page >

greencard to citizenship

greencard to citizenship

Old Aug 26th 2002, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

patrickloyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default greencard to citizenship

Re-phrasing the question.

I'm having my US Citizenship interview this August of 2002. If I marry before getting my citizenship to someone without a status living here in the US, would that hinder me from getting my visa. And if I marry her before I get my citizenship...would that expedite the process of her getting a working visa or should I just wait until I am done with my interview and the oath taking?
I am marrying her in good faith...simple as that.
please reply....
thanks in advance...

Last edited by patrickloyd; Aug 26th 2002 at 11:26 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:52 am
Des

Default Re: greencard to citizenship

Hello Patrick,

as you have your citizenship interview in two days, and are almost done... no need to
worry. I don't think that the part of the marriage is going to be a problem, you only
need to make sure that the filing for the adjustment of status is not going to be
before you have your naturalization certificate in hand. As a USC, you can then
sponsor your foreign spouse for adjustment of status, i.e. conditional permanent
residency. The premise for this is that she is only "out of status" but entered the
US with inspection / valid visa / tourist waiver...

If you were to file for her adjustment of status without being a USC, you are bound
to be apart for a long time as an alien number is not immediately available to her.

A good site to read up on is the "tourist adjustment" link at the Doc Steen website
(Alvena or Rete have them in their signatures).

- des

Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:19 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: greencard to citizenship

==

patrickloyd wrote:
    > Re-phrasing the question.
    > I'm having my US Citizenship interview this August of 2002. If I marry before
    > getting my citizenship to someone without a status living here in the US, would
    > that hinder me from getting my visa.

What visa? It won't hinder you from gettig your citizenship, assuming there is no
fraud involved.

And if I marry her
    > before I get my citizenship...would that expedite the process of her getting a
    > working visa]

Marrying her has nothing to do with her getting a work visa. When you get your
citizenship, you can sponsor her for residency and she could then apply employment
authorization while waiting for status to be adjusted to permanent resident. But..
that isn't a work visa or a visa at all.

or should I just wait until I am done with my
    > interview and the oath taking? I am marrying her in good faith...simple as that.
    > please reply.... thanks in advance...
    > --
    > Patrick
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com